the drum solo in rejoice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Edge's solos get so much attention but I think that incredible minute of Rejoice where Larry just loses it deserves its own thread...thoughts?

agreed is that one drum track or is he playing over hi,self because it sounds like just so much is going on he realy is going crazy. Maybe the best u2 drumming moment ever. I wonder if he could still do it today

Rob33 said:
I hope they do this song on the next tour...

That would be TOO amazing!!

This is my fave song off October. I love the lyrics and the way Bono sings on it. Larry's drum solo tho is indeed superb. The highlight of the song! :rockon:

Undoubtedly Larry's best work is on October, and Rejoice is the pinnacle.

There is Absolutely. No. Fucking. Way. that Larry could handle Rejoice on the next tour. No way whatsoever. I doubt he could even handle I Threw a Brick or Like a Song.

But yes, the Rejoice solo is totally badass.

ya the drum part is good; never liked the song much.
his best work was on october/war, doesn't do much anymore.

CTU2fan said:
There is Absolutely. No. Fucking. Way. that Larry could handle Rejoice on the next tour. No way whatsoever. I doubt he could even handle I Threw a Brick or Like a Song.

But yes, the Rejoice solo is totally badass.

Hope he proves you wrong next tour!
As I'd :heart: to hear u2 perform Rejoice.

If not, at least I've been lucky enough to hear another band play this song live a couple of times.

That would be too amazing to hear them do it next tour. One of my favorite albums, great song and drums!

Miringeltje said:

Hope he proves you wrong next tour!
As I'd :heart: to hear u2 perform Rejoice.

If not, at least I've been lucky enough to hear another band play this song live a couple of times.

yeah I hope so too, I think Larry might show us a little something on the next album/tour....:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

Another early Larry classic!

I think Larry's best drumming would be the War and October albums. Before they were doing the experimentation with Eno.

the tourist said:

I think Larry's best drumming would be the War and October albums. Before they were doing the experimentation with Eno.

I would tend to agree. The music as a whole on both those albums have so much energy - everyone giving absolutely everything they've got.

the tourist said:

Even after Eno appeared on the scene, there was some good stuff in the second half of the eighties, notably God Part II. But he's gone to shit since then. You could tell he was on the verge of a decline by 1987 - I love Spanish Eyes, but holy crap, the drumming on that track is mindnumbingly boring.

I would say blame Edge for his post AB backseat, not that being anal about anyone in particular in this band is worth much.

U2girl said:
I would say blame Edge for his post AB backseat, not that being anal about anyone in particular in this band is worth much.

I don't see how Edge is causing Larry to be little more than a poorly programmed and repetitive robot without an ounce of creativity.

the tourist said:
Larry should listen to MuteMath for a month.

Change "MuteMath" to "Porcupine Tree" and I couldn't agree more. Gavin Harrison for the win when it comes to not only being crazily talented, but being very tasteful too. :up:

Porcupine Tree is really good.... But if you heard the song "Reset" by MuteMath, or "Stare At The Sun".... I guess maybe just because I saw them live and was close to the front, and never saw the drummers hands (as they were moving so fast as to be nothing but shadows and blurs)....

the tourist said:
Porcupine Tree is really good.... But if you heard the song "Reset" by MuteMath, or "Stare At The Sun".... I guess maybe just because I saw them live and was close to the front, and never saw the drummers hands (as they were moving so fast as to be nothing but shadows and blurs)....

Honestly, I've tried to get into MuteMath and I just can't. Partly it's because I don't like the singer's voice, though.

Axver said:

I don't see how Edge is causing Larry to be little more than a poorly programmed and repetitive robot without an ounce of creativity.

He said to Larry "what less can you do?" right around the time of AB, as per (I think) U2 by U2. That presumably extended to Zooropa and the heavy drum programming on Pop (I will admit his back problem didn't help either). I fail to see how he could provide anything to the pop/classic U2 sounds on the last two albums, and especially the conservative Edge playing.
It will be interesting to see what the native African playes will bring to his sound on the Morocco sessions, I know he was talking about the non-4/4 timing they use.

He'll never drum like the heavy metal bands you adore. I think a supreme drummer (guitar player, bass player) would not work for U2. :shrug:

yes of course he won't..and I hope he doesn't! Heavy metal drummers are just plain boring..I'd much rather listen to electric co. or acrobat than some stupid death metal band that devotes 10 minutes to their "look at me" drummer while we watch him do double bass drums for 10 minutes and hope we won't permanently be hearing boom boom boom boom in our heads for the rest of our lives, that stuff gives me a headache..I'd much rather listen to the eloquence of Larry, the cleanness, the unity, the timing, the sharpness, and the solidity!

The instrumental element to U2 excluding Bono is beautifully simplistic, yet, in other ways so complicated, which is why I appreciate it so much...lets not start comparing drummers here, Larry in my mind is in a league of his own (not higher or lower, just separate), because no drummer could take his place in U2 :yes:

Back
Top Bottom