the best of the edge - guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkydog

The Fly
we recently had a poll on the best of the edge's vocals..

how about his guitar bits???

I reckon his Fly solo is by far his finest moment..

Does it have to be something recorded in the studio, or can I nominate some great live moments? Just because Edge's playing on the Lovetown Tour was extraordinary - One Tree Hill, God Part II, Desire, Hawkmoon 269, they were all sensational.

go out on a limb.. pick a single moment - live or on cd...

For that matter I'll also add the killer rhythm guitar he lays down in the R&H Exit... deadly!

Too many to list, I'd have to rank them or else I'd go on for hours.

So I'll just do a top 5 solos.

'The Fly' solo from ZooTv is my favorite solo of his.
also Love is Blindness and Bullet from the same tour are great solos. IMO, they are 3 of his top 5 solos, without question.
The end of Gone on Elevation and maybe Walk On, from the album are my top 5 solos (totally off the top of my head)

Shit, I didn't even hit "submit reply" and thought of When I Look at the World's solo. It's tough to do a list like this on the spot. No matter what, ZooTV Fly is #1 on my list, it has always been my favorite.

U2DMfan said:
Too many to list, I'd have to rank them or else I'd go on for hours.

So I'll just do a top 5 solos.

'The Fly' solo from ZooTv is my favorite solo of his.
also Love is Blindness and Bullet from the same tour are great solos. IMO, they are 3 of his top 5 solos, without question.
The end of Gone on Elevation and maybe Walk On, from the album are my top 5 solos (totally off the top of my head)

Shit, I didn't even hit "submit reply" and thought of When I Look at the World's solo. It's tough to do a list like this on the spot. No matter what, ZooTV Fly is #1 on my list, it has always been my favorite.

Everything about ZooTV Fly is great. The rocking guitar, the drums towards the end, Bono's deep voice...

My favorite Edge guitar moment - the end of Until the End of the World, ZooTV.

Not for compexity or skill but just because of the way it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end I would say the Streets intro!

CKONE said:
Not for compexity or skill but just because of the way it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end I would say the Streets intro!

Spot On!!!

LIVE: UTEOTW, BTBS, Love Is Blindness, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Electric Co.

STUDIO: Acrobat, Mysterious Ways, Gone, Last Night On Earth

COOL EFFECTS: WOWY, Intro to Zooropa, MOFO

Desire solo during Lovetown kicked ass. I was listening to a show the other day where bono said "11 o'clock tick tock" during Bullet and Edge played a snippet of 11 O'clock during the song. It was sweet.

Axver said:
Just because Edge's playing on the Lovetown Tour was extraordinary - One Tree Hill, God Part II, Desire, Hawkmoon 269, they were all sensational.

:yes:

and all along the watchtower :drool:

now dont laugh:

WOMANFISH!!!!!!, i know it's not the best, but its worth a mention.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

as far as solos go, i'd have to say lovetown god part II, the fool, and street mission.

Last edited:
studio:
1.The Fly
2.Exit
3.Even Better Than the Real Thing

Live
1.Until the End of the World
2.The Fly
3.Bullet the Blue Sky (Zootv era)

I'll stick to studio versions:

Best Edge freakouts:
Electric Co. (though live Under a Blood Red Sky version is the best)
The Fly
Bullet
Acrobat
Plus his guitar work on New Year's Day is stellar (especially all those scratchy fills in the background).

Edge Sublime:
Velvet Dress solo
The imagery painted by the guitar in Walk to the Water is subtle and amazing

The Fly (i like Vertigo version)
Bullet the Blue Sky (any live version)
Electrical Storm
Mysterious Ways
Even Better than the Real Thing

Judah said:
I'll stick to studio versions:

Best Edge freakouts:
Electric Co. (though live Under a Blood Red Sky version is the best)
The Fly
Bullet
Acrobat
Plus his guitar work on New Year's Day is stellar (especially all those scratchy fills in the background).

Edge Sublime:
Velvet Dress solo
The imagery painted by the guitar in Walk to the Water is subtle and amazing

Oooh yeah... walk to the water....:drool:

junkydog said:
go out on a limb.. pick a single moment - live or on cd...

For that matter I'll also add the killer rhythm guitar he lays down in the R&H Exit... deadly!

RAH Exit. :drool:

Well, to nominate some amazing live moments from Edge, in no particular order:

1. The One Tree Hill solo from 26 December 1989 may just be his finest hour. What a great sounding solo.
2. The shredding solo he did sometimes during Desire on Lovetown. 27 September 1989 and 10 January 1990 are particularly good examples.
3. The way he totally rocked out All Along The Watchtower on Lovetown.
4. The slide solo that opened Hawkmoon 269 all eight times it was played.
5. Some of the ZooTV Bullet The Blue Sky solos. I don't really enjoy some (i.e. 28 August 1993), but I love others (i.e. 27 November 1993).
6. 11 O'clock Tick Tock, 5 June 1983: Edge is simply scorching! Why this version was used only on the UABRS video and not the CD baffles me.
7. God Part II on Lovetown. Edge sounded simply incredible, especially on the solo at the end.

Edge studio...

-Until the End of the World
-Acrobat
-Hawkmoon 269
-Rejoice
-Ultra Violet

Edge live

-The Fly - Zoo TV
-Electric Co. - UABRS
-With or Without You - Lovetown
-Love is Blindness - Zoo TV
-Last Night on Earth - Popmart

another of my fav moments is on the Washington DVD (i think), during UV. Beginning of the second verse, when the camera focuses on him for a bit and you see him completely into the moment... closes his eyes and just grooves... that sends shivers down my spine!!!

The Cry/The Electric Co. (live)
Zoo Station (live)
Bullet The Blue Sky (live/Vertigo)
City of Blinding Lights (live)

Vertigo (studio)
Mofo (studio)

The FLY, ACROBAT (fantastic the derailing guitar solo), LOVE IS BLINDNESS (the distorted guitar is genius), BTBS (live version on the stay Maxi single), MOFO

Back
Top Bottom