The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a bit of a Disappearing Act vibe to it as a b side. Interesting and the 12 inch mix is good, but feels like it drags a bit at the end to force it past that 7 minute mark.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Can someone who has this please check the request thread? It appears only the first few people received it - all single or low number posters, and then they fucked off after they got what they came for. Would someone be kind enough to send it on to the others in that thread?

Will do a bunch this evening. I did a few this morning but had to run off. Thanks to all the posters!

Usually 12 inch song versions are just longer versions of the original.
Just add extra beats to it and let it roll for a few more minutes so people
can dance to it at the nightclub. The DJ recipe is usually the same for all such
mixes since the early 1980s.
What would be interesting to listen to this version would be to include in between
the beats more of the other U2 songs or melodies of other songs into it.
Add a familiar guitar riff, add that familiar bass intro, mix in that familiar singers
voice off another song and put it into the mix.
That way the song can go on for much longer and the listener will not be so tired
of listening to the same 12 inch song.
Usually 12 inch mixes last for at least 15 to 20 minutes, but this one fall short of
that.
I might just take some time out from my daily routine, start up that old
music studio and create such a new version for us to enjoy :up:

Last edited:
Surprised it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet, even if it get's taken down fairly quickly.

Surprised it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet, even if it get's taken down fairly quickly.

did earlier, got taken down faster tha I could upload a new one, even when added few secs of white noise to start and end to mess with md5 checks

did earlier, got taken down faster tha I could upload a new one, even when added few secs of white noise to start and end to mess with md5 checks

Shit.

Seems kind of strange considering it's leaked anyway.

Usually 12 inch song versions are just longer versions of the original.

Just add extra beats to it and let it roll for a few more minutes so people

can dance to it at the nightclub. The DJ recipe is usually the same for all such

mixes since the early 1980s.

What would be interesting to listen to this version would be to include in between

the beats more of the other U2 songs or melodies of other songs into it.

Add a familiar guitar riff, add that familiar bass intro, mix in that familiar singers

voice off another song and put it into the mix.

That way the song can go on for much longer and the listener will not be so tired

of listening to the same 12 inch song.

Usually 12 inch mixes last for at least 15 to 20 minutes, but this one fall short of

that.

I might just take some time out from my daily routine, start up that old

music studio and create such a new version for us to enjoy :up:

Ok what you are describing is a medley not a remix.

And the vast majority of remixes I've heard, played and own since 85 or so are nowhere near 15-20 min long. Try 8-11. But usually 8 or 9 min. At 7:30 Crystal Ballroom is right squarely in average remix length territory.

I don't feel this song drags at all. It takes the listener on a journey that never seems to loiter or lull.

Sent from my ass crack

I'm showing my age and lack of knowledge on technology, how the heck am i able to heat this song? And why does everyone keep putting email addresses in? Please spare the jokes Im an idiot prolly for not knowing this.

This song now angers me. Angers me because it was left as a B side instead of a proper album track, and a single.

LOL. I'm with you. I just shake my head as I listen to it. It's now in my top 4 on the album, and probably rising.

I do hope that U2 really are reading these forums. If they can just have one take away from us - LESS SFS, MORE CB!! Which may mean more danger mouse and less Tedder/epworth. And BELIEVE in that

I'm showing my age and lack of knowledge on technology, how the heck am i able to heat this song? And why does everyone keep putting email addresses in? Please spare the jokes Im an idiot prolly for not knowing this.

I just sent you a PM

See I feel the exact opposite. I have no problem with this song being a b-side. I'm just ecstatic that we got such a good song one month later.

Loving the track

Haven't read the thread....

..... reminds me of Arcade Fire....and I mean that in a good way.

Nice one boys.

Not comparing the son g specifically to this song, but the release of the Crystal Ballroom reminds me of 'Where the White Boys Dance' by the Killers. A son g that is stylistically quite groovy and different to the output of the day, superior in a lot of ways to a lot of the album tracks, yet consigned to the life of a bonus track/b-side as it just doesn't 'fit' what they are currently doing.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this song! Like another commenter, I really thought (based solely on the title, LOL) that "Lucifer's Hands" would be my fave of the bonus tracks, but after a few listens I really don't care much for that one. CB deserves to be on the album - it should have taken the place of "California". :drool:

Not comparing the son g specifically to this song, but the release of the Crystal Ballroom reminds me of 'Where the White Boys Dance' by the Killers. A son g that is stylistically quite groovy and different to the output of the day, superior in a lot of ways to a lot of the album tracks, yet consigned to the life of a bonus track/b-side as it just doesn't 'fit' what they are currently doing.

Bingo.

I like you Dan. Constantly talking sense. :up:

I love this song. It's a shame that it was left off the album, but I'm glad it was released anyway. My favorite so far! Brian Burton was the best thing to hapoen to this band. Love the ending of the song. This is the direction they should have went in after Pop.

Can we give the requests their own separate thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom