The Best Of... as they should have been...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clawgrabber said:

sorry, but beautiful day doesn't fit for several reasons:

1. Theme: to reiterate what others have said, this was a best of the nineties. Beautiful Day is from a new decade with a new sound. It doesn't sound good alongside the other tracks from the nineties
2. the tracks omitted from the best of are glaring. i know many "non-fans" who have complained that the second best of isn't as good as the first, and have asked why "lemon" and "who's gonna ride" aren't on there. They don't ask about please because that song is probably something they haven't heard, but it should be on there too.
3. saving Beautiful Day and stuck would have been smart. why? you think releasing a best of from only 3 cds is "britney spears"? Try releasing one from 2 and a half (if they finish the new album in 07 or 08, and given their track record i don't think they will record another before the end of the decade, then all they have for 00-10 are ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and the Rubin Album. They already "blew their wad" with the ATYCLB songs, splitting them in half and reducing the number of real hits for VOL 3 significantly) YEah, beautiful day sells records, but it should have been on the same Best Of as Stuck, Elevation, Walk On.
Splitting those tracks was an enormous mistake.
4. They wouldn't have been pulling from 3 records. They would have been pulling from 4 (if you include passengers) plus a huge single (Hold Me)
5. they had no less than 16 major singles from the decade, and including GONE and UNTIL THE END, they had plenty of tracks not to pillage the OUGHTS.
6. I will repeat: splitting the tracks greatly reduces the possibility of enough tracks for VOL 3
7. MOST IMPORTANT: You want real hard reasons? DATES.

I Will Follow was released in OCTOBER 1980. All I Want Is You in June 1989.

The key fact here is that each Best Of has the chronological overlap date of their first year. (I.e.) 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 share "1990", so there must be some determining factor to understand which decade the song goes with. Since I WILL FOLLOW came out in OCTOBER 1980, and IT IS INCLUDED in 1980, then by the same token BD being released in October 2000 dictates that it be included in the 2000-2010.

The chronology should be Jan 1 1980 - Dec 31 1989 = EIGHTIES,
Jan 1 1990 - Dec 31 1999 = Nineties
Jan 1 2000 - Dec 31 2009 = Oughties

I still don't understand how people don't see this. Beautiful Day didn't come out in the ninties. Saying that if it came out in the first year of a new decade (1980, 1990, 2000) that it should be included in the PREVIOUS decade is completely illogical.

Yeah, Beautiful Day sells albums, but including it on ANOTHER CD 2 years after ATYCLB is not the way to make new fans or get people who found U2 in 2000 to buy another CD. THey look at the tracklist, see they already have 2 songs and pass. That is why it didn't sell as many copies as the first best of. it was too soon to include recent hits, while omitting obvious shoe ins.

i could go on all day, because BD's inclusion defies ALL LOGIC. but i will stop there

you just said it all... me 100% agree :up:;)

Clawgrabber said:

sorry, but beautiful day doesn't fit for several reasons:

1. Theme: to reiterate what others have said, this was a best of the nineties. Beautiful Day is from a new decade with a new sound. It doesn't sound good alongside the other tracks from the nineties
2. the tracks omitted from the best of are glaring. i know many "non-fans" who have complained that the second best of isn't as good as the first, and have asked why "lemon" and "who's gonna ride" aren't on there. They don't ask about please because that song is probably something they haven't heard, but it should be on there too.
3. saving Beautiful Day and stuck would have been smart. why? you think releasing a best of from only 3 cds is "britney spears"? Try releasing one from 2 and a half (if they finish the new album in 07 or 08, and given their track record i don't think they will record another before the end of the decade, then all they have for 00-10 are ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and the Rubin Album. They already "blew their wad" with the ATYCLB songs, splitting them in half and reducing the number of real hits for VOL 3 significantly) YEah, beautiful day sells records, but it should have been on the same Best Of as Stuck, Elevation, Walk On.
4. They wouldn't have been pulling from 3 records. They would have been pulling from 4 (if you include passengers) plus a huge single (Hold Me)
5. they had no less than 16 major singles from the decade, and including GONE and UNTIL THE END, they had plenty of tracks not to pillage the OUGHTS.
6. I will repeat: splitting the tracks greatly reduces the possibility of enough tracks for VOL 3

The key fact here is that each Best Of has the chronological overlap date of their first year. (I.e.) 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 share "1990", so there must be some determining factor to understand which decade the song goes with. Since I WILL FOLLOW came out in OCTOBER 1980, and IT IS INCLUDED in 1980, then by the same token BD being released in October 2000 dictates that it be included in the 2000-2010.

I still don't understand how people don't see this. Beautiful Day didn't come out in the ninties. Saying that if it came out in the first year of a new decade (1980, 1990, 2000) that it should be included in the PREVIOUS decade is completely illogical.

Yeah, Beautiful Day sells albums, but including it on ANOTHER CD 2 years after ATYCLB is not the way to make new fans or get people who found U2 in 2000 to buy another CD. THey look at the tracklist, see they already have 2 songs and pass. That is why it didn't sell as many copies as the first best of. it was too soon to include recent hits, while omitting obvious shoe ins.

i could go on all day, because BD's inclusion defies ALL LOGIC. but i will stop there

Your post say it all :up:

Clawgrabber said:
the theme is greatest hits 90 - 00
it's not the most logical thing to include the song, but it doesn't make it a reason not to do so

if Beautiful Day hadn't been included even a lot more of "non-fans" would have wondered why they didn't include it as it's probably one of the reasons they were interested in U2

who says they have to do a 00-10 compilation though?
they were under contract for 3 best ofs as far as I remember
they can do whatever they want really
I wouldn't advise them a 00-10 compilation
maybe the box set will be a good option around that time

ok, 3 albums + 2 songs

I couldn't even name 16 singles U2 from the 90s to be quite honest
I'm sure they had, but they aren't exactly in the collective conscience

I agree yes

the fact is that it didn't say that it was the best of the 80s or the best of the 90
maybe they had a reason to do this?

as for I will follow - All I want is you
it fits the 80 - 90 description
it also fits the 80s description but since they didn't put that on the album cover it isn't relevant really

if I had been in charge of putting together that best of I wouldn't have put Beautiful Day on there probably
but I don't see how I can refute its right to be on there
especially from a business point of view

Salome said:
I couldn't even name 16 singles U2 from the 90s to be quite honest
I'm sure they had, but they aren't exactly in the collective conscience

Below are the 16 singles of the 90s. One asterisk means it didn't appear on the Best Of 1990-2000, two asterisks means it appeared on the Best Of 1990-2000 but in butchered form, no asterisks means it appeared on the Best Of 1990-2000 in original form.

The Fly*
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses*
Numb**
Lemon*
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Discotheque**
Staring At The Sun**
Last Night On Earth*
Please*
If God Will Send His Angels*
Mofo*

namkcuR said:

Below are the 16 singles of the 90s. One asterisk means it didn't appear on the Best Of 1990-2000, two asterisks means it appeared on the Best Of 1990-2000 but in butchered form, no asterisks means it appeared on the Best Of 1990-2000 in original form.

The Fly*
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses*
Numb**
Lemon*
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Discotheque**
Staring At The Sun**
Last Night On Earth*
Please*
If God Will Send His Angels*
Mofo*

Yeah, 16 singles...
Not to mention the songs that despite not being singles, deserved radio promocionals or even special videos like UTEOTW or Love Is Blindness or even The First Time that re-appered in a soundtrack later...

ponkine said:

Do you want a warning or what?

Why you can't discuss without being coarse?

A warning? I'm not being coarse
I'm just stating that I don't want to a be lame arse
I bet none of us wants to be a lame arse

I didn't think your "Jealous" post was an invitation to a deep discussion about anything
maybe I misinterpreted it? :)

Salome, i appreciate debate but it seems your retorts are basically "who says" and "if i were in charge"

there seems to be no logic there.

80-90 isn't necessariy an 80s collection?
90-00 isn't necessarily a 90s collection?

it seems you are just shaping your argument without basis. no offense, but nothing you have said has even begun to convince me otherwise that Beautiful Day doesn't belong on the best of 1990-2000

fundamentally, splitting album tracks between compliations lends itself to a lack of sonic flow (pop and atyclb don't sound the same at all)

and since Stuck was released in 2001, there is no way it should have been included. I don't care when the album came out.

what the boys need is a little cohesion and symmetry. and balance. they need to look further down the line. Slapping BD and Stuck on 90-00 is likt slapping The Fly and Mysterious Ways onto 80-90 (if that comp came out in 1992)

sure, they both came out in 2001 rather than 2000, but in terms of sonic balance, the logic holds. and since the fly and stuck both came out in the '1 year of the decade, the parallel holds as well.

BD came out after the dawn of the new decade (and millenium...)

when we celebrate new years eve 99 and it becomes 00, we dont include 00 in the nineties decade. the decade ends and a new one begins.

i don't see how that is a difficult premise to follow

and besides, if we are to include songs from 1980-1990 and include the entirety of both bookend years, that leaves us with 11 years for the compilation

just like with any date, you don't count the last number as being an item in the list

like bill clinton was president from January 1993 To January 2001 for Exactly 8 years, right?

but you don't count 93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01 because if you count each one as a full year, you are left with a 9 year term.

the way we list dates holds that the beginning date is the start and the end date is the end, and you dont count both as full years. the same with days of the week. on a friday you can say that in 7 days it will be friday again. but if you count both fridays you get 8. you don't count both. Because of the overlap i mentioned.

they don't need to say "this is a collection of music from the nineties" for that to hold true. it is understood. from the BEGINNING of 1990 to the BEGINNING of 2000, these are the best of our discography.

Not from the BEGINNING of 90 to the END of 00.

