The "Compare a U2 album to another contemporary album" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RA-D

War Child
Now this'll probably sink without a trace, but based on DiscothequeLP's post on The Killers album (http://forum.interference.com/t146010.html), and the baiting that awaits it (or maybe not), how about a thread for anyone to do a similar song-by-song comparison between a couple of similarly-yeared albums. If DiscotequeLP would care to repost his comparison here that could be useful?

Only 1 rule: NO CRITICISING OTHERS' COMPARISONS - when someone disfavours any U2 album, there's always going to be someone else who disagrees, so no slating anyone elses choice?

Anyone care to set a ball rolling?

Last edited:
Sure.

U2's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' vs. Coldplay's 'X&Y'

1. Vertigo vs. Square One
Square One - I prefer opening songs to be a little more downbeat, and I like the overall musical style of Square One alot more.

2. Miracle Drug vs. What If
Miracle Drug - What If doesn't seem to go anywhere.

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs. White Shadows
White Shadows - by default. I don't like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own at all.

4. Love and Peace or Else vs. Fix You
Love and Peace or Else - I can't take Fix You seriously anymore. It's been played to death.

5. City Of Blinding Lights vs. Talk
Talk - This was difficult, but Talk. I loved Talk when the demo leaked, and while I don't think the album version is as good as the demo, it's still a stand out track for me.

6. All Because Of You vs. X&Y
All Because Of You - I've listened to Coldplay's album so many times, and couldn't tell you anything about how this song goes. It hasn't left an impression on my mind, so it's not too memorable for me.

7. A Man And A Woman vs. Speed Of Sound
Speed Of Sound - Again, I can't get on with A Man and A Woman, so this is default.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. A Message
A Message - I'm not really endeared by much music, but I was by this song. I don't know who he wrote it for - Gwyneth, Apple or someone else - but it's a cute song.

9. One Step Closer vs. Low
One Step Closer - it's just perfect. Love it.

10. Original Of The Species vs. The Hardest Part
Original Of The Species - it's funny that both of these songs have been referenced to sex now, but I can't listen to The Hardest Part without thinking about Chris Martin and sex, and that's not a nice thought for me. I love the strings on Original Of The Species, so it wins on those merits too.

11. Yahweh vs. Swallowed In The Sea
Swallowed In The Sea - This is so close, as both are my favourite tracks on the respective albums, but I prefer Yahweh live.

12. Fast Cars vs. Twisted Logic
Fast Cars - It was an unexpected surprise when I heard it for the first time, as I didn't see U2 making a track like it. It's just stronger overall.

So,
Coldplay - 6
U2 - 6

I initially thought U2 would have won by a few points, but there you go.

U2's HTDAAB vs Porcupine Tree's Deadwing.

As Deadwing is only nine tracks long, I've included the US bonus track and the two Lazarus b-sides (Half Light was on the Deadwing tracklist instead of Glass Arm Shattering until a very late stage, apparently).

1. Vertigo vs Deadwing
Deadwing: could this be any easier? The worst song on HTDAAB versus almost ten minutes of musical bliss. No contest.

2. Miracle Drug vs Shallow
Shallow: This one's close and I kind of want to give it to Miracle Drug, but all being equal, I think Shallow is superior.

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs Lazarus
Lazarus: Lazarus, Lazarus, Lazarus! One of my top five non-U2 songs of all time.

4. Love And Peace Or Else vs Halo
Halo: Really tough choice and I could've easily gone with LAPOE, but Halo really appeals to me on a thematic level for its satirical attacks.

5. City Of Blinding Lights vs Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
City Of Blinding Lights: This is a painful choice as Arriving Somewhere is a 12 minute epic, one of the best 'long' songs I've ever heard, but COBL is an amazing song, one of my top U2 numbers.

6. All Because Of You vs Mellotron Scratch
Mellotron Scratch: Not even a contest. The vocal harmonies in Mellotron Scratch kick the double tracked vocals of ABOY back to the middle of last week.

7. A Man And A Woman vs Open Car
Open Car: It's catchier.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs The Start Of Something Beautiful
Crumbs From Your Table: Crumbs' ringing guitar and lyrical themes make it the easy victor here.

9. One Step Closer vs Glass Arm Shattering
One Step Closer: Both are softer numbers, but One Step Closer is far more rich in both beauty and emotional depth.

10. Original Of The Species vs She's Moved On (Re-recorded)
She's Moved On: The re-recorded version of Lightbulb Sun's Shesmovedon walks all over the production disaster that is OOTS.

11. Yahweh vs So Called Friend (b-side)
So Called Friend: This is really close, but ultimately, I had to go with So Called Friend. I can see why it didn't make an album already containing Shallow and Halo but it's an awesome song.

12. Fast Cars (bonus track) vs Half Light (b-side)
Fast Cars: Half Light's beautiful, but Fast Cars is by far a more interesting and enjoyable song.

Overall:

Porcupine Tree: 8
U2: 4

Not a shock. I make no secret of the fact I think Deadwing is bloody brilliant.

Last edited:
Hot Fuss vs. Boy

1. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine vs. I Will Follow
I WILL FOLLOW wins by a landslide. I like Jenny, but it's not nearly as good.

2. Mr. Brightside vs. Twilight
MR. BRIGHTSIDE wins for me. I'm not a fan of Twilight :yuck:

3.Smile Like You Mean It vs. An Cat Dubh
AN CAT DUBH wins narrowly, only beacuse it's a post-punk epic with the next song. . .

4. Somebody Told Me vs. Into the Heart
INTO THE HEART wins easily. it's a fucking 8 min symphony.

5. All These Things That I've Done vs. Out of Control
OUT OF CONTROL wins, because it's one of the greatest U2 songs ever.

6. Andy, You're a Star vs. Stories for Boys
STORIES FOR BOYS wins barely. I love this Killers song, I really do, but SFB is something else.

7. On Top vs. The Ocean
umm. . . ON TOP is the best song on this album. it easliy sails over the Ocean.

8. Change Your Mind vs. A Day Without Me
close, but CHANGE YOUR MIND wins. it's fabulous!

9. Believe Me Natalie vs. Another Time, Another Place
i never really liked this u2 song. BELIEVE ME NATALIE takes it.

10. Midnight Show vs. Electric Co.
no contest. ELECTRIC CO. all the way!

11. Everything Will Be Alright vs. Shadows and Tall Trees
wow, the best matchup of this album. . . but SHADOWS AND TALL TREES escapes with the victory

wow, that one went 7 to 4, in favour of U2.

PS my HTDAAB thing is in the other thread

this is fun, I'll compare lastest U2 album (not my favorite) with one of my favorite albums of this year

HTDAAB vs. La Foret (Xiu Xiu)

1. Vertigo vs. Clover
Clover. It was hard, because both songs aren't exactly awesome

2. Miracle Drug vs. Muppet Face
Muppet Face. Hard again and now because I like both songs, but Muppet Face is what Xiu Xiu is.

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs. Mousey Toy
Sometimes... God! this is hard, both songs are one of my favorites respectively, but Sometimes because its power and meaning.

4. Love and Peace or Else vs. Pox
Pox. I'm not a big LAPOE fan and Pox has one of the best Xiu Xiu lyrics.

5. City Of Blinding Lights vs. Baby Captain
City of Blinding Lights. Baby Captain is my least favorite off La Foret.

6. All Because Of You vs. Saturn
All Because of You. It's almost the same case as above.

7. A Man And A Woman vs. Rose of Sharon (Grey Ghost Version)
A Man and a Woman. This is weird, because these songs are so damn different... I think I picked A Man and A Woman because it has a great bass line.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. Ale
Ale. Ale is a beautiful song and Crumbs... is just average.

9. One Step Closer vs. Bog People
Bog People. This is the easiest one, Bog People is my favorite song off La Foret and OSC is my least favorite off HTAAB.

10. Original Of The Species vs. Dangerous You Shouldn't Be Here
Dangerous You Shouldn't Be Here. Another great song that shows a Xiu Xiu sad and expetimental.

11. Yahweh vs. Yellow Raspberry
Yellow Raspberry. Just a great closer, I like Yaweh too but love drums in Yellow Raspberry.

U2: 4
Xiu Xiu: 7

this is kinda unfair to U2, because HTDAAB isn't a good example of their music and Xiu Xiu kicks ass

I don't necessarily like comparing albums this way cos the position of the tracks on an album shouldn't really have anything to do with it.

But I'm still gonna do it just for fun! Here's an analysis of 2 excellent albums released in 1997.

U2'S POP Vs. RADIOHEAD'S OK COMPUTER

This is gonna be very hard... I just know it! :crazy:

1. Discotheque vs. Airbag
Airbag As much as I love Discotheque, Airbag is mind-blowing!

2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Paranoid Android
Do You Feel Loved DYFL is too amazing to be left behind, even comparing with Paranoid Android's high standards!

3. Mofo vs. Subterranean Homesick Alien
Subterranean Homesick Alien This is getting harder and harder! :banghead: I love Mofo to death but SHA is other-worldly and phenomenal!

4. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Exit Music
Exit Music Just for that build-up all the way to the 'we hope that you choke' line! :drool: Again, IGWSHA is great but the production could be better.

5. Staring At The Sun vs. Let Down
Let Down This one's a bit easier cos Let Down is one of the greatest songs of the 90s whereas SATS is just a really good U2 song.. IMO.

6. Last Night On Earth vs. Karma Police
Karma Police LNOE is good but among the less preferred songs on Pop for me.

7. Gone vs. Fitter Happier
Gone Definitely Gone!!! :rockon: one of the best songs of the 90s! Although FH is cool and very innovative.

8. Miami vs. Electioneering
Miami I would any day take the kick-ass offbeat drums and bass to a good but very REM-esque Radiohead song.

9. The Playboy Mansion vs. Climbing Up The Walls
Climbing Up The Walls... I think, cos it is just amazing! esp. the ending! I love Playboy but the first verse is a bit bad.

10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. No Surprises
Velvet Dress Just so sexy silky smooth... so un-U2 = U2 at their best!

11. Please vs. Lucky
Please... of course!!! :bow: but Lucky is cool as well.

12. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Tourist
This is sooo hard... :mad: I honestly cannot make up my mind on this... :sigh:
Wake Up Dead Man I guess, by a tad... despite the sheer brilliance of The Tourist!

U2's Pop: 6
Radiohead's OKC: 6

:crazy:

From the year (2000) ATYCLB vs Perfect Circle's Mer De Noms

10 points available per matchup (wanted to make it a little more interesting)

Beautiful Day 6-The Hollow 4
Magdalena 10-Stuck 0
Rose 6-Elevation 4
Judith 6-Walk On 4
Kite 6-Orestes 4
3 Libras 7-IALW 3
Wild Honey 5-Sleepign Beauty 5
Thomas 6-POE 4
WILATW 7-Renholder 3
Thinking of You 7-New York 3
Brena 8-Grace 2
TGBHF 9-Over 1

Mer De Noms:67
ATYCLB:53

Poor Stuck In a Moment got the best song (IMO) and I just happen to dislike Stuck quite a bit. Judith over Walk On was close and Kite over Orestes was pretty close even though I love Kite quite a bit.

I wanted to match up an album that I really liked, maybe not a masterpiece but a damn good album with an album that was very dissapointing for me. It turned out about how I expected, not a blow-out but a decisive victory.

Last edited:
atyclb-covermini.jpg
VS
Dhalbc1.jpg

1. Beautiful Day vs Fallin' In Love

Beautiful Day is a good song, but Fallin' In Love is such a perfect album opener that makes you feel good, I gotta go with it.

2. Stuck in a Moment vs Do You Believe in Love

Stuck was supposed to become one of U2's best songs but falls short, Do You Believe in Love is the perfect way to follow up Fallin' In Love, so I gotta go with this one.

3. Elevation vs Until the Last Teardrop Falls

Sure Elevation is fun, but Until the Last Deardrop Falls just tugs at your heart and makes you cry, gotta go with the emotion on this one.

4. Walk On vs Days of Our Love

Yes Days of Our Love is the 3rd song out of 4 to have Love in the title, but I love songs about love, so I'm picking it.

5. Kite vs Try a Little Tenderness

I wish everybody would follow the advice of the song Try a Little Tenderness.

6. In a Little While vs Save the World

The song Save the World is so good that the song itself may just save the world.

7. Wild Honey vs Dark Side of My Heart

In Dark Side of my heart we see the dark side of Mr. Hasselhoff, and it is quite intriguing.

