The Christmas rush - the end of ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, I hate to say it, but after this week, it looks like a (hopefully very) slow slide down the charts for ATYCLB. This is of course my own opinion and I would love to hear opinions and arguements to the contrary.

The Christmas rush is always big. It usually starts this coming week and goes until mid December. I have looked up the upcoming releases for the next 5 weeks and it looks really interesting! I will only list the big names but they are only about half of the debuts coming. Take a look:

Busta Rhymes
Ozzy
John Mell.
Lit

DMX
Dave Matthews
Incubus
NOW! Christmas addition
Bush
Cranberries

**TAKE A LOOK AT THIS WEEK!! OCTOBER 30TH! THERE COULD BE A WHOLE NEW TOP 5 WITH THESE DEBUTS!!**
Michael Jackson
Backstreet Boys
Destiny's Child
Lenny Kravitz
Enrique
Barbra Streisand XMas
Jermaine Dupri

Britney
Faith Evans
Ludacris
Mark Anthony
Pink Floyd

Bare Naked Ladies
Busta Rhymes
Garth Brooks
Jewel
Madonna
Natalie Merchant
Jill Scott
Greenday
Paul McCartney
Radiohead
Rob Zombie

Notice the last week listed is mid November and it is getting bigger each week!

Anyway, I don't think there is any way that U2 can withstand this kind of rush. Unless something really big happens, like a hit single, some awards show, TV performance, etc...

anyone have any opinion on this?

I have to say if U2 releases "In a Little While" you see large gains in sales. I think they will release aroung Christmas time but it will keep sailing for "a little while."

Originally posted by gherman:
I have to say if U2 releases "In a Little While" you see large gains in sales.

I don't think so.

I love IALW, but I don't think the general public will be so open to it. What's more, it sounds like a great summer song, and just doesn't really come off well now. Even if they do release it, I don't think it will improve sales.

As for all the other albums, I think they'll duke it out amongst themselves and as a result split the consumers. At their own expense, but at the expense of ATYCLB as well.

I'm not worried.

The album has already been out almost a year (and will be over a year by the time the holiday season starts). The fact that it's floating in the Top 60 after all this time is sensational. Releases by hot artists like Ricky Martin, Madonna, Jay-Z, Outkast and the Backstreet Boys, which came out around the same time as U2's album, have dropped out of the Top 200. Therefore, U2 is doing great.

Even though all of these new releases will push U2's album down, keep in mind it is still the holiday season. This means that sales will be up across the board. For example, last year, U2's album was ranked #23 and it still sold over 100,000 copies. Another week, U2's album was #18, yet it sold an astounding 259,000 copies. That same week, the top 33 albums all sold over 100,000 copies. Typically, the #10 album sells around 75-90,000 copies, the #20 album around 50-60,000 copies and the #50 album around 20-25,000 copies. Therefore, you can clearly see the effect of holiday sales. ATYCLB may drop to #80 or lower, but it might actually double in sales (as compared to now).

It's just a matter of weeks before ATYCLB hits 3x Platinum in sales (and then certification). That's all I really wanted this album to do. Perhaps some day, the album will reach 4x Platinum, which is about what I feel it deserves.

I also think the album has "legs." They really need to release "In A Little While" as a single. Also, U2 will probably garner a lot of Grammy nominations as well. Remember, last years grammy nominations were just for "Beautiful Day." The album was not eligible.

Back
Top Bottom