The Best Of's -- bad decisions, long-term consequences.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lewis Black

Babyface
In the final analysis, I really question some of the decisions U2 made in releasing their two Best Of albums for the first decades:
  • With plenty of time left on the disc, they truncate "Where the Streets Have No Name."
  • The inexplicable lyric switch in "Mysterious Ways."

(Has anyone come up with a reasonable about that? It throws me off every time I play the CD.)
  • The four Zooropa/POP remixes, all fairly good but quite unnecessary.
  • The inclusion of two and only two ATYCLB singles.
That doesn't even account for the controversial ommisions (Bullet & the Fly), the new songs, and the lack of the Buffalo video of "One" in the 90-00 DVD.

(That video was only the best video of the decade and the visual centerpiece for the compilation's cover art and the DVD's intro... Don't get me started.)

But my question is, does any of this matter in the long run? Lots of Best Of CD's aren't as good as they could be. Led Zeppelin's Early & Latter Days omit "Ramble On," and Springsteen's Greatest Hits omit "I'm On Fire." Even so, the albums are what they're supposed to be: a decent introductions for the unitiated.

Will this be the case for U2? Are the two Best Of albums good enough?

If it weren't for my horse...

While U2's two Best Ofs certainly aren't perfect, I don't have any huge complaints about them. No matter what the band did, someone was going to bitch about what was included and what wasn't.

BTW, all three versions of the "One" video were on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, including the buffalo one.

It's been a while since I watched the DVD, but I could have sworn the buffalo version of "One" was on there. Maybe it's time for me to watch the DVD again.

The documentary on "One" mentioned the Buffalo video and showed highlights, but I don't think the complete video is anywhere on the DVD.

If it is, it's news to me -- very welcome news.

Some random replies:

The complete video of the Buffalo One is not anywhere in the DVD in full form.

Bullet is not a notable omission from the first Best Of. More notable are songs released as singles and fairly popular - Out Of Control, 11 O Clock Tick Tock, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One ....and the most notable omission of all - Gloria. They could have done without When Love Comes To Town which never took off and seems out of place on the record anyway.

For the truncated Streets, U2 have decided that the song doesn't fit for the start of the album, hence the truncated version was used. I don't think you will get a good listen to have the full and long version of Streets in the middle of the album. The long synth intro will destroy the momentum built up by the previous songs.

I think Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America don't qualify as their best work for 1990-2000 - first off it wasn't made during that era, and second, the two omitted singles from ATYCLB are much better (Walk On, Elevation). U2 should have stuck to the original formula and rehashed, re-recorded, or remixed a b-side from the 1990-2000 era and released it as a single.

I have no bones about the new mixes. They are still the same songs anyway, and since I already have the original mixes in the original albums, any new mix is appreciated.

I am also puzzled about the Mysterious Ways lyric change. Even Bono didn't sing that lyric live. U2 usually have reworked their songs to make it sound closer to the live versions (Walk On hallelujah mix, Please single mix, Gone new mix), but the new twist on Mysterious Ways has me puzzled.

Cheers,

J

I don't think the lyric switch will matter much to the uninitiated, and the rest is really a matter of opinion. I agree that The Fly should have been on the second Best Of, but the studio version of Bullet is IMO flat as pancake compared to the live one, and a live performance would feel out of place.

I don't remember seeing the full buffalo thing on Best Of. I always thought it was a pretty dull video, personally, though with a nice concept.

While the lyric change in Mysterious ways is well... Mysterious... I don't think it makes or breaks the album or even presents a minor problem to me.

For whatever reason they liked that lyric better? and wanted to include it instead, thats fine, its not like they changed every verse or the beat to it.

I enjoyed the new mixes, especially the Gone mix (sounds way more like it does live). Any new Mix is welcome, and I thought the new Numb mix was really, really good.

as for why Walk On and The Fly was left off, I dont know. Edge said that the fly did not stand the test of time in an interview I read. Walk on? Who knows why that was left off. Definitly should have been on there IMO...

And while a few people like Miss Sarajevo... to snub Walk On for that or even The Fly or Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is just ridiculous.

But, it's also the "Best Of"... what they feel was the best of, and what they wanted to put on... it wasn't a greatest hits record. There is a difference.

Hello,

They left off Elevation and Walk On because those singles were released in 2001. So they'll probably end up on the next compilation.

I agree with Jick :)shocked: ) regarding Where The Streets Have No Name. However, it is strange they made a new edit of that song instead of using the single version (and IMHO the 'Best Of edit' isn't as good as the album or single versions).

And the new mixes of the songs? I don't know the reason for using them, although especially Gone and Numb sound great.

But does it matter in the end? I don't know. I think it doesn't. The compilations are good introductions and while not complete they do give a good picture of U2's work. It's unfortunate that some tracks are left off (Gloria), but it doesn't disturb the balance of the records. Although The Best Of 1990-2000 may paint a too conventional picture of Zooropa with the track selection and mixes.

C ya!

Marty

Lewis Black said:
But my question is, does any of this matter in the long run? Lots of Best Of CD's aren't as good as they could be. Led Zeppelin's Early & Latter Days omit "Ramble On," and Springsteen's Greatest Hits omit "I'm On Fire." Even so, the albums are what they're supposed to be: a decent introductions for the unitiated.

Will this be the case for U2? Are the two Best Of albums good enough?

You make some really great points here. I think most of these bands, or who ever it is that ends up compiling them probably have a hard enough time of deciding what goes on and what doesnt. These type of cd's really arent made for the fans, but for the casual listener who wouldnt normally buy an entire album but would like all the hits. I'm sure these bands themselves probably change their minds frequently on what are their 'Bests'.

I imagine most of these decisions finally just come to a point where the bands finally say "this will do" and accepts a tracklisting, whether it's flawed or not.

PS - Great examples with the Zepp and Springstein compilations, those are a couple I've always wondered about too

Zooropa said:
The version of "Streets" on the best of, is the single version, not the album version. Maybe they felt that's what most people were used to?

Sorry to burst a bubble here, but it is not the single version on The Best Of 1980-1990. BTW, my main gripe with the 'best of edit' is that it fades out instead of having the great guitar outro. I can understand shortening the intro.

C ya!

Marty

Re: Re: The Best Of's -- bad decisions, long-term consequences.

u2popmofo said:
PS - Great examples with the Zepp and Springstein compilations, those are a couple I've always wondered about too

Of course those were great examples; otherwise I wouldn't have made them!

Popmartijn said:

Sorry to burst a bubble here, but it is not the single version on The Best Of 1980-1990. BTW, my main gripe with the 'best of edit' is that it fades out instead of having the great guitar outro. I can understand shortening the intro.

C ya!

Marty
I stand corrected, you are right Marty. The Single version has Edges backing vocals, and the best of mix doesn't.

Lewis Black said:
[*]The inexplicable lyric switch in "Mysterious Ways."

(Has anyone come up with a reasonable about that? It throws me off every time I play the CD.)

I never really understood the random lyric change, either. Actually, I still haven't figured out what Bono's saying in the new lyric :der: Haha... could someone enlighten me?

I think Best of 1980-90 is very good. Bullet was dropped because it wasn?t a single. Instead of it, they would add In God?s Country (released as a single in US) or One Tree Hill (released in NZ and Australia I guess). But these songs aren?t known in the whole world and there?s a limit of songs in the album. There?s no dropped song in Best of 1980-90. It?s definetely a compilation of U2 greatest hits.

Best of 1990-2000 is good. Gone New Mix is highly better than the original version. Staring At The Sun New Mix SUCKS. It?s too acoustic and I guess the song has lost its feeling.

Numb New Mix sucks. But the original version sucks too. I hate Numb and I think it?s one of the worst U2 songs.

They dropped Lemon because it?s too big (7 minutes) and too weird. Well, I simply LOVE Lemon. But I ain?t sad. Lemon Deep Mix (I don?t know if it?s JEEP mix or Junk Day mix) is great and it?s on the B-SIDES cd.

But THE FLY mustn?t have been dropped. And I think PLEASE must have been added. U2 needs more protest songs.

i think they changed the lyric so we the fans could have a choice...
like something new. maybe Bono wasnt sure which one to use in the original album so they shelved this other option, and released it now as a sort of unrealeased bside. it was quite nice of them in a way. cuz now u have TWO versions of MW instead of one :wave:

I think Best of 1980-1990 was just perfect, except the fact that Gloria wasn't included.

As for Best of 1990-2000 there are a few things i don't understand:
1) The Fly: this song was the introduction to the U2 of the 90s, and should definitely have been included. Big mistake to leave this one out.

2) Why is The First Time on the CD? I don't think it was a single and the song isn't that good at all.

3) Electrical Storm: the rockversion of the b-side disc is way better than the Orbit-remix so i think these two should have been switched.

The reason Walk On and Elevation weren't included is simple. These were singles in 2001 and not in 2000. In my opinion it would have been better to have not included any ATYCLB songs at all, because with this record U2 enters a new decennium. In the 90s U2 experimented a lot and so i think it had been better if The best of 1990-2000 only consisted of songs from AB, Zooropa and Pop and the 2 singles in between, Miss sarajevo and HMTMKMKM.

patrick

I heard that The Fly is on the British and Japanese versions of the Best Of. Would that be right? I know it's not on the Australian one ...

StlElevation said:
And while a few people like Miss Sarajevo...
Yeah, like this guy named Bono says it's one of his favorite songs. Thank God he didn't have any input, huh?
FelipeVox said:
I think Best of 1980-90 is very good. Bullet was dropped because it wasn?t a single.
Yeah, just like "Bad" and "Until the End of the World," other live favorites that weren't singles. Thank God they weren't included and that every single U2 did, including "Gloria" and "Last Night On Earth," was.
patrickU217 said:
2) Why is The First Time on the CD? I don't think it was a single and the song isn't that good at all.
Will you people get over the single thing? And guess what, the band digs this tune too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom