The Better Character from the ZooTV Era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite ZooTV Character

• The Fly

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • The Mirror Ball Man

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Macphisto

Votes: 47 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I personal love Macphisto and his humor and calling important figures and non figures only to be hung up on or laughed at.

Who was your favorite character and why?

Aye, Macphisto. he also never left Bono really: I could notice Macphisto's smile in Dr. Robert.

MacPhisto, without doubt. Easily the smartest, most literary character in music history.

"ya know somethin'? you're FOOKIN' BEAUTIFUL!!!" If you want to know what Zoo TV was all about, Mirrorball Man shows it the best :rockon: For me he was most fun to watch, just check Desire from Zoo TV bonus DVD, instant classic, probably the definitive version of the song. This is truely something you can really call spectacular. Also he sang Desire in much better way than Macphisto did, at least you could call it singing, not declaming. "I have a vision! I have a vision! TELEVISION!!!"

Last edited:
Mirrorball Man was a better performer of those specific songs, but MacPhisto was a much better character.

Macphisto was funny as well as Mirroball Man. Both totally insane characters.
and the fly was just hot :drool:

I loved macphisto freakin awsome Bono realy sold it. I also loved the way he sung as him almost thearte or broadway and I dont think he ruined with or without you. WOWOY from sidney is a great preformace vocaly

Hmmmmm,

"The Fly" was a shock, a latex monster – but rocking the house straight to hell,

"Mirrorball Man" was a great, great idea, too – and musically the strongest by far – Bono still played guitar and took WOWY to some of the finest versions ever, while still letting be DESIRE the classic, it should be ...,

"McPhisto" was the greatest drama role and thus stage persona, Bono has shown yet: the appearance, the voice, the Shakespeare-esque sound of his speeches & telephone calls, the singing of snippets, showing the other side of Bono & of all of us ... Those were the days my friends, la la la la ...

I loved Macphisto trying to get Bush Senior on the line - (and making fun of him). Far better than getting medals and finding nice words for him. :sad:

No mention of the "character" for the most of the show, just plain old Bono ? No shades, no hats and shiny clothes, no make up ?

The Fly, out of these. I think he worked the best out of all of them.

It's true Macphisto was the best developed character but something about him doesn't sit with me. Maybe it's the make up.

Mirrorball Man - maybe if I had seen more of the TV evangelists he mocks...

Last edited:
Macphisto for sure , seen him in Rotterdam 3 times and Nijmegen 1 time.
The way everyone was shocked and yet excited on Rotterdam 9th of May `93 by seeing Macphisto for the first time will be in my memory forever.
Macphisto rules:wink:

By the way wasn`t Bono doing another character during Bullet ( after Edge`s solo ) and RTSS?

And during rehearsels for the indoor tour Bono even had another character called space-cowboy.
Bono was wearing a hat and was pulled up from the b-stage with wires under his armpits.
He was even playing the harmonica while in the air.
But it was to painfull and was scratched.
There`s a pic in the Tour Documentary book of this.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

The other character was the Anti-Smack Commando.

I don't think he really counts though, since his whole personality was just "I'm pretending that I'm on smack!".

Back
Top Bottom