The bitching thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bitch

Fans who expect to have a say in what the band does (they should have done this or shouldn't have done that)

This however doesn't preclude the right we have to say that we don't like something or that we might have liked it different. For instance I fall partially into one of Blue Room's categories: I don't agree with new versions of songs in a *backward* compilation. I would have liked to see them on the B-sides/remix CD or a separate release U2 7 style - sorry. I'm not saying that this is what the band *should* have done - it is simply what I (UV7) would have liked. The same goes for the inclusion of ATYCLB material on a 90s compilation (NO technicalities please - the song was released in 2000 or 2001, etc, etc - a 90s compilation is what Best of is). Again the same goes for the song selection on the album - I UV7 (as probably every other fan) would have made a different selection to go on the Best Of the last decade (in my case really different). I'm aware that I'm free not to buy the album - in fact I haven't - I received it as a gift from a friend who knew I was keen on the B-sides and remixes disc. :p

ONE of my "thumbs up"

The B-sides disc. :) There are fans who live in parts of the world where singles simply are not sold, as in my case. This album gives me the opportunity to listen to B-sides other than in the ghastly mp3 format.

U2Kitten said:

There are plenty of your pics and other pics paid for by PLEBA girls in there somewhere, but it was much worse and more noticible before they added that gallery a couple months back and all the pic threads were mixed in with the rest. I haven't been there in weeks.

Ohhhhh...I thought you were talking about U2 Guatamala...

I don't care if people want to link to my site or whatever, as long as people can see where the pictures originated from.

U2Kitten said:

U2Guatemala used to give shout outs- I saw a birthday cake credited to Kristie once, but the last few months he stopped. It's like sometimes he just waits to find it on PLEBA and snatch it :grumpy:

DID YOU?? I missed that...
was that my Edge cake? It must have been...*finds link*
Edgecake

let me tell you, having a U2 birthday cake is not cool... I felt obliged to eat it ALL. "Oh no, someone else might eat Edge's head!"

yes anyway, I emailed my offending parties and they were very nice about it, so yay for that.

ultraviolet7 said:
My bitch

Fans who expect to have a say in what the band does (they should have done this or shouldn't have done that)

This however doesn't preclude the right we have to say that we don't like something or that we might have liked it different. For instance I fall partially into one of Blue Room's categories: I don't agree with new versions of songs in a *backward* compilation. I would have liked to see them on the B-sides/remix CD or a separate release U2 7 style - sorry. I'm not saying that this is what the band *should* have done - it is simply what I (UV7) would have liked. The same goes for the inclusion of ATYCLB material on a 90s compilation (NO technicalities please - the song was released in 2000 or 2001, etc, etc - a 90s compilation is what Best of is). Again the same goes for the song selection on the album - I UV7 (as probably every other fan) would have made a different selection to go on the Best Of the last decade (in my case really different). I'm aware that I'm free not to buy the album - in fact I haven't - I received it as a gift from a friend who knew I was keen on the B-sides and remixes disc. :p

ONE of my "thumbs up"

The B-sides disc. :) There are fans who live in parts of the world where singles simply are not sold, as in my case. This album gives me the opportunity to listen to B-sides other than in the ghastly mp3 format.
You know, you're not any different from the other people who admit that they're bitching. You have complaints, and so does everybody else in this thread, so why not just admit what you're doing and stop dancing around it with wordplay? "I UV7 (as probably every other fan) would have made a different selection to go on the Best Of the last decade (in my case really different)" is little different from "You know, the tracklist from the last Best Of sucked. What were they smoking?!" Really, I don't see why so many people here insist on complaining about people complaining...people realize they can't change the band's decisions, but they can discuss them, and of course they will. Is this political correctness or what?! Does every opinion have to be stated tepidly now so as to clarify that you're not trying to control the band?

Last edited:
Kristie said:

let me tell you, having a U2 birthday cake is not cool... I felt obliged to eat it ALL. "Oh no, someone else might eat Edge's head!"

