The Edge / John Frusciante - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: amsterdam
Posts: 362
Local Time: 04:54 AM
The Edge / John Frusciante

Listening to the new RHCP record Stadium Arcadia today and I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante. They both have that same raw, less is more quality although they are very different guitar players.
__________________

laurent37 is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 09:54 PM
There are some good players out there, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Frusciante is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, period.
There isn't a better example of being able to show off tremendous talent + have restraint enough to be tasteful.
__________________

U2DMfan is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
New Yorker
 
shaun vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: LA.cal ROCKnRoll city!
Posts: 3,192
Local Time: 03:54 AM
what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!!
shaun vox is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Re: The Edge / John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally posted by laurent37
I have come to the conclusion that the only real great and exciting guitar players these days are Edge and John Frusciante.
Let me guess: you haven't heard of Steven Wilson or John Petrucci?

There are plenty of great and exciting guitar players out there, it's just that modern popular music and guitar artistry are not good friends.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 03:54 AM
What I noticed about Stadium Arcadium is that John is sound like Edge more than ever , like a song in the 2nd disc , I could swear it was a u2 tune .
J_NP is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
what about the guitar player from coldplay( he has edge written all over him)

anywho Nuno Bettencourt (guitar player from the band EXTREME)
can sweep the floor with edge and Frusciante combined!!
dude that band wins for the name alone. FUCKIN' EXTREME DEWD, WOOOOOOOOO!!!

I really need to get Stadium Arcadium. But it costs monies.

I wouldn't say they are the only "real great and exciting" guitar players out there, but they are probably some of the most exciting. But that is purely opinion.
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.

And there are ALOT of great guitarists, just not in popular music.
shart1780 is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Edge is great at what he does, but he's not technically that great.
I'm not trying to single you out or anything, because people say this all the time, you just happened to be one of them. I'm just curious as to why everyone says that. Just because he plays in a restrained manner doesn't mean he isn't technically proficient. I'm not saying he is the greatest guitarist to ever live, but I do think he is more "technically" talented than people give him credit for. The man has been playing for 30 years. I'm thinking he could probably solo for the rest of his life if he felt like it. I don't know how good his speed is. I can't really imagine him shredding, though with a name like The Edge he ought to but I do think he could play more than he lets on.
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 126
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Someone said previously that The Edge is good at what he does. Allow me to go a step further: The Edge is the BEST at what he does. It's next to impossible to come up with a signature sound these days, but he did it. No one - including Coldplay's guitar player (who I believe to be terribly ordinary...otherwise we'd know his name) - can get away with using a guitar sound that is heavy laiden with delay, reverb, sustain, etc. without being compared to The Edge.

That said, I would not call him a "great" guitar player. The Edge is known for his sound, not his talent, although he is an incredibly talented and imaginative guitar player. When I started playing guitar I learned by listening and playng U2 songs for two reasons: 1) I loved the band, and 2) their songs are VERY easy to play, especially their earlier stuff. But that's what I think makes The Edge and U2 as a whole such an incredible band. I think it was Brian Eno who said "Bevity is the essence of wit." Couldn't agree more.

Also, John Fruscianti is so much fun to watch and listen to. Can't wait to hear the Chili Peppers's lastest offering.
X-it 7 is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......
J_NP is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 11:54 PM
Well said, X-it 7. The Edge is very good at what he does, but he isn't a technical wizard at all. An effects wizard, yes, but not a technical wizard. U2 are a good band to start out with when you're learning guitar, provided that you've got a multieffects pedal or at least a delay pedal. But if you want to grow as a guitarist, it's important that you branch out and play other things. If you get stuck on Edge's style, you can sort of stagnate and end up sounding like a cheap carbon copy (ala John Buckland of Coldplay).

And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
And J_NP, I really don't hear any similarity between John Frusciante and Edge on Stadium Arcadium. He has a completely different style.
Only 1.

2 note lead on "Especially In Michigan."

I thought Edge. Simplicity of notes, rhythm type lead bit.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
Oh Hell , now this thread looks like a diminishing edges talent......
It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Did you listen the 2 discs ? Not sayin Frusc has a similar style , saying he was using some U2ish effects and colors , and some really close licks
J_NP is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


Only 1.

2 note lead on "Especially In Michigan."

I thought Edge. Simplicity of notes, rhythm type lead bit.

No, he doens't own that sound, he just uses it alot.
OK, maybe slightly on that one. He's kind of got a bit of that Edgy "drone" thing going on. But the similarity is only very slight. I'd say the only time when John Frusciante has sounded like Edge is on the Don't Forget Me solo - it reminds me a bit of Acrobat.
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


It's not "diminishing Edge's talent," it's stating the facts. He isn't the most technically advanced player. And even if he is capable of playing like all the guitar heroes of the past, he has given very few examples to support the notion. For the average guitar player, learning a U2 song doesn't take much time at all. The hardest song in U2's repitoire is probably the Zoo TV version of Bullet The Blue Sky, and even that's not terribly difficult. What is difficult is getting it to sound right. Edge's real talent lies in his ability to create atmosphere with his effects processors. It's nearly impossible to sound exactly like The Edge.
Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown
J_NP is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP


Not trying to make this into a big guitar discussion , but your notion of a great guitar player is a man who writes difficult songs ? *Trys to sound disappointed as in Bonos call to White House* You mean u cant really call Edge a her coz he doesnt write difficult stuff ?

and BTW again People if this is gonna be a turn into Edge cant play Hendrix solos like discussio , please go listen some boots of LoveTown
Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,092
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Tom Morello is currently the best guitar player now.

his guitar playing is out of this world
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #19
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.
Guess u didnt hear the Last nite in Rotterdam then .... Anyway I dont wanna turn this into a bid discussion thing or like , or make a comment that may sound sexist about your last opinion and views with guitar GG but the thing is , I got this view , I think u agree that any guitar player after some good years of practice can get a guitar , and make crazy solos with it , it's just practice , practice and more practice . While many were regarded as heros in history coz they did show their skills thats good , but to me it looks like more a skill itself than a gift , which is the thing , they can do great solos but thats it , they dont have a lot left in pockets .

While Edge on the other hand , went for the non-hero type , and he shined , which is great coz , it shows that he's more complete than a lot , coz he did step into a not so known territory , but I dont think this diminished his 'tech ' skills , this thing of just coz He doesnt do often big solos , He cant do , thats just...... guess u know the word
J_NP is offline  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,543
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Nah... Edge is Edge! He has got the brains!
__________________

Aygo is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×