the edge-master of beautiful guitar solos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prideofzootv

War Child
the edge has to be the master of guitar solos, best solos i have heard thus far have to be (and i mean performed live):

walk on-sydney 2006, beautiful at the end
kite melbourn 2006
the fly elevation boston 2001
with or without you zootv washington 1992

there are many more, please feel free to add to the list, must be song-show-year,so if anyone wants to download they can

awaits the inevitable "the edge doesn't do solo's" arguments to begin...

i would say edge makes some beautiful atmospheric semi-solo's... but as far as true solo's, i don't think he has too many, and doesn't really compare to many guitar players out there... the point of course is that he doesn't try to be like those guitar players, he is what he is.

prideofzootv said:

the fly elevation boston 2001

Must be his best solos ever.

Here's some other great moments:

Silver and Gold(R&H)
All Along The Watchtower(Lovetown)
WOWY(JT/LT)
LIB
WTSHNN(Live)

and lets not forget the banjo version of Vertigo :)

The Fly (Elevation live)
Kite (Vertigo Melbourne)
When I Look At The World
Acrobat
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Please (Live)
Dirty Day (Live)
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Gone (Elevation Live)

The Fly has a decent solo, and so does Bullet...

Edge doesn't have 'real' rock solo's, he has his own unique way of making solos and finishing the songs... that's one of the things that make me like him even more, he's different from the 'standard' rock guitarist...

The Edge is not what you would call a great guitarist for solos. Vertigo is a prime example of a terrible solo in a middle of a song and Crumbs from your table is virtually the same playout as Electrical Storm. In fact most of his later works have been pretty ordinary when you compare the standout of his career, Achtung Baby with The Fly, Even Better, Until The End & Love Is Blindness.....some of the best solos he ever did. Edges main strength is not guitar solos and never has been. His rhythm guitar and chord work are what set him out as a great guitarist. The imagination he shows in songs such as Until the End Of The World and The Fly set him apart from many guitarists. Still he's not fit to lace Jimi Hendrixs boots when it comes to actual guitar solos, although having said that none is!

europop2005 said:

The end solo on the Boston DVD, before he slams the guitar

I knew . but still , i wouldn't call that a solo or something like , he just went some chords fast and that's it ...... anyway

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
The Edge is not what you would call a great guitarist for solos. Vertigo is a prime example of a terrible solo in a middle of a song and Crumbs from your table is virtually the same playout as Electrical Storm. In fact most of his later works have been pretty ordinary when you compare the standout of his career, Achtung Baby with The Fly, Even Better, Until The End & Love Is Blindness.....some of the best solos he ever did. Edges main strength is not guitar solos and never has been. His rhythm guitar and chord work are what set him out as a great guitarist. The imagination he shows in songs such as Until the End Of The World and The Fly set him apart from many guitarists. Still he's not fit to lace Jimi Hendrixs boots when it comes to actual guitar solos, although having said that none is!

QFT!

BANZAI said:
Best (and his longest) solo ever: Love is Blindness Zoo TV Tour

You should all hear the version of LIB from Kiel 06-13-92.
That version has a very extensive solo + a bit of All Along The Watchtower lines thrown in it.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Dissers have to remember that U2 came out of a place where the classic rock doofuses appropriated old blues licks and made them into gross dude-rock. Edge has always shied away from the most elemental blues-rock cliches. He can rip off that sort of thing (BBTS ZooTV, for one), but he's always been a chord and texture guy. He may not be as flashy as a Hendrix or as technically proficient as a Fripp even.

But then again, it's not a cock-measuring contest.

Is an edge-master like a Stairmaster? :hmm:

In all seriousness, though, I'm in awe of Edge's precision. Not that he necessarily plays the exact same notes in every live performance, but that his playing gives off the same emotion. I think the moment that really made me fully realize this is when I saw them play UTEOW in Buffalo almost two years ago. I could believe at the end of the song when Edge was running full-speed around the ellipse away from Bono, who was also running full-speed, yet he was still thundering out that amazing part at the end pitch perfectly. How many guitarists couldn't even play that standing still?

last unicorn said:
Kite from Sydney and Melbourne 2006 is just amazingly intense, beautiful and moving, great solo, great performance! :heart:

:bow:

Make me cry every time. :heart:

May I just add - possibly one of the simplest parts in his catalogue but the most beautiful - wowy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom