The Edge / John Frusciante - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:54 AM
The Edge / John Frusciante

Listening to the new RHCP record Stadium Arcadia today and I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante. They both have that same raw, less is more quality although they are very different guitar players.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:54 PM
There are some good players out there, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Frusciante is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, period.
There isn't a better example of being able to show off tremendous talent + have restraint enough to be tasteful.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:54 AM
what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Re: The Edge / John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally posted by laurent37
I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante.
Let me guess: you haven't heard of Steven Wilson or John Petrucci?

There are plenty of great and exciting guitar players out there, it's just that modern popular music and guitar artistry are not good friends.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
New Yorker

What I noticed about Stadium Arcadium is that John is sound like Edge more than ever , like a song in the 2nd disc , I could swear it was a u2 tune .
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!!
dude that band wins for the name alone. FUCKIN' EXTREME DEWD, WOOOOOOOOO!!!

I really need to get Stadium Arcadium. But it costs monies.

I wouldn't say they are the only "real great and exciting" guitar players out there, but they are probably some of the most exciting. But that is purely opinion.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.

And there are ALOT of great guitarists, just not in popular music.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.
I'm not trying to single you out or anything, because people say this all the time, you just happened to be one of them. I'm just curious as to why everyone says that. Just because he plays in a restrained manner doesn't mean he isn't technically proficient. I'm not saying he is the greatest guitarist to ever live, but I do think he is more "technically" talented than people give him credit for. The man has been playing for 30 years. I'm thinking he could probably solo for the rest of his life if he felt like it. I don't know how good his speed is. I can't really imagine him shredding, though with a name like The Edge he ought to but I do think he could play more than he lets on.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Someone said previously that The Edge is good at what he does. Allow me to go a step further: The Edge is the BEST at what he does. It's next to impossible to come up with a signature sound these days, but he did it. No one - including Coldplay's guitar player (who I believe to be terribly ordinary...otherwise we'd know his name) - can get away with using a guitar sound that is heavy laiden with delay, reverb, sustain, etc. without being compared to The Edge.

That said, I would not call him a "great" guitar player. The Edge is known for his sound, not his talent, although he is an incredibly talented and imaginative guitar player. When I started playing guitar I learned by listening and playng U2 songs for two reasons: 1) I loved the band, and 2) their songs are VERY easy to play, especially their earlier stuff. But that's what I think makes The Edge and U2 as a whole such an incredible band. I think it was Brian Eno who said "Bevity is the essence of wit." Couldn't agree more.

Also, John Fruscianti is so much fun to watch and listen to. Can't wait to hear the Chili Peppers's lastest offering.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
New Yorker

Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......
Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Well said, X-it 7. The Edge is very good at what he does, but he isn't a technical wizard at all. An effects wizard, yes, but not a technical wizard. U2 are a good band to start out with when you're learning guitar, provided that you've got a multieffects pedal or at least a delay pedal. But if you want to grow as a guitarist, it's important that you branch out and play other things. If you get stuck on Edge's style, you can sort of stagnate and end up sounding like a cheap carbon copy (ala John Buckland of Coldplay).

And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.
Only 1.

2 note lead on "Especially In Michigan."

I thought Edge. Simplicity of notes, rhythm type lead bit.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......
It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
New Yorker

Did you listen the 2 discs ? Not sayin Frusc has a similar style , saying he was using some U2ish effects and colors , and some really close licks
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Only 1.

2 note lead on "Especially In Michigan."

I thought Edge. Simplicity of notes, rhythm type lead bit.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.
OK, maybe slightly on that one. He's kind of got a bit of that Edgy "drone" thing going on. But the similarity is only very slight. I'd say the only time when John Frusciante has sounded like Edge is on the Don't Forget Me solo - it reminds me a bit of Acrobat.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
New Yorker

Quote:

It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.
Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP

Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown
Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Tom Morello is currently the best guitar player now.

his guitar playing is out of this world
Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:

Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.
Guess u didnt hear the Last nite in Rotterdam then .... Anyway I dont wanna turn this into a bid discussion thing or like , or make a comment that may sound sexist about your last opinion and views with guitar GG but the thing is , I got this view , I think u agree that any guitar player after some good years of practice can get a guitar , and make crazy solos with it , it's just practice , practice and more practice . While many were regarded as heros in history coz they did show their skills thats good , but to me it looks like more a skill itself than a gift , which is the thing , they can do great solos but thats it , they dont have a lot left in pockets .

While Edge on the other hand , went for the non-hero type , and he shined , which is great coz , it shows that he's more complete than a lot , coz he did step into a not so known territory , but I dont think this diminished his 'tech ' skills , this thing of just coz He doesnt do often big solos , He cant do , thats just...... guess u know the word
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Nah... Edge is Edge! He has got the brains!