The Dream Is Over Demo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
That opening riff on The Dream Is Over reminds me of something but I can't think of what. Does anyone know where I may have heard that riff before? Another U2 song? Another song from another band? Anything. It has bothered me for the past 20 years since I first heard it. Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the info, I didn't know this song existed, but I don't know much about the very early material in general.

That opening riff on The Dream Is Over reminds me of something but I can't think of what. Does anyone know where I may have heard that riff before? Another U2 song? Another song from another band? Anything. It has bothered me for the past 20 years since I first heard it. Thanks.

I don't know if this is the one you're thinking of, but there was an early version of the song called The King's New Clothes. It was only played once live, in 1979: U2 start.com | Bootlegs | 1979-10-05 - Cork, Ireland - Cork Opera House. The opening riff is exactly the same, as is most of the song.

Hope that helps. :wave:

That must be it! I think I had one crappy copy of The Kings New Clothes when I was like 14 or something and I probably listened to it once and then lost the tape or something and never made the connection to The Dream Is Over. Thank you so much for solving that for me. :applaud:

That must be it! I think I had one crappy copy of The Kings New Clothes when I was like 14 or something and I probably listened to it once and then lost the tape or something and never made the connection to The Dream Is Over. Thank you so much for solving that for me. :applaud:

No problem. :up:

You had a bootleg cassette recording of that show? Pretty sweet. :up:

Back in the day I had tons of cassettes and vinyls of shows. I used to shell out $15 for tapes and up to $40 for double LP's. I still have them. But nowadays one can download it all for free and with much better sound quality. If I could have waited 20 years I would have saved a lot of money! ha ha

Back
Top Bottom