THE BOYS ARE ALIVE AND WELL IN IRELAND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
This is awesome news from U2's homeland. U2 are more than deserving of this honor. I know Ireland is a small country, but I just thought this was heartwarming to read for all U2 fans.

12 U2 LP's in Irish album charts following homecoming gigs.

12 of U2's albums are currently in the Irish album charts following two hugely successful gigs at Slane in Meath last Saturday 1 September and Saturday, 25 August.

Record stores around the country are reporting a massive interest in U2's music since the sell out concerts. It often happens that after an artist plays in Ireland their albums re-enter or climb up the charts, but it's quite remarkable to have 12 albums from a band in the charts at the same time.

Their latest album 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' has risen to the top spot whereas their 1987 album 'The Joshua Tree' currently sits at Number 5.

thm_behind.jpg

All That You Can't Leave Behind: Number 1

thm_joshua.jpg

The Joshua Tree: Number 5

thm_bestof.jpg

The Best Of 1980-1990: Number 10

thm_achtung.jpg

Achtung Baby: Number 11

thm_rattle70.jpg

Rattle and Hum: Number 17

thm_unfire-lp.jpg

The Unforgettable Fire: Number 33

thm_zooropa-cd.jpg

Zooropa: Number 35

What good taste those irish people have
smile.gif

Just scrolling through those those album covers made me realise what a great cover the POP album has. I've always thought Boy was my favourite but....

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Dammit, they're not buying Wide Awake in America!

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 09-06-2001).]

Ha ha funny Bubba! Good to hear U2 is back on top in their homeland Chris!

Hey Camilo...great to see you around these parts again.

I would also like to congratulate U2 on receiving the Video Vanguard Award, as well as their chart success in their home country of Ireland...the boys are back in town!

imdf07092001000316a.jpg

Chris

That's good news!! Thanks for posting it!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

That's great to hear!!!
As for Wide awake in America... It's hard to get copies of it here in Europe. Maybe that explains why it isn't in the charts. It is probably sold out.

Originally posted by Gloria:
As for Wide awake in America... It's hard to get copies of it here in Europe. Maybe that explains why it isn't in the charts. It is probably sold out.

Is it? I don't think so. It's easily available here in Germany. Most record stores probably won't have a copy in store because it is not an "important" U2-record, but they should be able to order it for anyone who wants to buy it within a few days.

I could think of two reasons why it didn't make the irish charts:
- It doesn't count as an album. (I think it was taken off the US-charts after one week because they considered it to be a single/EP rather than an album)
- WAIA simply hasn't sold enough copies to make the Irish charts - as I said, it's not the most "important" U2-record.

Well, I have the latest top 30 here in Ireland, and it's pretty much identical, they have stayed there!
eek.gif

1-ATYCLB
8-Best of
11-Achtung
27-R&H

Even Elevation has gone back into the singles charts at 25.

It's kinda allllll U2 here though, especially in the run up to Slane 1, it was blanket U2 coverage in all the papers. There is almost always one U2 song on the radio, they broadcasted the New York Irving Plaza gig again. And, well, Slane1 and Slane2, enough said!
biggrin.gif

With regards WAIA, well, it's definitely in plentiful supply! And as far as I know it is recognised as an album. But for most people, it looks like a rip off. I mean, beside it you got October and Boy reduced to ?7, and they are still selling WAIA for ?10+, and if ya look at the songs, is it worth it? It's the only U2 cd I don't have, and I don't know anyone with it. Are we missing out that much?

It was the same back with Popmart, complete U2 dominance of the charts. Even when ATYCLB was first released there was a surge of renewed interest. I thought it was the same everywhere, especially the UK, but no! Very little U2 in the UK chart. Ah well.

Thanks Gloria, Henne, and Lazyboy for your perspective on U2 from Europe. Sometimes I get discouraged when I see the way many people in our country treat U2, and I'm sure it is the same way in many of your countries as well. But at the same time, for a whole country to embrace U2 like that is comforting for a fan to see. U2 has not always been embraced in their homeland, but what is also awesome to see is that the second generation of U2 fans in Ireland are embracing them with as much, or maybe even more passion than the first generation did. Thanks again for your insights, I welcome them and appreciate them very much.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom