The Edge about New album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many people do you know who can name one song off ATYCLB other than Beautiful Day? How many off Achtung or Joshua Tree?

In fact, many people can name Elevation, Walk On, and others at least recognize Stuck In A Moment when heard.
From Achtung Baby? Probaby those people can name One and Mysterious Ways, and the other singles are only recognizable. The same happens with JT: they will name Still Haven't Found, With Or Without You, and probably Streets, but not God's Country or Bullet The Blue Sky.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB have been considered 2 of U2's best albums, and the press have hailed them, they have been included in the list of best albums from this decade in several music books, lists or other. So, that concept about considering what a masterpiece is, that's very relative...

I think I actually agree with Mr Shavers for once. Now, I do adore both of the past 2 albums, with Bomb ranking about #2 on my list of fav U2 albums, so let me make that clear up front.

The point that's trying to be put across is, when we look back at the 00's, will people say that was the decade HTDAAB came out man!

Will posters of the these albums be up in some kids room when movies are made about this decade? Probably not.

While these albums in my opinion are stronger song for song than anything U2 has put out in the past, I don't think they're as strong overall as JT and AB. And by strong I mean cultural impact.

We'll see what happens with the next album. Maybe it'll cross over the way JT and AB did, or maybe it'll just be a major success like the past 2 albums. There's nothing wrong with either case.

Cultural impact has as much if not more to do with the current culture as it does the strength of an album. Would Nevermind or Achtung Baby have mattered had they come out a few years later? Probably not. Songs would still be great, but the times were no longer 'right' for their arrival. Of course, this is conjecture, given that 'the times' spawned these records as much as their writers did. Maybe the reality is that a great album can no longer change things the way it once could. Perhaps in this digital age, a fantastic single could mean more. i.e. 'Beautiful Day' Nothing wrong with striving for this...

Last edited:
Dorian Gray said:
Cultural impact has as much if not more to do with the current culture as it does the strength of an album. Would Nevermind or Achtung Baby have mattered had they come out a few years later? Probably not. Songs would still be great, but the times were no longer 'right' for their arrival. Of course, this is conjecture, given that 'the times' spawned these records as much as their writers did. Maybe the reality is that a great album can no longer change things the way it once could. Perhaps in this digital age, a fantastic single could mean more. i.e. 'Beautiful Day' Nothing wrong with striving for this...

I think you provide some very strong points as well. In the age we live in today, a lot of us have access to information that back in the 80's early 90's did not. We our a society of Hype. We all get so excited anytime we hear something from the band about the music or direction they're going in, so we already have a preconceived image/sound in our heads. In the past, our first taste would be the lead single from the album and radio play.

I'm kind of at a loss of which I like more. I do love having this information at my fingertips, but I do miss the days of getting blindsided by a song or album when it hits the stores for the first time.

t8thgr8 said:
Pop shouldve waited a year.

Or more. And been sold differently from the get go. I've reserected Pop many times with people who wrote it off in 1997 based on reputation and haven't given it a chance since. For example, I work with a girl who owns it, and a few of us got caught in a U2 debate here at work. One guy gave the standard "Pop was bullshit" line when talking about U2's career, but then admitted he didn't own nor had he listened to the whole thing ever before. The girl piped up and said she owned it, but hadn't listened to it since she got it back in 97. I forced her to pull it out and listen end to end that night, she did, raves about it now and for a couple of weeks afterwards I got regular Pop treats booming out of the stereo on her desk here at work. She can't understand why she didn't like it initialy, or why it was panned generally.

BEAL said:
I think I actually agree with Mr Shavers for once. Now, I do adore both of the past 2 albums, with Bomb ranking about #2 on my list of fav U2 albums, so let me make that clear up front.

The point that's trying to be put across is, when we look back at the 00's, will people say that was the decade HTDAAB came out man!

Will posters of the these albums be up in some kids room when movies are made about this decade? Probably not.

While these albums in my opinion are stronger song for song than anything U2 has put out in the past, I don't think they're as strong overall as JT and AB. And by strong I mean cultural impact.

We'll see what happens with the next album. Maybe it'll cross over the way JT and AB did, or maybe it'll just be a major success like the past 2 albums. There's nothing wrong with either case.

It's tough because we are talking U2 here, and sometimes in this forum I think we are in a bit of a bubble and forget the reality of how huge U2 are and where their place is in most peoples minds. Any and every U2 album is going to be accompanied by massive hype, massive sales, massive debate, massive interest, and massive recognition. They reached that point a long time ago. In some ways it works against them, because it means it's too easy just to go "Another U2 album, massive, huge impact, great songs, we all expect this though".

I guess the true answer to this won't be known for another 10 years. I'd love to see one of their albums from this decade reach those heights. Just gaining a lot of attention and sales isn't quite what I'm talking about though. Even if The Bomb turned out to be the highest selling album by any artist in this decade, it's still not quite what I'm talking about.

KUEFC09U2 said:
dosent the fact they are even doing stuff for the new album say something? they still have another full leg of the tour to go, yet they have started coming up with things etc

Not really. U2 have always worked that way on just about every single album. They come up with ideas on the road throughout the tour and always have.

Mark my words, Beautiful Day will be a top contender for song of the decade when 2010 rolls around. It completely redefined how a veteran band finds itself after decades already in the book.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB will historically be considered as standard-bearing 3rd decade Rock albums. Careerist bands will look to how U2 used artistically 'finding' themselves after a long stretch of 'exploring' in the name of art as their 3rd decade 'reinvention'.

The phenomenon has already started. Depeche Mode's recent album is often compared to ATYCLB within the industry. Not because of style, but because of the 'rennaissance' factor. From what I gather, Pearl Jam's next release will be in the back to 'roots' vein. Thus, ATYCLB comparisons are imminent.

Now maybe 3rd decade Rock albums can never compare to 1st or 2nd decade Rock albums, but NOBODY has ever put the question to the test. What U2 are doing nowadays could be considered more revolutionary than anything they've ever done because they're definately in uncharted territory. They're blazing trails for all future 3rd decade Rock bands in a way they never did for 1st or 2nd decade Rock bands. I'm certain many future 3rd decade Rock bands will look closely at what U2 has done on their last 2 albums and find inspiration in them. This assures them a legacy.

Last edited:
Aygo said:

In fact, many people can name Elevation, Walk On, and others at least recognize Stuck In A Moment when heard.
From Achtung Baby? Probaby those people can name One and Mysterious Ways, and the other singles are only recognizable. The same happens with JT: they will name Still Haven't Found, With Or Without You, and probably Streets, but not God's Country or Bullet The Blue Sky.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB have been considered 2 of U2's best albums, and the press have hailed them, they have been included in the list of best albums from this decade in several music books, lists or other. So, that concept about considering what a masterpiece is, that's very relative...

:up: not that the high school demographic means anything, but most kids at my school know Elevation and Beautiful Day at least, and some know Stuck and Walk On. On the other hand they don't know ANYTHING from Acthung except MAYBE (rarely) One :shrug: but I guess that's because they only listen to current music and most of them don't really listen to U2 at all.

Layton - :up: great post, I agree. U2 is sort of in a place of their own because very few bands are even still together in their third decade, and even fewer are making music that's popular and (arguably) as good as anything they've ever done.

Oooh, I like that site. It's a good idea.

U2 in the 2000's

Albums

All That You Can't Leave Behind:
#44 overall for the decade.
#8 for the year 2000.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb:
#23 for the year 2004.
Does not feature overall for the decade.

Singles

Beautiful Day:
#13 song for the year 2000.
#62 overall for the decade.

Vertigo:
#16 song of the year for 2004.
#84 overall for the decade.

U2 in the 1990's

Albums

Achtung, Baby:
#7 overall for the decade.
#4 for the year 1991.

Zooropa:
#30 for the year 1993.
Does not feature overall for the decade.

Pop:
Does not feature in 1997 nor the decade.

Singles

One:
#8 song overall for the decade.
#4 song for the year 1991.

The Fly:
#28 song for the year 1991.

Mysterious Ways:
#40 song for the year 1991.

Lemon:
#26 song for the year 1993.

U2 in the 1980's

Albums

Boy:
#140 overall for the decade.
#22 for the year 1980.

October:
Does not feature at all.

War:
#43 overall for the decade.
#4 for the year 1983.

The Unforgettable Fire:
#62 overall for the decade.
#8 for the year 1983.

The Joshua Tree:
#5 overall for the decade.
#2 for the year 1987 (beaten by Prince, Sign 'o' the Times)

Rattle & Hum:
#181 overall for the decade.
#20 for the year 1988.

Singles

I Will Follow:
#98 overall for the decade.
#11 for the year 1980.

Sunday Bloody Sunday:
#29 overall for the decade.
#5 for the year 1983.

New Years Day:
#54 overall for the decade.
#9 for the year 1983.

Pride:
#43 overall for the decade.
#6 for the year 1984.

With or Without You:
#48 overall for the decade.
#5 for the year 1987.

I Still Haven't Found:
#51 overall for the decade.
#7 for the year 1987.

Streets:
#124 overall for the decade.
#20 for the year 1987.

Bullet the Blue Sky:
#34 for the year 1987.

Desire:
#47 for the year 1988.

2500 Most Acclaimed Songs of All Time

#1 Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone.
#106 - One.
#211 - Sunday Bloody Sunday.
#295 - Pride.
#318 - With or Without You.
#362 - New Years Day.
#598 - I Will Follow.
#713 - Streets
#1441 - Bullet the Blue Sky
#1446 - Lemon
#1516 - Hello, Hello
#1563 - The Fly
#2037 - Mysterious Ways
#2165 - Desire

(I must be missing Beautiful Day, but can't find it anywhere???)

2500 Most Acclaimed Albums of All Time

#1 Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
#39 - Joshua Tree
#73 - Achtung, Baby
#263 - War
#384 - The Unforgettable Fire
#689 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
#771 - Boy
#969 - Rattle & Hum
#1417 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
#1496 - Zooropa
#2193 - October

(Pop loses yet again)

Most Acclaimed Artists of All Time

#1 - The Beatles
#18 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists (All Albums)

#1 - The Beatles
#20 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists (All Songs)

#1 - The Beatles
#23 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists of the 80's

#1 - Prince
#3 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists of the 90's
#1 - Nirvana
#16 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists of the 00's

#1 - OutKast
#21 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists from Ireland

#1 - U2!!!!!!!

Earnie Shavers said:
Oooh, I like that site. It's a good idea.

Most Acclaimed Artists of the 90's
#1 - Nirvana
#16 - U2

Most Acclaimed Artists of the 00's

#1 - OutKast
#21 - U2

So not that much difference there then.....

Earnie Shavers said:
Edge strikes me as someone who is probably permanently cooking on ideas and experimenting/fiddling, so I wouldn't think the countdown begins till we start getting reliable info of the 3 or 4 of them hammering stuff out in the studio, and it's kinda 1-2 years from that point to album. I wish when it came to the music and the albums that Edge had the sole and only vote. We'd have twice as many albums and twice the level of interesting music. Mind you they probably would have sold half as many. That's why Larry gets a vote as well.

"If it would be easy we'd be making one a month" - Edge in a post ATYCLB interview about making albums.

Interesting how quickly Adam got off the hook for not approving of Bomb in 2003...

That is only the information of one site. I have already seen other lists that were sightly different from this one. U2 will be just another band/artist that is still built up after 3 decades.

Edge in a recent interview about the Bomb:

"We made a very strong record. And i think maybe our strongest ever...in terms of the overall range of the album."

Agreed? If they really feel the bomb was so strong and good, I think we might see another album just like it.

I loved the bomb, but i'm looking for something new personally.

I hope the success of Bomb gives them the confidence push to start up a new era a bit faster.
I think Bomb part II would result in a mega backlash.

I'd like to see them drop it a notch. Something akin to the non-Pride songs on Unforgettable Fire. (And this coming from someone who swears Pop is their best album)

Back
Top Bottom