The Edge / John Frusciante

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

:lol:

Are you serious? Tell that to Carlos Santana. Or Joe Satriani. Or Steve Vai. Or Eric Clapton. Or David Gilmour. Or Brian May. Believe me, those guys have "the gift." You'd need skill to replicate their riffs and solos, but you'd need more than simple skill to actually write their riffs and solos.

But anyway, this thread is about The Edge and John Frusciante. I was supposed to be done with this forum anyway, so that's the last I'll say on that.

When I said that , I meant the empty guitarrists that only survive on their solos , thats definitely not the case of these people , well at least not Santana , Clapton and specially Gilmour . Satriani and Vai you cant analize together coz they were solo guitarrists , they rely on it , it's a '' bit '' different than being in a band.

In fact look for example david Gilmour , He sure wasnt 'shy' on his solos , like others but he wasnt that really I'm a solo man , in fact get edge's 5 biggest solos , specially live , they arent far away from Gilmour . In Fact I just noticed the vertigo bullet solo does sound a bit like Gilmour.

Santana as well is a solo artist , but he doesnt shine only on his long solos , he has a particular way of playing , like Edge built his own style , and he did shine on some really great rhythms as well.

J_NP said:

he has a particular way of playing , like Edge built his own style , and he did shine on some really great rhythms as well.

Flying FuManchu said:

Also it helps to be the first one to hit big with what you do which fits Edge to a T.

It's important to note that Edge's early guitar work was directly influenced by the likes of Will Sergeant of Echo & the Bunnymen, Television, and The Clash. While his style evolved into something that was incredibly distinct from mainstream, the seeds of that originality came from those bands.

Frusciante didn't start to impress me until these last 2 records.

Why?

The songs he's playing on got better, and better, and better.

He's shown incedible feel for the tunes. That's more important than any notes per minute acrobatics or theatrics.

I couldn't less if there's loads of guitarists out there that are technically better than the Edge. I love his sound and that's probably what drove me to loving U2 in the first place.

The thought of Edge trying to do big solo's in each of his songs just to show how good he is appalls me. He's a master of what he does and it's great :up:

Neither Edge nor John are technically great players, however, they both possess a set of astute and attentive ears, therefore negating the need to be virtuosic technicians.

Needless to say, my criteria for what constitutes a great guitarist is rather expansive, as in my opinion both George Harrison (elegantly simplistic) and Shawn Lane (unbelievably complex) deserve equal recognition.

Funnily enough, in regards to the thread concerning Flea and Adam, we could do a lot worse, as the technical disparity between the two, is not as wide a gulf, as there is between, say, Flea and Jaco Pastorius.

babyman said:
Uff.............

Steve Morse
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Michael Romeo
Eric Johnson
Robert Fripp

and so on and so on...............................

If that’s the game we’re playing… :wink:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Django Reinhardt
Tommy Emmanuel
Paco De Lucia
John McLaughlin
John Williams
Ali Di Meola
Miguel Llobet
Andres Segovia

In other words; great guitarists are quite often great guitarists for a whole host of disparate reasons. Whether or not that entails exquistite technical skill, or indeed, sublimely blatant ingenuity, remains a non issue in my opinion at least.

ZeroDude said:

If that’s the game we’re playing… :wink:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Django Reinhardt
Tommy Emmanuel
Paco De Lucia
John McLaughlin
John Williams
Ali Di Meola
Miguel Llobet
Andres Segovia

In other words; great guitarists are quite often great guitarists for a whole host of disparate reasons. Whether or not that entails exquistite technical skill, or indeed, sublimely blatant ingenuity, remains a non issue in my opinion at least.

:yes:

Exactly, old mate, exactly

:yes:

has any one heard the new guitarist for GUNS N ROSES!(He is the replacement for buckethead) gnr just played 3 shows and one surprise acoustic show in NY!! GNR IS back motherfuckers!!!!

i know totally random!

shaun vox said:
has any one heard the new guitarist for GUNS N ROSES!(He is the replacement for buckethead) gnr just played 3 shows and one surprise acoustic show in NY!! GNR IS back motherfuckers!!!!

i know totally random!

That would be Ron Thal; and despite the fact that he is an extremely gifted guitarist, unless Axl can write songs of a certain standard, within which Ron can ply his trade, this current incarnation of Guns & Roses will be of little interest to me.

In order to stay on topic, no matter how tenuously; both Edge and John are ‘great guitarists’ by my reckoning.

GibsonGirl said:

Did I say he wasn't a great guitar player? Saying someone isn't technically advanced is not the equivalent of saying he's "bad." Different guitarists are better at different things. Edge is better at atmospherics and rhythmic riffs than solos. So no, he's not like most traditional guitar heroes. He doesn't want to be, either. And yes, I've listened to Lovetown boots before, and yes, he did some interesting solos during that time period. Nothing that could compare to Hendrix however.

My 13 year old son has been playing about a year, when I saw this thread I asked him to listen to Bullet and a few others, he picked them up immediately and can play them note for note.

Doesn't SOUND like the Edge though. Edge's Tom-Verlaine inspired talents are in his sounds and in his writing, not in being a virtuoso guitar player.

Same was true of Jimmy Page, probably the sloppiest live player I ever saw play, but a studio production, sound and songwriting genius.

Windmilllane said:
What about Eddie Van Halen?

I'd take Eddie Van Halen over The Edge and John Frusciante.

to paraphrase a recent quote from Sammy Hagar: 'there were some nights on the reunion tour that I got so upset at Eddie, times when he would be playing what seemed like totally different songs than the one we were actually playing" - Sounds like the guy has major problems

I cop a lot of shit because apparently The Edge is a 'cheat' guitarist - because he uses delay pedals. That hurts. The Edge is absolutely fantastic. I can't say what I want to say, I can't put it into words, but The Edge is very very good.

As I said in the Adam/Flea post, the RHCP are more about the bass than the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom