The Chicago DVD doesn't suck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theu2fly said:
The audience is flat yes, and the band is under rehearsed on a few songs but honestly let's point out the best parts;

Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

These are normally songs performed in a stadium, but this is the only chance, since the indoor arena shows of '92, that we'll be able to see Zoo, Fly, Ways and Still performed inside of an arena. And the only official DVD, to feature '40' performed fully.

Yes the audience is flat, but it makes for a good momento if you had seen the band on tour. But Milan will solve the flat audience complaint, and Milan will feature a better setlist as well. For now, the DVD holds over well until Milan comes out.

Hamish had big ideas for filming, inside of a small venue. Hopefully Milan feels like Slane, intimate, but professional still.

I love the Chicago dvd as well. I was in the audience for the May 9th show so maybe I'm partial. However, at the actual concert the audience wasn't 'flat' at all and sang loudly to most of the songs. They really dubbed the audience out on the dvd, so it wasn't due to lack of energy in the crowd (at least not in my section anyway lol) but the director's decision I believe.

If you note that on other dvd's there are audience shots etc. like with Slane, however there aren't any of those moments on the Chicago dvd, so that aspect is missing, yes. But then again not all dvd's should be the same, so maybe it's a good thing. Different tour. Different venue. Different feel. Different dvd. :)
But flat audience? Nooo. Not in the audience I was in that night. :wink:

Last edited:
It's a mixed concert, here it is song for song IMO:

Good

Vertigo
Elevation
Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Miracle Drug
Running to Stand Still

Average

City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Yahweh

Bad

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Zoo Station

Zoo Station was great, but the audience was like "What the hell is this?" same with the FLY...

I think Bono's lyrical mess ups with Zoo and Fly are kinda annoying, but atleast they're there.

I forgot to say, Cat Dubh / Into The Heart -- we're NEVER gonna see that performed on DVD ever again. Definitely a good moment.

I think it'd be cool to see the Milan setlist like this...

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Party Girl

theu2fly said:
I think it'd be cool to see the Milan setlist like this...

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Party Girl

what???

The Ocean, Mysterious Ways, and Party Girl weren't even performed in Milan.

and where's Sometimes and Miracle Drug?

:huh:

We'll get:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. All I Want is You
9. City of Blinding Lights
10. Miracle Drug
11. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
12. Love and Peace or Else
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Pride (In The Name of Love)
17. Where the Streets Have No Name
18. One

encore(s):
19. Zoo Station
20. The Fly
21. With or Without You
22. Original of the Species
23. All Because of You
24. Yahweh
25. Vertigo

and it'll be great, since it's in a stadium.

Last edited:
Eh, well I wish they played Bad, but I also wish I had a magical unicorn to take me to Candy Mountain. :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't get the "Crowd is boring" argument. You get a concert DVD for the music and show, not to watch a crowd :huh:

Sure, the music and the show is imortant, but the crowd make sense at a concert. Just watch the crowd at Milan, Argentina,Brazil..... They create more atmoshphere. :)

For sure , it's definitely different show . Take at Milan for example , Italians were like singing solos , pretty cool they doin the sounds of Edge's COBL intro solo . Go for Brazil like , look at how nuts they get with Pride , Streets , and not only with the classics , but look how awesome the audience is in M Ways , or even All Because of you or OOTS , when people were singin it as if it was classic . Different from Chicago where in ABOY he tries to make audience participate more and more and nothing ........ Same with OOTS , they are delivering a terrific performance and the audience doesnt seem to care a lot

I'm so tired of people ripping on the Chicago crowds that were at the Vertigo DVD tapings. I take great pride in growing up near Chicago and I can't stand to see people on this forum around the world giving Chicago such a bad reputation. You want to see how good Chicago crowds are? Watch some Chicago Bulls Championship videos, or White Sox tapes from last year. I can tell you that there were times at the Vertigo shows that rivalled those moments. I was there and we got the shaft from Hamish and the horrible directing- how many times do you really see the fans except as a glob of color that's out of focus or 'artistically' blended in with the reflection off another fans lighter?

There was too much camera movement and shot changes that were either out of focus, too quick or too close up the whole time to get a feeling the show really happened in front of 23,000 fans. There were absolutely no pans over the crowd during the show where people would be jumping and excited to be there, and the lighting was shit poor to see any fans, except for in the first 10 rows of the ellispse. Don't blame the fans of Chicago for not being seen on the DVD, blame Hamish because he lost the magic that was there that night. I can attest that there was alot more action, singing and interaction. Remember, that video was cut and pasted between 2 nights, so alot was lost- just do the math- at least 50% wasnt seen, including 'Party Girl' with the fan playing. That wouldve been the saving grace of the DVD.
The problem is THE DIRECTOR- they didn't capture any of the crowd's energy. It KILLS me when people say Chicago SUCKED. I was there and know what I saw. Really, if you weren't in the audience, don't say such blanket statements like that. Say the freakin DVD sucked, and put the blame where it deserves to be- in the director's lap.

Last edited:
mofo82 said:
I'm so tired of people ripping on the Chicago crowds that were at the Vertigo DVD tapings. I take great pride in growing up near Chicago and I can't stand to see people on this forum around the world giving Chicago such a bad reputation. You want to see how good Chicago crowds are? Watch some Chicago Bulls Championship videos, or White Sox tapes from last year. I can tell you that there were times at the Vertigo shows that rivalled those moments. I was there and we got the shaft from Hamish and the horrible directing- how many times do you really see the fans except as a glob of color that's out of focus or 'artistically' blended in with the reflection off another fans lighter?

There was too much camera movement and shot changes that were either out of focus, too quick or too close up the whole time to get a feeling the show really happened in front of 23,000 fans. There were absolutely no pans over the crowd during the show where people would be jumping and excited to be there, and the lighting was shit poor to see any fans, except for in the first 10 rows of the ellispse. Don't blame the fans of Chicago for not being seen on the DVD, blame Hamish because he lost the magic that was there that night. I can attest that there was alot more action, singing and interaction. Remember, that video was cut and pasted between 2 nights, so alot was lost- just do the math- at least 50% wasnt seen, including 'Party Girl' with the fan playing. That wouldve been the saving grace of the DVD.
The problem is THE DIRECTOR- they didn't capture any of the crowd's energy. It KILLS me when people say Chicago SUCKED. I was there and know what I saw. Really, if you weren't in the audience, don't say such blanket statements like that. Say the freakin DVD sucked, and put the blame where it deserves to be- in the director's lap.

Last edited:
J_NP said:
For sure , it's definitely different show . Take at Milan for example , Italians were like singing solos , pretty cool they doin the sounds of Edge's COBL intro solo .

I've read this before. What does it mean to sing a solo? They hum every note or something?

That sounds incredibly annoying.

There are certain moments to sing along and other moments you just let the band do their job. When Bono points the mic out to you, sing all you want...

But otherwise I don't want to hear off key, can't keep up with Bono's melody changes, singing.

Sorry end of rant, it's just that that boring crowd in Chicago ruined certain songs for me by singing along too much...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Sorry end of rant, it's just that that boring crowd in Chicago ruined certain songs for me by singing along too much...

How was the crowd boring if they were singing along or was that sarcasm? :scratch:

U2 fans sure complain a lot :lol: no offense of course:wink: I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It just seems like every part of everything they do is picked a part until someone finds something wrong with it, and it just gets old after awhile. Is there not unconditional love for U2 lol?
*goes into hiding for fear of attacks* :reject:

AngelofHarlem01 said:

How was the crowd boring if they were singing along or was that sarcasm? :scratch:

I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread, almost every other post calls the crowd boring...

It was indeed sarcasm, very very thick sarcasm.

partygirlvox said:

It's not the best (slane, obviously, right from the beginning im hooked!) but i think the boston one was the worst ... the band seemed to lack stage presence, maybe due to the situation they were in with Bono's dad and all the travelling to and from ireland. The only redeeming song on that is in a little while.. but chicago has more than one redeeming song i think.

I just fell out of my chair. I am stunned that anybody could feel that way about the Boston DVD. I consider it to be the most perfectly produced live DVD I've ever seen. Phenomenal freaking DVD....I've probably watched it beginning to end nearly 30 times. But live Streets EVER.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I am stunned that anybody could feel that way about the Boston DVD. I consider it to be the most perfectly produced live DVD I've ever seen.

I could have done without the constant close-ups of Bono's dental work.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I just fell out of my chair. I am stunned that anybody could feel that way about the Boston DVD. I consider it to be the most perfectly produced live DVD I've ever seen. Phenomenal freaking DVD....I've probably watched it beginning to end nearly 30 times. But live Streets EVER.

I disagree, I just think everything was a bit flat - the band, the crowd and the production of it. I would probably like it alot more if it wasnt from the same tour as the slane castle dvd, because I cant help making comparisons. But as for the whole arena dvd thing, I think chicago is way better.

partygirlvox said:

I disagree, I just think everything was a bit flat - the band, the crowd and the production of it. I would probably like it alot more if it wasnt from the same tour as the slane castle dvd, because I cant help making comparisons. But as for the whole arena dvd thing, I think chicago is way better.

That blows my mind. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and there's no right or wrong answer to this, but I think you're crazy. :ohmy:

How can you watch Streets, I Will Follow, Desire, etc and think any part of it is flat?? Wow, it's amazing how two enormous U2 fans can watch the same thing and get a totally different reaction to it.

The only real good thing about Boston is "Streets" ... imo, nothing shines after that.

Slane is great, Slane is better than Boston.

Chicago has rarities that haven't been performed since 1989 and the early eighties. Milan will have the almost same setlist, but it will be better for it's crowd interaction.

See, in order for a show to be complete. The crowd must be involved, it must participate and give the band feedback. You can tell when Bono is into it, when he connects with the fans.

Look at the Slane DVD, Out Of Control, New Year's Day, Staring At The Sun, All I Want Is You, One, Kite, Wake Up Deadman, all great songs -- and if it wasn't for the crowd, those songs would be flat. Streets from Slane is incredible with the lighting and all.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I could have done without the constant close-ups of Bono's dental work.

For sure , how we can give so much respect to a dvd , that while Edge is delivering his bullet solo , the camera is on Bono's plataform shoes :| :huh: :eyebrow: Whenever I watch that , I wanna scream "BRING MALLET BACK ! "

Without mention a dvd that 3 songs , and like that

Back
Top Bottom