The colour of music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Alright, this is weird, but I often have colours associated with songs/albums, especially by U2. I think a lot of it might end up relating to the liner notes of the albums, but who knows.

Streets pretty much has to be red doesn't it?
Running to Stand Still - a cold blue hue
Bad - pale green
Bullet the Blue Sky - red, orange, and black

Anyone else have some colours for songs?

WOWY = blue...
HMTMKMKM = Blackish and Flame colored
Hmm, have to think about the others...
------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 10-24-2001).]

i get the feeling this is not the first time i've read a post along these lines....but i'll have a go...

streets-red
bullet-navy blue
wowy-purple
oth-sky blue
hmtmkmkm-yellow
love is blindness-black
please-orange
mw-the whole freakin rainbow
bad-brown

Originally posted by SkeeK:

Streets pretty much has to be red doesn't it?
Running to Stand Still - a cold blue hue
Bad - pale green
Bullet the Blue Sky - red, orange, and black

Anyone else have some colours for songs?

couldn't at least streets and bullet be attributed to the live experience of those songs and not so much something inferred by the song?

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by kobayashi:
couldn't at least streets and bullet be attributed to the live experience of those songs and not so much something inferred by the song?

Ummm. whatever are you talking about? lol. yeah definately for streets. possibly a little for bullet too. actually i should add brown to the list of bullet the blue sky colours

Elevation- Neon green
WTSHNN- gold/yellow
SIAMYCGOO- purple
Bullet- grayscale
IWF- White, light yellow
One Tree Hill- Greens, natural colors
The Fly- Reds, yellows, black

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Ummm. whatever are you talking about? lol. yeah definately for streets. possibly a little for bullet too. actually i should add brown to the list of bullet the blue sky colours

red for streets as you said and the popmart video for bullet was very full of trails of fire left by rockets flying, ie lots of orange and red. of course bullet has been played a lot more than just popmart tour. i guess what i meant to say was i agreed with your colors, but in my experience i associate those colors to the song because of the concert experience.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Whenever I listen to Boy and October, I can only see white and hazy gray.

I think album covers and booklets have a lot to do with how we visualize colors for songs and albums

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

My all time fave, Bad, I see it in bluer kind of grey, much like on a summer rainy day, don?t ask me why.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Have you heard of Wassily Kandinsky, the Abstract Expressionist artist? He believed that all colours carried sounds with them and that a painting gave off sound vibrations. Or some spiritual thing like that.

foray

Originally posted by foray:
Have you heard of Wassily Kandinsky, the Abstract Expressionist artist? He believed that all colours carried sounds with them and that a painting gave off sound vibrations. Or some spiritual thing like that.

foray

Name sounds familiar.. and I'm sure we'll be getting to study him soon in art class.. we looked at some of those german expressionists today, pretty cool.

I started a post about this once quite a long time ago.
smile.gif

It definitely happens to me...and I agree about the album art affecting the experience. The fact is that with U2's 80's albums, even though they're still my favourite, I see them mostly in black and white or in the case of UF, different shades of red. War is pretty blue because I first had it as a tape and it was one of those tapes where half the cover is the actual cover and half of it is blue! The differences are more in texture, and there are huge differences. I see a specific "picture" in my head for every U2 song--even the ones I hate, and there are a few--and it seems strange to me that every person must have a different picture like that.

Despite the live version I don't even see Streets in red--it's more like an amazing black and white movie with some gold--like the album art.

Some U2 songs I see in really interesting colors are:

-Stuck--baby blue
-Sweetest Thing--also baby blue. Stuck and ST are relatives in my mind. I think the Edge's guitar sound is baby blue.
-Walk On--rich beautiful green
-New York--dark brown
-Elevation--brown, but more beige than New York, a much lighter color
-WILATW--white background with a sort of pink and pale green texture over top. Very pretty. And very unusual.
-Unforgettable Fire--this one looks basically like the video, which I love, and I think it's because the first time I ever heard the song was when I saw the video.
-Rejoice--red, sort of maroony
-In God's Country is probably the only JT song that has some pink in it.
-One Tree Hill probably has more yellow than the other JT songs.
-Mothers of the Disappeared is pretty much black with specks of light.
-One, So Cruel, IGWSHA, Stay are all very pink.
-Gone--pale green
-Please--greyish blue
-Mysterious Ways--royal blue background with swathes of red and maybe yellow over top

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 10-24-2001).]

Streets - shinny white
Bullet - very dark blue with yellow spotslight on it
WOWY - Black
HMTMKMKM - Black and yellow
One tree hill - Light green
The fly - red
Stuck - The colour of dawn
Walk On - light blue
Mysterious Ways & Ultraviolet - Rainbow

and I agree with manda on discotheque and mofo.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom