The boys have had it all figured out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay, this suddenly came to me yesterday when I was pondering :rolleyes: about U2's musical journey so far. I dont know whether this is a known truth already or if no one ever thought about it. But I think Bono and co. have planned their whole career from day 1. The first 3 albums, Boy, October and War all had the politically conscious, religious, serious rebel rock vibe to them. The next 3, U-Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle&Hum sounded like U2 had moved into classic rock. Then Achtung, Zooropa and Pop were experiments and forays into rock techno. Has anybody noticed this 3 album-genre pattern? The last album which I wasn't too thrilled about, really sounded like the start of an adult contemporary pop trip. If this whole theory is true and I hope its not, I'll have no enthusiasm left in looking forward to their next 2 albums. :|

I don't think Electrical Storm sounds like adult contemporary. I know it's only from the Best Of, but it should give us a clue as to what direction, musically, the band is headed. I like to think of it as sophisticated rock.

Anyone who thinks U2 is turning into adult contemporary obviously didn't see them live on the Elevation tour.

I'm thinking of the live performances of Beautiful Day, Elevation, New York...those and others are some rockin' songs folks.

Man, ATYCLB has been getting dissed quite a bit lately. :scratch:

ATYCLB is no more "Adult Contemporary" that the Joshua Tree.
I've still yet to hear a Muzak version of any ATYCLB songs, but Joshua Tree's got a couple. All I hear when I listen to ATYCLB is great songs, and great guitars, and vocals as well, tracks 1-5 are as good as anything U2 have ever put out.

:madspit:

interesting theory you have there, but I dont know if I would call UF classic rock, whilst Pride wuld be most of the songs on that I find are very experimental, for the time, but anyway I didnt really dig ATYCLB, I find that it is very adult contemporary and I do hope that any further U2 albums of new material are a bit more rocking:)

:scratch: Why do people keep referring to ATYCLB and Electrical Storm as "adult contemporary"? Have you tried to listen to an adult contemporary radio station recently? Well...I haven't because the last time I did I about fell asleep!

wertsie said:
:scratch: Why do people keep referring to ATYCLB and Electrical Storm as "adult contemporary"? Have you tried to listen to an adult contemporary radio station recently? Well...I haven't because the last time I did I about fell asleep!

thats all that they play at work, is the lameass local ac station.

luckily i bring a discman.

and yes, i do know what ac is, just like the other people do. atyclb fits like a glove on that format, which is really really sad to say.

electrical storm though, at least the guitarester version does NOT sound ac, it sounds like a great rock and roll song done perfect.

i have yet to hear the orbit version.

Well, according to your own theory, the next U2 cycle will only last for two more albums and then they'll start a new chapter, which perhaps will be more to your liking, :)

Anyway, I think that the three-album pattern is only true on a very general level. True, U2's first three albums do have something in common, but if you look deep inside the "trilogy", the musical and thematical differences between Boy, October and War are quite considerable, and the same goes for the rest of their albums. Achtung Baby and Zooropa may share some sensibilities, but if you listened to Zooropa in isolation you'd probably have no idea that its precedessor was full of roaring guitars. ATYCLB -may- indicate that U2's major interest now is pure songwriting and tunefullness, but that doesn't mean that their next albums can't have any rocking songs or that they will be carbon copies of ATYCLB.

Zoomerang96 said:

and yes, i do know what ac is, just like the other people do. atyclb fits like a glove on that format, which is really really sad to say.

:no: When I think of ac, I think of Michael Bolton, Richard Marx...sleepy music...Not U2! Never!

ahhh AAAAHHHHHHHH ahhhh AHHHHH

oh year " boys " ........

Survive ....Hold Me....Thrill Me ...Kiss Me ....KILL ME

:censored: :censored: :censored:

:macdevil: :macdevil:

:dance:

u2sangel said:
Adult contempary means boring to me and u2 is anything but that!!!!!!

:yes: Exactly. I equate adult contemporary with boring, uninteresting, and often cheesily lovey-dovey ballads. Never U2!

rephrasing

Okay, I did say ATYCLB sounds like the "start" of an adult contemporary trip. But it definately cannot be classified in the genre which, as someone said, brings to mind lovey dovey ballads a la Michael Bolton. I really like Electrical Storm though!

Perhaps the fact that some of the ATYCLB songs could sound all right on an Adult Contemporary radio station merely indicates that U2 is hard to categorize. They have songs in their repertoire that could be called pop, rock, techno, AC, alternative (Zooropa won a grammy for best alternative album), and then there are a few that defy description.

Back
Top Bottom