The Bono/Lennon connection...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkys girl

Refugee
I was on another board and found this post...I have thought about this topic before, what do you guys think?

Quoted from Chels82..
but has anyone ever compared John Lennon and Bono? i was sitting at work today thinking about how many things they have in common and coming up to the anniversary of John's death on Saturday.....it made me wonder if people out there have as much hatred for Bono as they did John.

the main comparisons are as follows: John and Bono's moms died when they were young, both went on to write songs about them.

Both are/were very political...always speaking out for unpopular causes, getting the cause heard, and making many enemies in the process.

Both have got/gotten threats, John Lennon from the US government and several other organizations; Bono from everyone from the IRA to NRA.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, i worry that, someday, (as morbid as it may sound) Bono might end up the way John did. Bono is so open and close to the fans, he's very open to things like that. i hate even thinking about it....but the reality is there.

comments please.

------------------
Whatever the deal
she won't let me down...
Wherever I go she's always hanging 'round..."

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

No thoughts huh?!?!

------------------
Whatever the deal
she won't let me down...
Wherever I go she's always hanging 'round..."

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
No thoughts huh?!?!

To be honest, I know very little about John Lennon...*ducks to avoid being hit by flying objects*. So I really can't contribute to this thread.

I'm sure somebody else has some thoughts to share though.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
To be honest, I know very little about John Lennon...*ducks to avoid being hit by flying objects*. So I really can't contribute to this thread.

I'm sure somebody else has some thoughts to share though.

I don't know alot about Lennon either, but someone must have comments about Bono. Thanks Bonochick!
smile.gif

------------------
sunlight, sunlight fills my room
it's sharp and it's clear
but nothing at all like the moon..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

I agree w/ you-it is SCARY to think about, especially when you read about 'stalkers' showing up in front of Bono's apartment-I have read that.

Ugh-I don't even want to think about it.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
I agree w/ you-it is SCARY to think about, especially when you read about 'stalkers' showing up in front of Bono's apartment-I have read that.

Ugh-I don't even want to think about it.
frown.gif
I was having lunch with my mother (Big Bono fan) and she was the one who brought up the subject about similarities between them.

------------------

*+*MaRiA*+*

You could add to your list that both love(d) NYC and have/had apartments there.

Originally posted by U2ME3:
You could add to your list that both love(d) NYC and have/had apartments there.

I found the post on another forum, it's not my list. I don't know enough about Lennon, just what I've seen on TV (history channel) and things like that.

------------------

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by kobayashi:
so none of us know anything except what has been said on tv?
for christ's sake would it hurt us to pick up a feckin' book once in a blue moon?

good one, but some of us are in grad school and are usually found under a pile of 'other' kinds of books.

------------------

*+*MaRiA*+*

i guess what i'm trying to say is, i worry that, someday, (as morbid as it may sound) Bono might end up the way John did. Bono is so open and close to the fans, he's very open to things like that. i hate even thinking about it....but the reality is there.

comments please.

Which is why Bono has a bodyguard, I suppose.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
for christ's sake would it hurt us to pick up a feckin' book once in a blue moon?

good one, but some of us are in grad school and are usually found under a pile of 'other' kinds of books.

oh i know, i have a 20 page essay on south african and chinese telecommunications networks due in about 72 hours. stupid jokes are my only refuge. i'd do it in person but then the things people throuw would actually hurt.
as for your question, i also don't know that much about lennon but i do believe that simply because the times that we live in are a lot more cynical than lennon's heyday, bono is a lot less likely to get the respect and admiration that he deserves.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

I think John is quite opposite to Bono in all stuff , Bono can't play guitar very well , very different voices , characters , john wasn't a religious nut , john was more eccentric , crazy talented man , i'm sorry Lennon is so much bigger to me
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
I think John is quite opposite to Bono in all stuff , Bono can't play guitar very well , very different voices , characters , john wasn't a religious nut , john was more eccentric , crazy talented man , i'm sorry Lennon is so much bigger to me
biggrin.gif

a bit of a stretch to call bono a religous nut.

------------------

I find it silly to think that just because they share a few smilarities that Bono will be shot. I don't believe in superstition...I don't think Bono thinks the same either. Bono isn't quite as political as he used to be...there are hundreds of thousands of politcal people out there...why target Bono?

Another difference: Bono's not an asshole.

This has actually been debated in several threads before. The similiarities are pointed out, then the arguments over who was worth more to helping people. I don't know a lot about Lennon, aside from what I've seen on VH1.

------------------
Change is the only constant

------------------

The connection between music and politics started back in the 60's with protest songs. I think musicians had a lot more impact with their messages than they do nowadays.

Yes, there are similarities, but there are also differences:
they had different ways of dealing with social issues - Lennon had songs and "bed-in"s with Yoko, while Bono uses his status to deal with Jubilee 2000 and Drop the debt campaign.
I don't think Bono is in any real danger - IMO, if anyone wanted to attack him or anything, they would have done it by now. Lots of politicians get more public attention than him when it comes to issues.
Also, Bono didn't desert the band to pursue a solo career.
IMHO (and don't flame me for that) Lennon was a better songwriter.

If Lennon was an idealist, i think of Bono as a realist.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-08-2001).]

Bono is way too political-correct , for example , during Tribute for heroes , POE - " sick of hear it , again and again - that there's never gonna be peace on earth " , but in Notre Dame : " sick of hearing , again and again - that there's gonna be peace on earth " , not good

Bono is way too political-correct , for example , during Tribute for heroes , POE - " sick of hear it , again and again - that there's never gonna be peace on earth " , but in Notre Dame : " sick of hearing , again and again - that there's gonna be peace on earth " , not good

the show was supposed to be somewhat uplifting, not cynical. i thought the lyric change was great.

------------------

I wish , they'd played The Fly

yeah, the were gonna play stranger in a strange land but edge brought the wrong guitar.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom