The Best Tour For Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ultraviolet92 said:

yeppp both are high c's if u need anymore help just tell me

The High C 's in the Seattle versions is so clean. His voice sounds very young on that version.

I mailed you the studio version of WOS, is the Wave note a High A? And the live version note?

thanks I really liked your post..
I agree that on paper the Elevation tour wasn't the best version of Bad, but I have a niggling issue with the Vertigo tour. Musically everything was stonger and Bono was vocally more capable, but it wasn't as rounded as an overall experience as the Elevation tour for me. Maybe it was because I was at the Earl's court shows when Bob Hewson passed away but there was an emotional level to the concert that defies conversations about vocal range.

What's great it that on the next tour, U2 could play Bad and it could be the best version you've ever heard, like Tokyo or Croke or Leesds - that's enough for me!

I have always thought that the first tour was the best. It might be a case of "freshest is best." I think its exactly because they didn't really know it that it was allowed its own head. Its spirit came out the strongest as a result. It was more freewheeling, more organic on the first tour. The performance that I like the best is the one on Wide Awake. It has a swing or a groove to it that later versions completely lack.

I think that the song became such a showpiece that it kind of affected the performance of it. Have you ever done something brilliantly the first time and then every other time after that you try to recapture that performance but you can't because of self-imposed expectations? I imagine with a song as naturally loose-limbed as Bad is, that the minute they got into the mental frame that Bad had to be great, a big centerpiece with a big payoff, that they sucked some of the life out of it. They would have to. In order to make it a consistent highlight, they had to put some discipline in it. Bad plus too much discipline is, well, need I say it? Let's just say it was not a good thing.

I may be wrong but it seems like Bad kinda faded away (that last pun was so not intentional, BTW) in the 90's. It was semi-retired there for awhile. I think it did it some good because when they played it regularly again it was as close to new as it could be. It started to fly & groove again. That to me was always one of the best things about it live. It was such a wonderful treat to hear it like that, so free, with something extra not found on the album. As opposed to the fragility of the album version, it was a wonderful character change to the full and strong sound of the live performance, almost like having two completely different songs from the one brilliant idea.

Sorry for the length of this reply but it just got me going on one of my favorite U2 subjects, that is anything and everything Bad. (How many songs after all can be a whole subject anyway. Not freakin many I'll just hazard) Funny thing is that I was just listening to it on UF and the thought crossed my mind to dust off my Wide Awake and listen to that version too. Then I saw this thread. Now I just gotta go and pop it in.

Anything but the album version, which is bland and dull in comparison. I will say that the JT versions were likely the strongest, but certain Vertigo performances of it were great too, such as in Tempe 4/15/05.

Whiteflag is on the mark with this song. For me though every version from every tour is special in one way or another. I try not to compare a performance from say ZooTV to one from JT as they do rework little details of the song from tour to tour. Nothing however will ever match those from The Unforgettable Fire and Lovetown shows. Band performance, energy and the sheer power and passion in Bono's voice were at the absolute top.

Back
Top Bottom