Sorry, but that just isn't the way years are counted.

in any kind of numerical archiving, the system holds that this is the way dates are listed. It doesn't need to be spelled out on the cover for it to be true.

look up Census figures as an example. The decades 1980-1990 are from APRIL 1 1980 to APRIL 1 1990 (because April is the month when the census is issued) that is EXACTLY 10 YEARS. Your logic would say that population fluctuation that occurred in november of 1990 should be included in these numbers, but they weren't. They were included in the dates April 1 1990 to April 1 2000.

Go to any library in the world and ask to see their archival log of The New York Times from 1990 to 2000 and see if any library includes archival information during the year 2000.

And when you ask them where the year 2000 is, they will look at you funny and say "you asked from 90 TO 2000, not 2000 TO Present"

Your logic is flawed

for them to include BD it would have to be called 1990-2001 (the Beginning of 1990 to the Beginning of 2001) and even then it wouldn't include Stuck.

for that to be accurate, it would have to be called "The Best Of 1990-2002"
(The Beginning of 1990 TO the Beginning of 2002)

THAT is why Beautiful Day shouldn't have been included. They cheated the dates by 2 years.

it is simple math, and the reason that we can take two dates, subtract them, and find the total duration (i.e. 2001-1993=8) rather than having a differential of +1 every time we subtract dates, as we would have to do if your logic were the norm.

Last edited:
Best of 1990 - 2000

1. The Fly
2. Discotheque (Single edit)
3. Zooropa (promo edit)
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Numb
7. Sweetest Thing (Single Mix)
8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
9. One
10. Staring At The Sun
11. Until The End Of The World
12. Gone
13. Mofo
14. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
15. Lemon (Single Edit)
16. Please (Sinle Version)
17. Miss Sarajevo (Single Version)

Bonus disc:

1. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
2. Zoo Station (Live In Dublin 1993)
3. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
5. Theme From Mission: Impossible
6. Pop Muzik/Mofo (Live MTV 1997)
7. Until The End Of The World (Live San Diego 1992)
8. Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
9. Your Blue Room
10. Golden Eye (Demo)
11. Night And Day
12. Please (Live on MTV)
13. Dirty Day (Live in Sydney 1993)
14. Love Is Blindness
15. One (Live in Modena 1995)
16. The First Time

Last edited:
my alternate best ofs

If i was U2 I wouldn't have released this forthcoming best of as i believe it as waste of time and money and completely undermines and undervalues the 2 that are out already. So instead of releasing the 2 best ofs in 1998 and 2002 which U2 did. I would've released 2 collections of b-sides and rarities in those years and THEN release a proper Best of album this year covering their entire career.

So here is my tracklistings for those albums I would've released

The B-Sides - Part One (released 1998)

1. The Three Sunrise
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Sweetest Thing (Original Version)
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Bass Trap
6. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete The Chop)
7. Dancing Barefoot
8. Everlasting Love
9. Unchained Melody
10. Touch
11. Walk To The Water
12. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
13. Hallelujah Here She Comes
14. Silver And Gold
15. Boy-Girl
16. Sweetest Thing (Single Mix)
17. Boomerang II
18. Endless Deep
19. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
20. Trash Trampoline And The Party Girl

(Notes - this is similar to the actual tracklisting of the b-sides disc with the first best of covering 1979-1990. with some additional tracks including the single of Sweetest Thing which would've been released to go with the album)

The B-Sides - Part Two (released 2002)

1. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
2. Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
3. Summer Rain
4. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
5. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
6. Satellite Of Love
7. Alex Descends Into Hell With A Bottle Of Milk
8. North And South Of The River
9. Your Blue Room
10. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
11. Salome (Zooromancer Mix)
12. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
13. Night And Day
14. Big Girls Are Best
15. Don't Take Your Guns To Town
16. Stateless
17. The Hands That Built America
18. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Acoustic Version)
19. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
20. Slow Dancing (Stay Version)

(Notes like Part One except this covers 1990-2002 including 2 new tracks the accompanying single Electrical Storm and Hands that Built America. And also there are less remixes on here)

The Best Of - Double CD (released 2006)

CD1

1. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
2. New Years Day
3. With Or Without You
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. Beautiful Day
6. One
7. Miss Sarajevo
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. The Saints Are Coming
10. Where The Streets Have No Name
11. I Will Follow
12. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
13. Staring At The Sun
14. Sweetest Thing
15. Desire
16. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
17. Angel Of Harlem
18. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

CD2

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. Mysterious Ways
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Electrical Storm
5. (New Song)
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Vertigo
8. Elevation
9. Until The End Of The World
10. All Because Of You
11. The Fly
12. Gloria
13. Discotheque
14. Hold Me Thrill Kiss Me Kill Me
15. Numb (New Mix)
16. Bad
17. Walk On
18. All I Want Is You

(Notes This also has similar trackistings to the 2 best of in which have encompassed both and updated it to include the Atomic Bomb singles. and also the 2 new songs).

I would love to know everyones thoughts on this

90-2000

1. Mofo
2. The Fly
3. Lemon
4. Discotheque
5. Stay
6. Dirty Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Gone
9. One
10. Until The End of The World