The Edge possibly a better vocalist than Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
Now hear me out first before every starts calling me crazy:laugh: Bono is a phenomenal vocalist no doubt. He's got that "it" factor that other singers don't have. He's got rock and soul and a falsetto that rockers don't normally have. Haveing said all that, alot of times when the band performs live The Edge's voice sounds alot stronger than Bono's. His backing vocals sound as if they're coming from a lead singer and he's obviously got the better falsetto of the two nowadays. Is it possible that by not haveing to use his voice nearly as much as Bono over the years that mayeb now The Edge if he were to sing more could have the stronger voice of the two. I'm not suggesting The Edge be the lead singer or anything like that but since they are gettting older and The Edge's voice seems to be a little more "fresh" would be a stretch to think that they may start writting songs which include The Edge's vocals a little more. Maybe a few more duets somewhat between Bono and The Edge. I mean I thought The Edge's voice sounded awesome on Van Deiman's Land and his vocal performance on Numb was impressive:lol: I'm not saying I want The Edge on vocals necessarily but hey why not?

I agree with everything you've said. I love Bono to pieces, and I love his voice too (duh!), but I've always noticed that Edge has a beautiful voice (and it seems to be getting better, or at least more noticable in the last few years).

DreamOutLoud13 said:
more noticable in the last few years).

That's exactly it I think. Due to the strain on Bonos voice from singing for 30 years The Edge's voice is more noticeable now and sounds stronger than ever. They're like a football team with two starting quarterbacks. They're like Oasis in that they could if they absolutely had to switch out singers and it would sound great either way. having said all this I thought Bono's voice was great at all 5 shows I saw on the Vertigo tour.

Did I just say U2 are like Oasis:eyebrow:

More duets would be nice. However, some fans start complaining about too many acoustic songs in the setlists when they do those.

Edge actually hit higher notes than Bono , and he yes does have a beautiful voice , it's another amazing thing about this , who doesn't know him too much , like see a song like B day , he making great backing , but think he only does that , backings , like thousands of rock bands , but actually he can sing , there's no doubt edge has such a voice , u gotta just hear the treatment He gave to Sunday in popmart , but the thing is just as Bono can't play a whole concert guitar , I don't think it would be like cool , edge doing like a whole concert , besides he wouldn't be able to give all the attention to the guitar , so it's like leave for the special moments . Besides pretty obvious , bono does have a great voice , though it's having a lot of problems , u can't just picture in ur head , streets without his voice.

I'd like to hear Edge sing an entire song (other than Van Diemen's Land, Sunday Bloody Sunday on Popmart, or Karaoke)

Imagine Edge singing "With Or Without You" ... or even "Bad" :ohmy:

Just because someone has a nice voice doesn't make them a great rock singer.

I think they are using Edge on vocals exactly how they should be - in a supporting role.

I wouldn't mind hearing Edge sing more in the studio, but I don't think he would be very good at the lead role during concerts, like the person above said, it's not all about a good voice, it's about showmanship, entertaining, and attitude.

macphisto23 said:
I wouldn't mind hearing Edge sing more in the studio, but I don't think he would be very good at the lead role during concerts, like the person above said, it's not all about a good voice, it's about showmanship, entertaining, and attitude.

So true. I've always been a fan of the frontman not haveing the responsibility of playing an instruement. A few songs here and there dosn't hurt though but when the singer is always stuck behind a guitar it's not as fun. By no means am i suggesting The Edge be the frontman and Boo play lead on guitar:laugh: I just find it intersting from everything we've ever heard The Edge has a really good voice and it's rarely ever show cased. I'll use the Oasis comparison again, I love both Liam and Noel's voices and I think it's cool that every once in awhile Noel performs entire songs and even ones where Liam recorded the vocals. Like Bono's Shades said I think it'd be cool to hear the Edge sing something like With or Without You with Bono on backing vocals.

Edge doesn't have the range or the fullness Bono has. I'm bias towards Bono so I asked my fiancee, a trained singer and he said Edge's got nothing against Bono. He has to strain so hard just to get a decent note out, and even then it can be rather nasal. Honestly I don't think Bono possesses a lot of natural talent, but just the fact that he's been singing for decades he's got infinitely more skill and technique than Edge. I like Edge on Van Diemen's Land, but some of the live performances are hard to listen to.

they (Bono and Edge) aren't in the same range, U2 songs are written for Bono to sing them (in D, I think), but maybe... maybe if Edge would start writing songs for himself in the right key for him, that would be awesome (that's part of my crazy of Edge as a soloist, releasing albums and such...)

Jack In The Box said:
they (Bono and Edge) aren't in the same range, U2 songs are written for Bono to sing them (in D, I think), but maybe... maybe if Edge would start writing songs for himself in the right key for him, that would be awesome (that's part of my crazy of Edge as a soloist, releasing albums and such...)

What are you talking about?

You think every U2 song is in the key of D?

There are plenty of songs that were written in Edge's range, but he's just not that good of a singer to be a lead singer.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There are plenty of songs that were written in Edge's range, but he's just not that good of a singer to be a lead singer.

I wouldn't say The Edge isn't that good of a singer to be a lead singer, it's just that he's in a band with Bono.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

still, the songs are for Bono, and Edge on backing vocals, I mean... can't imagine Edge singing With or Without You or Bad as some members above said

Bono's shades said:
Just because someone has a nice voice doesn't make them a great rock singer.

I think they are using Edge on vocals exactly how they should be - in a supporting role.

I couldn't agree more, i like The Edge's singing (excluding Numb) but i belive that right now a background vocalist is perfect and he is doing an excellent job so why chnage.

The thing that I love about U2 is that the members' individual greatness is dwarfed by the band's greatness. Edge has said that he sees his role as doing whatever he can do to make his lead man look best. And, the Edge does this well. One only has to think about SYCMIOYO's chorus - I mean, the falsetto is mostly edge's. He provides a "filler" effect to a lot of other vocals too. His voice on most of these songs sounds great.
But, Bono's voice is just something that goes beyond. I'm, of course, thinking of his wails during New Years Day, Streets, SYCMIOYO, and his Miss Sarajevo.
I dunno...i just think it's unfair to compare the vocal talents of these two individuals. Their lack of individualism in their music is what makes U2 that great entity it is.

I agree to some extent.

Obviously Bono has it all vocally. But Edge has a great set of pipes and does just fine on his own.

I make the "VERY GENERAL" comparision of Bono/Edge w/ Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains. Layne had such a unique sound was a brillaint singer, but Jerry Cantrell has a great voice as well and their harmonies together were pure magic.....just like Bono and Edge.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Honestly I don't think Bono possesses a lot of natural talent, but just the fact that he's been singing for decades he's got infinitely more skill and technique than Edge.

I think Bono's vocal talent (at his peak) was in the "one in a billion" range. Pavarotti is not the type to do a duet with a untalented singer.

Edges voice is a great backup voice, but he have no voice like Bono. Bono is a much better singer, by far. Bonos voice is great, while Edges voice is good. There is a very big difference in quality, and Bono has of course better technique. Edge is simply not a lead singer, but a backup singer, and he does that very well.

For a while now, I've thought about what it would be like to have The Edge and Bono sharing song writing / vocals equally on an album. :up: It would be great. Plenty of bands alternate lead vocals on their albums and have successful results. It doesn't have to be all Bono all the time. Also, this would give Bono a chance to brush up on the geetar. :wink:

Not that it'll happen, but anyway.

blueyedpoet said:
The thing that I love about U2 is that the members' individual greatness is dwarfed by the band's greatness.

Agreed, but even the acoustic duets give me goosebumps. So, I think Bono and The Edge together have something truly unique.

I've always thought Edge's voice is ultra precise. He doesn't waver and has a nice crystal bell sound (kinda like Garfunkel). That being said, Bono is better in his passion and his soul (like Simon).

Dr. Lemonseed said:
I've always thought Edge's voice is ultra precise. He doesn't waver and has a nice crystal bell sound (kinda like Garfunkel). That being said, Bono is better in his passion and his soul (like Simon).

Someone should tell edge and bono this....they're the new simon and garfunkel:rockon:

I dunno. I like Edge's voice - except for that damned nasal falsetto. I swear it makes my ears itch. I want to strangle the man. He has no support for the falsetto. natural voice, though, is beautiful. H could stand to hear him sing alone, just no falsettos / please/!

Back
Top Bottom