The Best Solos of The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are we talking by edge standards or general standards? I think if its the latter there would be a shortage of what would be classed as solos. But my fave edge type solo is prob from love is blindness live. Its such a brilliant climax and really adds feeling and passion to the song.

gman said:
are we talking by edge standards or general standards? I think if its the latter there would be a shortage of what would be classed as solos. But my fave edge type solo is prob from love is blindness live. Its such a brilliant climax and really adds feeling and passion to the song.

You can talk about both if you want - I was thinking Love is Blindness myself, actually! At ZooTV: Sydney, it was unbelievable.

Yup yup yup philly, thats exactly the one! Great minds think alike eh. In my opinion, the only real offering edge could take to the table of great guitar solos is Bullet. the rest are edge moments which arent as complicated as some but sure do add feeling to the songs. Take the slide bit in kite, before the "am a man, am not a child" bit, that oozes feeling for me. if you heard that bit alone u would get the gist of the song.

I'm also a big fan of the ending of Until the End of the World, if you call it a solo (I think it is), it's the second solo in that song, and it's unbelievable. Live, well, I just hope I will hear it live someday.

Discotheque , edge aint done a better riff.
Until the end of the world , best life performance.

The Fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That song has everything.
But The best riff is Discotheque probably.
My own fave is Bad-live.

Bullet - ZOOTV or Popmart or Vertigo
One Tree Hill - Lovetown Tour , specially Dublin dec 26
Desire - Lovetown Rotterdam
God Part II - Lovetown
All Along the watchtower - Lovetown
Fly - ZOOTV
WOWY - ZOOTV (Not very big but I find it great for the end of the song )

Holy shit there are so many .....

Isn't the thread title an oxymoron of some sort?

All kidding aside, the Fly by a mile. By two miles. By ten miles. Fuck Lovetown Desire, people, a solo is supposed to go somewhere and have a conclusion.

Canadiens1160 said:

All kidding aside, the Fly by a mile. By two miles. By ten miles. Fuck Lovetown Desire, people, a solo is supposed to go somewhere and have a conclusion.

:up:

It all begins and ends with The Fly. I love how in the Vertigo version Edge adds some bits from the Lady With the Spinning Head solo into The Fly solo too.

The Fly = most badass song U2 has and ever will do.

Canadiens1160 said:

Really , I thought this was only for opinions :wink:

Then I see you DO understand bout guitar playing huh

To whomever noted the lead on All Along the Watchtower from the Lovetown Tour, I second that, third that, fourth that.........

I've heard that lead a thousand times and it gives me chills everytime. Absolutely incredible!

Canadiens1160 said:

I thought a solo was just a time for the guitarist to show off. ;)

To me it has to be Love Is Blindness live. It seems that the guitar is crying! Edge can make melancholic sounds so perfectly... It's amazing... I also like Bullet live it's amazing what the man can do!

Desire/All Along The Watchtower from 27 September 1989 and One Tree Hill from 26 December 1989 both for the win.

UTEOTW, The Fly, New year's day and Love is blindness.

ETA: Electric co. is astounding :rockon:

Edgy baby's the best!!

Last edited:
The beauty of Edge's guitar playing is that he doesn't have to be fast to be great. His ability to play a solo that makes sense, regardless of how slow or easy, is what makes him so great. I think Pride is the best example. It's pretty easy but it's so good...perfect solo for that song.

Anyways, here are my tops:

Electric Co
Until the End Of The World
New Years Day
All I Want Is You

annie_vox said:
To me it has to be Love Is Blindness live. It seems that the guitar is crying! Edge can make melancholic sounds so perfectly... It's amazing... I also like Bullet live it's amazing what the man can do!

Yes how could I forget this one .... one that I even play on my guitar .....

It's probably Edge's best sustain solo

studio? The Fly

live? Bullet (ZooTV), Love is Blindness, New York, Please, God Part II! :rockon:

Until the End of the World has two great solos - the bridge and the ending

edge's "best" solo is from a rare track he recorded to the womanfish performance on TV.

rumor has it that one night while recording for the joshua tree album, edge got real drunk and decided to play the tape from the show and play along while recording it. sources say edge was screaming "IM EDGIE VAN HALEN, BITCHES!!!!" over and over afterwards. the link for this rare file is here:

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C9BBCCDC46890DD6

:wink: :lol:

Last edited:
just like the first 800 threads on the same subject:

1. The Fly from ZooTv

2. Love is Blindness or Bullet Zoo TV

........all the rest

Axver you could buy my vote if you posted that version of One Tree Hill.

Back
Top Bottom