8. Peace on Earth vs If I Could Only Say Goodbye

Both of these songs are pretty cheesy, but If I Could Only Say Goodbye is just a little less cheesy.

9. When I Look at the World vs Miracle of Love

This one is a tough call, they are equally great songs, so I'm calling it a tie.

10. New York vs Give Me Something Real

I think we all want something real

11. Grace vs The Best is Yet to Come

This one isn't even close.

12. Ground Beneath vs These Lovin' Eyes

Finally another love song by Mr. Hasselhoff, what a perfect way to end an album!

So the final tally is:

ATYCLB - .5
David Hasselhoff's self titled album 11.5

Alright well beau2 did it already, but we all knew I was going to do it too.

U2's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' vs. Coldplay's 'X&Y'

1. Vertigo vs. Square One
Square One - Square One is my favorite song on X&Y, pretty easy choice here.

2. Miracle Drug vs. What If
Miracle Drug - I love Miracle Drug and What If just has never really done it for me.

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own vs. White Shadows
White Shadows - White Shadows is fucking great and I much prefer it to Sometimes.

4. Love and Peace or Else vs. Fix You
Love and Peace or Else - LAPOE. Everything about it is perfect. Favorite Bomb track, and probably somewhere in my U2 top 15.

5. City Of Blinding Lights vs. Talk
Talk - Talk, for sure. I prefer the demo version too, but the end of the album version is bad ass and the song is a monster live. COBL has always seemed formulaic and boring to me, never one of my favorites.

6. All Because Of You vs. X&Y
All Because Of You - Ah, the battle of the tracks I don't care for at all. I'll go with ABOY just for the scream, the solo, and the "I'm alive" verse. Just that section of the song can win this fight against one of X&Y's two worst songs.

7. A Man And A Woman vs. Speed Of Sound
Speed Of Sound - I like it. I don't care how much the piano part sounds like Clocks. I like the song and it always reminds me of how excited I was leading up to X&Y's release.

8. Crumbs From Your Table vs. A Message
A Message - This is my toughest choice yet. I lean towards A Message, though, because I love the simplicity of it and the breaking Jonny guitar in the chorus and the final verse is positively orgasmic.

9. One Step Closer vs. Low
Low - Low is one of my favorite Coldplay songs ever. If they released it as the first single from this album, they'd be taking a lot less shit right now. Fucking great stuff.

10. Original Of The Species vs. The Hardest Part
Original Of The Species - The Hardest Part fucking sucks.

11. Yahweh vs. Swallowed In The Sea
Swallowed In The Sea - Easy. SITS's lyrics are absolute trash, but I love the melody and music, so I'll settle.

12. Fast Cars vs. Twisted Logic
Fast Cars - Not a hard choice at all. I like Twisted Logic a lot, it's new ground for Coldplay and I like the direction, but Fast Cars is simply too bad ass to not choose.

If anything other than Please or Ultra Violet was up against Til Kingdom Come, it would lose. Just throwing that out there.

Coldplay - 7
U2 - 5

Not much different from beau2's at all... I guess great minds think alike

But she needs to learn to love LOW

Chizip said:
atyclb-covermini.jpg
VS
Dhalbc1.jpg

1. Beautiful Day vs Fallin' In Love

Beautiful Day is a good song, but Fallin' In Love is such a perfect album opener that makes you feel good, I gotta go with it.

2. Stuck in a Moment vs Do You Believe in Love

Stuck was supposed to become one of U2's best songs but falls short, Do You Believe in Love is the perfect way to follow up Fallin' In Love, so I gotta go with this one.

3. Elevation vs Until the Last Teardrop Falls

Sure Elevation is fun, but Until the Last Deardrop Falls just tugs at your heart and makes you cry, gotta go with the emotion on this one.

4. Walk On vs Days of Our Love

Yes Days of Our Love is the 3rd song out of 4 to have Love in the title, but I love songs about love, so I'm picking it.

5. Kite vs Try a Little Tenderness

I wish everybody would follow the advice of the song Try a Little Tenderness.

6. In a Little While vs Save the World

The song Save the World is so good that the song itself may just save the world.

7. Wild Honey vs Dark Side of My Heart

In Dark Side of my heart we see the dark side of Mr. Hasselhoff, and it is quite intriguing.

8. Peace on Earth vs If I Could Only Say Goodbye

Both of these songs are pretty cheesy, but If I Could Only Say Goodbye is just a little less cheesy.

9. When I Look at the World vs Miracle of Love

This one is a tough call, they are equally great songs, so I'm calling it a tie.

10. New York vs Give Me Something Real

I think we all want something real

11. Grace vs The Best is Yet to Come

This one isn't even close.

12. Ground Beneath vs These Lovin' Eyes

Finally another love song by Mr. Hasselhoff, what a perfect way to end an album!

So the final tally is:

ATYCLB - .5
David Hasselhoff's self titled album 11.5

Brilliant! :lmao:

And here it is by debuts. I'm going to get a lot of shit for this.

u2-boy.jpg
vs.
1043883_cp_200.jpg

1. I Will Follow vs. Don't Panic
Don't Panic - Before you hang me out to dry for this, hear me out. They're both excellent first songs on first albums, for sure. But the rainy feeling of Don't Panic is much more emotive than IWF. Don't Panic's only flaw is that it is too short, so it wins my vote here.

2. Twilight vs. Shiver
Shiver - Twilight is just a lackluster song. Shiver isn't Coldplay's greatest moment, but it's far from the worst. And it's hard not to love that little guitar part in the verse.

3. An Cat Dubh vs. Spies
An Cat Dubh - An Cat Dubh is spectacular. Dark, deep, and powerful enough to knock off Spies. A nice bit of nasty early on in Boy.

4. Into The Heart vs. Sparks
Sparks - It's hard to listen to ITH as something other than an extension of An Cat Dubh, but the simple and beautiful Sparks kicks it to the curb regardless.

5. Out Of Control vs. Yellow
Out Of Control - The breakout singles. This is a tough decision, but I have to go with OOC. It embodies the U2 spirit moreso than Yellow does of Coldplay, which is a major reason it wins this matchup.

6. Stories For Boys vs. Trouble
Trouble - Easy. The meloncholic masterpiece takes down this one. Imagine how happy I was when it made its Twisted Logic Tour debut while I was on the rail right in front of Chris.

7. The Ocean vs. Parachutes
Parachutes - Both short little interludes, making it a good place to match them up. I'll take Parachutes, though, because I think it is an intergral part of the record, whereas The Ocean is not.

8. A Day Without Me vs. High Speed
A Day Without Me - High Speed is Coldplay's worst song. ADWM wins by default.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs. We Never Change
Another Time, Another Place - I love the guitar and this one, and We Never Change just isn't a strong track at all.

10. The Electric Co. vs. Everything's Not Lost
Electric Co - This isn't really a contest at all, and that's coming from someone who loves Everything's Not Lost very much.

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs. Life Is For Living
Life Is For Living - Beautiful and poignant way to end an album, plus it is gorgeous live. Shadows And Tall Trees just seems too misguided. Life is For Living, on the other hand, is minimalist glory.

Parachutes - 6
Boy - 5

Another pretty close matchup.

U2's Achtung Baby vs Oasis's What's the story morning glory

Two of the best rock records of the ninties. Stand out albums for both bands. So let's see how they fair,

1. Zoo Station vs Hello
Zoo Station This one's pretty easy. Nothing beats Zoo station as an opener.

2. EBTTRT vs Roll with it
EBTTRT This one's a bit closer. Both great in their own right but EBTTRT just get's in.

3. One vs Wonderwall
One If wonderwall was against any other song on achtung it'd definately win but one.... well it's just hard to beat one!

4. UTEOTW vs Don't look back in anger
Don't look back in anger Again very close. Studio wise though Don't look back in anger has the edge.

5. WGRYWH vs Hey now
WGRYWH Pretty easy! Not a fan of hey now

6. So cruel vs untitled
So cruel Not sure if it's fair to be ranking the untitled instrumental songs. They're not very long. Still they're on there so so cruel wins.

7. The fly vs Some might say
The fly Close. The fly gets it though

8. Mysterious ways vs Cast no shadow
Cast no shadow Can't emphasise how close this was. Truly love both songs.

9. TTTYAATW vs She's electric
She's electric Easy one! One's a classic, the other's a throw away

10. Ultra violet (light my way) vs Morning Glory
Morning Glory Not a fan of ultra violet at all. Just a go no where song imo. Morning glory however :drool:

11. Acrobat vs untitled
Acrobat

12. Love is blindness vs Champagne Supernova
Champagne Supernova Champagne supernova's my fave of WTSMG, love is blindness never really did anything for me.

Achtung Baby- 7
What's the story morning glory- 5

Close! But Achtung scrapes in as the better

Blood On The Tracks Versus The Joshua Tree.
==============================================

1. Tangled Up In Blue 1. Where The Streets Have No Name

Well as much as I love Tangled Up In Blue, Streets is an epic. To be honest though they're incomparable. But Streets owns my soul.

2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For 2. Simple Twist Of Fate

Dylan would have been happy to call the final verse of "ISHWILF" his own.

3. With Or Without You 3. You're A Big Girl Now

WOWY all the way.

4. Bullet The Blue Sky 4. Idiot Wind

Again too different to compare. But Bob needs more points.

5. Running To Stand Still 5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

Running To Stand Still takes the cake.

6. Red Hill Mining Town 6. Meet Me In The Morning

Red Hill has The Edge, Dylan has the truth. Another tie.

7. In God's Country 7. Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts

Dylan wins by a landslide here, IGC is twee compared to LRATJOH

8. Trip Through Your Wires 8. If You See Her, Say Hello

Trip gets mauled. :wink:

9. One Tree Hill 9. Shelter From The Storm

The greatest match up there has ever been. with "Shelter" and "One Tree" going blow to blow with equal lyrical prowess.

However "Shelter" takes it, it has my favorite opening verse ever.

10. Exit 10. Buckets Of Rain

I can't do this. :sad:

Dylan.

11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

All on its own.
==============================================

Ok, so to summerise;

The Joshua Tree: 7
Blood On The Tracks: 7

To be honest that was hell.:|

I usually don't like doing this, but heck. Seems a good way to pass time.

'How To Dismantle...' vs 'Lifeblood' (Manic Street Preachers)

1. 'Vertigo' vs. '1985'
2. 'Miracle Drug' vs. 'The Love Of Richard Nixon'
3. 'Sometimes...' vs. 'Empty Souls'
4. 'Love & Peace Or Else' vs. 'A Song For Departure'
5. 'City Of Blinding Lights' vs. 'I Live To Fall Asleep'
6. 'All Because Of You' vs. 'To Repel Ghosts'
7. 'A Man & A Woman' vs. 'Emily'
8. 'Crumbs From Your Table' vs. 'Glasnost'
9. 'One Step Closer' vs. 'Always/Never'
10. 'Original Of The Species' vs. 'Fragments'
11. 'Yahweh' vs. 'Solitude Sometimes Is'
12. 'Fast Cars' vs. 'Cardiff Afterlife'

Simple Minds - Best of The 80s - U2 (Glittering Prize & Bo80-90)

1. Waterfront vs Pride
Waterfront takes this one just, Pride is an excellent song an was the song that got me into U2, but has suffered, through no fault of its own, from over-exposure

2. Don't You vs New Year's Day
Here Don't You suffers from the same issues I have with Pride, NYD however will make every U2 compilation I will ever make.

3. Alive & Kicking vs With Or Without You
I was going to pick Alive and Kicking for a second, but then I realised I was kidding no-one.

4. Sanctify Yourself vs I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I never really 'got' ISHFWILF, it's great fun live but I prefer the former of the two, it's everything that was great with music in the 80s, not that that is a great compliment, I tend to dislike most 80s music.

5. Love Song vs Sunday Bloody Sunday
Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of my favourite overtly-political songs ever, takes this by a country mile.

6. Someone, Somewhere In The Summertime vs Bad
No contest, the former is a perfectly good song but the U2 offering is far superior to pretty much every song ever written.

7. See The Lights vs Where The Streets Have No Name
Two of my all-time top 10 possibly, the problem for Streets is that See The Lights is top of those ten. Plus Streets is the radio edit.

8. Belfast Child vs I Will Follow
Two very different songs, both very good at what they do but its harder to write a good slow-tempo song than a good up-tempo song, in my book.

9. The American vs The Unforgettable Fire
Another annoyingly close one, I love The American but The Unforgettable Fire captures everything I love about 80s U2 nicely.

10. All The Things She Said vs The Sweetest Thing
I don't like Sweetest Thing, so this was an easy choice, but ATTSS has a poppy charm that is great. It also is the best example of singer Jim Kerr's excellent (and Bono-esque) voice.

11. Promised You A Miracle vs Desire
I don't like Promised You A Miracle, but Desire's real saving Grace is the acoustic versions from the Elevation tour.

12. Ghostdancing vs When Love Comes To Town
Not the greatest fan of duets, and I didn't really like just-U2 versions of WLCTT, but I do like Ghostdancing in an Angel Of Harlem sort of way.

13. Speed Your Love vs Angel Of Harlem
I adore both of these, but Angel Of Harlem narrowly achieves superiority in every aspect.

14. Glittering Prize vs All I Want Is You
I was tempted to leave this Simple Minds one out but, in the interests of fairness, All I Want Is You decimates it.

15. Let There Be Love vs October
October's haunting beauty is very different to Let There Be Love, btu shades this one despite this showcasing Jim Kerr's voice again.

No 16 for U2, although Mandela Day from Glittering Prize is a fantastic song. It would be beaten by any of a number of U2's 80s gems but is also better than others of theirs.

Score =
Simple Minds - 7
U2 - 9

Zootlesque said:

Airbag As much as I love Discotheque, Airbag is mind-blowing!

Do You Feel Loved DYFL is too amazing to be left behind, even comparing with Paranoid Android's high standards!

3. Mofo vs. Subterranean Homesick Alien
Subterranean Homesick Alien This is getting harder and harder! :banghead: I love Mofo to death but SHA is other-worldly and phenomenal!

4. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Exit Music
Exit Music Just for that build-up all the way to the 'we hope that you choke' line! :drool: Again, IGWSHA is great but the production could be better.

5. Staring At The Sun vs. Let Down
Let Down This one's a bit easier cos Let Down is one of the greatest songs of the 90s whereas SATS is just a really good U2 song.. IMO.

6. Last Night On Earth vs. Karma Police
Karma Police LNOE is good but among the less preferred songs on Pop for me.

Gone Definitely Gone!!! :rockon: one of the best songs of the 90s! Although FH is cool and very innovative.

Miami I would any day take the kick-ass offbeat drums and bass to a good but very REM-esque Radiohead song.

9. The Playboy Mansion vs. Climbing Up The Walls
Climbing Up The Walls... I think, cos it is just amazing! esp. the ending! I love Playboy but the first verse is a bit bad.

Velvet Dress Just so sexy silky smooth... so un-U2 = U2 at their best!

11. Please vs. Lucky
Please... of course!!! :bow: but Lucky is cool as well.

This is sooo hard... :mad: I honestly cannot make up my mind on this... :sigh:
Wake Up Dead Man I guess, by a tad... despite the sheer brilliance of The Tourist!

U2's Pop: 6
Radiohead's OKC: 6

Baby, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here :wink:

Boom cha!

Paranoid Android impressed the hell outta me when I first heard it but I really don't like it as much as I used to (though it's a damn good song)...Do You Feel Loved, on the other hand, is the most played song on my iPod. I never tire of it. So there's your answer.

3. Subterranean Homesick Alien vs. Mofo
SHA is boring. MOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOO!!! :rockon:

4. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Exit Music (For A Film)
Finally something that requires thought. It's damn close but I'm gonna have to give this one to Radiohead.

5. Staring at the Sun vs. Let Down
I adore SATS but it's really one of the weakest songs on the album, while Let Down is one of the strongest songs on OK, so I'll go with Let Down.

6. Last Night on Earth vs. Karma Police
Karma Police is perfect.

Fitter Happier!! it's a real rocker and it has a great melody!! :rockon:
Yeah, so, Gone.

Miami is so underrated. Bah bah fucking bah.

9. The Playboy Mansion vs. Climbing Up the Walls
Considering Climbing is possibly my favourite Radiohead song ever...

Velvet Dress. Next!

11. Please vs. Lucky
I looooove Lucky, but...Please.

The Tourist is boring. Climbing Up The Walls would have been a much better album closer. Wake Up Dead Man is U2's best closer besides LIB.

So
U2's Pop: 8
Radiohead's OK Computer: 4

Not bad considering it's going against my favourite album of all time :wink:

Back
Top Bottom