:eeklaugh:

Great cake, BTW!

My complaints

1. The Unforgettable Fire should be back on the setlist
2. Summer Rain should have been on ATYCLB
3. Kite should have been a single
4. What is taking so long with the next album. First, it was supposed to be released after the Elevation tour, then it was October, then December to April to late summer. Now I hear end of 2003?
5. Too many remixes as B-sides and not enough new material
6. If they release a DVD/VHS of a concert, it should be the entire concert without any editing.

Ooh, I just thought of a complaint. I just downloaded the Santiago PopMart concert, and was reminded of the "Mission Impossible" theme.

Why, oh why, did they take such a cool song with such a bizarre time signature and make it boring? The original theme is in 7/4 or something uneven, which is what made it cool. Their version, is boring, plain old 4/4. It's even and made for dancing, but ultimately boring.

Feh!

That and the lack of concert DVDs are my only complaints, so they're doing pretty darned good in my book.

Happy new year, everyone!

typhoon said:

You know, you're not any different from the other people who admit that they're bitching. You have complaints, and so does everybody else in this thread, so why not just admit what you're doing and stop dancing around it with wordplay?

:down: Excuse me but I'm not dancing around anything with wordplay. I certainly don't like certain setlists, songs, etc - but there is one world of difference between saying that the band SHOULD have done this or SHOULDN'T and giving my opinion on the final product or stating what I would have done instead.

"I UV7 (as probably every other fan) would have made a different selection to go on the Best Of the last decade (in my case really different)" is little different from "You know, the tracklist from the last Best Of sucked. What were they smoking?!"

It isn't??? That I don't like a particular setlist doesn't mean that it "sucks". I would never take to myself to make such a statement.

Really, I don't see why so many people here insist on complaining about people complaining...people realize they can't change the band's decisions, but they can discuss them, and of course they will. Is this political correctness or what?! Does every opinion have to be stated tepidly now so as to clarify that you're not trying to control the band?

I'm not complaining about people complaining - I am about people who seem to believe that because they are fans they are entitled to tell the band what to do. Not everybody seems to realise that they are not.

No, opinions don't have to be stated tepidly as to clarify that you're not trying to control the band. They simply have to be stated with due respect to the band and to other fellow fans who may actually like what we don't.

Originally posted by U2fan42
My complaints

1. The Unforgettable Fire should be back on the setlist

3. Kite should have been a single

Agreed.

And why did they remake "Mysterious Ways"? They changed the lines for no reason and ruined the song! It doesn't even sound like it belongs in the song and you can't make out what Bono is saying. They should've left alone.

Well... I wasn't expecting any responses in my bitching thread, I thought it was just going to be me complaining to myself. How mistaken was I? We've even got people bitching about people bitching that they shouldn't be bitching!

Anyhow. I shall once again resume my own bitching devoid of those comments from people who were bitching about people bitching. Which may in turn give them something to bitch about in the future.

I've come accross this review about the Best Of 1990 - 2000 at allmusic.com

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=7:32:03|AM&sql=Ausjx7i44g76r

I completely agree with this reviewer. He Summed up my thoughts exactly.

Maybe I should be greatful we got a Best Of in the first place. Well I think not! From my understanding the original concept of the Best Of albums was to collect the 'best' of U2's work from that decade, which included songs which the average non U2 fan might not be familiar with. Essentially making them become aquainted with the 90's stuff that they may not have noticed.

By remixing songs and including new ones defeats that purpose. These aren't the 90's songs. I very much doubt the average listener would notice a great difference between the orignal Staring At The Sun, Gone and Numb in comparission to the new mixes. So if the originals were of the Best Of they'd be none the wiser anyway.

If they weren't going to do a Best Of properly, then they shouldn't have done one at all.

Do I sound like a complaining ingrate? Well I hope so. That is why I created this thread.

And I can't be bothered editing this post for mistakes either. So there!

JimmyChicken said:
I very much doubt the average listener would notice a great difference between the orignal Staring At The Sun, Gone and Numb in comparission to the new mixes. So if the originals were of the Best Of they'd be none the wiser anyway.
indeed, so the avarage listener wouldn't notice
and us fans already have the originals

so - in conclusion - the only people who probably give a shit about these remixes is the band itself
well, screw them I say

has anyone bitched about this yet? we didn't get a "freebee" from Propaganda for Christmas, like others got PopMart Mexico they previous tour. i expect some sort of video or at least a nice listening CD from some Elevation concert. Maybe Barcelona, or another outdoor venue where dressed up feedback persons get to go up on stage..that would be Germany possibly. we need to hear just how "raspy" Bono's voice was all the way over there in Europe. we are REALLY wanting for another "Bosnia" type broadcast, having missed much of the second leg of the tour...

would someone please revive Propaganda for just one more "give away" for the poor deprived and island-like fans here in the States? it really sucks that we didn't get at least one CD.

edited for clearer reading :)

Last edited:
JimmyChicken said:
From my understanding the original concept of the Best Of albums was to collect the 'best' of U2's work from that decade, which included songs which the average non U2 fan might not be familiar with. Essentially making them become aquainted with the 90's stuff that they may not have noticed.

By remixing songs and including new ones defeats that purpose. These aren't the 90's songs.

:yes: I fully agree. To this I have to add that even if ATYCLB was released in 2000 and technically could make this compilation it's completely unrelated to the 90s material and therefore its inclusion is out of place. To make matters worse it was "half-included" as some of the songs that undoubtedly would have made such a compilation, like Elevation, Kite and Walk On were left out. My opinion is that the idea *was* to make a 90s compilation but it was necessary, most probably out of label pressure to put on something newer fans could relate to like Beautiful Day. Otherwise this "half" inclusion of ATYCLB makes absolutely no sense.

I very much doubt the average listener would notice a great difference between the orignal Staring At The Sun, Gone and Numb in comparission to the new mixes. So if the originals were of the Best Of they'd be none the wiser anyway.

I agree that that it would have been more logical to include the original versions because they were what was produced at the time reviewed.

Re noticing a difference between original and new versions - it depends what you mean by average listener. Only someone not too familiar with the band may not notice the difference because the difference is undeniably huge. It's interesting to see that it was the most experimental material (tracks off Pop and similar stuff found in Zooropa - i.e. Numb) which they re-worked and made more mainstream and in my opinion hence completely mucked it up. I wonder whether this initiative originated from the band itself (I frankly can't see Edge being too happy tampering with the likes of Numb to make them more digestible to the standard radio ear) or else was a label/management suggestion to make the backward catalogue more attractive for the non U2 fan.

In any case, I thank the band for sparing me the "reworking" (in the aformentioned manner) of Mofo and Miami, though the new Gone and Discotheque are more than what I can stand. :yuck:

Originally posted by Salome
and us fans already have the originals

Thank goodness for that.

At the mention of remixes-I don't mind some of the remixes on the "1990-2000" CD. I like the new "Gone" mix, and while I miss the "Boomchas!" on "Discotheque", that new version is interesting.

I will say this, though-"If God Will Send His Angels" isn't really a song I could see myself dancing to, so making a more upbeat version of that song...ehhh.

Then again, I've only really listened to that remix once. Perhaps with repeated listening it would grow on me.

Angela

Now today boys and girls I'm going to continue my bitch on the Best Of 1990 - 2000 because I feel like it.

What's annoying me at the moment are some of the remixes on the B sides CD. This is due to the fact they are remixes of songs on the first CD. I think (and others have mentioned before) that instead of having remixes of songs already on the CD (Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing), they should have been left off in favour of non-remixed B Side songs.

Isn't it about time I got over my bitching of the Best Of 1990 - 2000... Why yes it is! However its 2:30AM in the morning and I can't sleep so why not put this Bitching Thread to good use?

No new album, and no new single make Danospano something---something....

Go crazy?

Don't mind if I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom