The Best Of 90- 2000: Which Non-Album Track Should Be Remixed As A Single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
In order to come to a conclusion, I will examine the choice of The Sweetest Thing for the Best Of 1980 - 90:

* 'Sweetest Thing' was a hint of what was to come on the next record (ATYCLB), which was, of course, pop soul music (done U2 style, of course). Therefore, the next remixed single should also be a hint of what is to come. Since the next album is said to have a punk energy, a punk-energy song would be ideal.

* 'Sweetest Thing' was a non album track, so the new one should also follow the same principle.

* Like 'Sweetest Thing', it should be a song that is too good not to be remixed as a new single.

* A song that was pretty much unknown by the mainstream.

* A very catchy song. In short, a song that would make a GREAT single.

Those are the main points that I can think of right now, anyway. After examining them, I think the very BEST song that U2 could possibly consider IS......

A CELEBRATION

It's pretty much totally unknown by the mainstream (much like 'Sweetest Thing'), and is WAY too good to remain unknown. It's catchy as anything out there, and it definitely is full of hope (dare I say joy?), and has a LOT of punk energy. This song has GREAT potential. The chorus is a kick in the ARSE!! -- "SHAKE!! SHAKE!!" Just imagine what the boys could do with this song, now? With all the harmonies and layers in this song, Edge and Bono would have a heyday with their new found ability to harmonize so beautifully. In some ways, it reminds me of a Beatles song, (especially the "And, and you can go there too..." segment). Since U2 are so into the Beatles these days, I think this song would be an ideal choice. This song was originally from the October era (and didn't appear on the album). It was released as a mini single with Party Girl. I wonder if one can still buy it?

Anyone have a decent mp3 of this song? It's soooo good!! Here are the lyrics. I wonder if in this day and age, Bono would have to change them at all? After reading them over, I really don't think so. In fact, they fit now more than ever! Really amazing when you think about it. I love the optimism found in this song. A real life-affirming tune...

A Celebration

Shake! Shake!

Don't go
I believe in a celebration
I believe you set me free
I believe you can loose these chains
I believe you can dance with me
Dance with me

Shake! Shake!
Shake! Shake!

I believe in the third world war
I believe in the atomic bomb
I believe in the powers that be
But they won't overpower me

And, and you can go there too
And, and you can go go go go

Shake! Shake!
Shake! Shake!

And we dance out of time
And everything goes 'round and 'round
And we don't have the time
To watch the world go tumbling down

Go! Go!

I believe in the bells of Christchurch
Ringing for this land
I believe in the cells of Mountjoy
There's an honest man

And, and you can go there too
And, and you can go go go go

I believe in the walls of Jericho
I believe they're coming down
I belive in this city's children
I believe the trumpet's sound

(And you...)
(Can go there too)
(And you...)
(can go go go go)

And you can go there too
And you can go go go go...

I believe in what I'm doing
What am I doing here...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-20-2001).]

I just thought of something: 'Sweetest Thing' was chosen also, I assume, because it was written during the 80s. That is one factor that goes against them remixing 'A Celebration', as they'll probablly be limited to something from the 90s. If this is the case, there are two songs from the 90s that make great cases for themselves.

The first song that springs to mind is 'Where Did It All Go Wrong' (maybe U2 should have asked themselves this question when they recorded it). It's a track that is bursting with potential, and I think U2 could have really taken it somewhere great. It also meets the afformentioned criteria of haviing a punk sensibility. There's a lot of energy to be harnessed. One line that sticks out from the original is "...Did you imitate a walk?..." Really cool line.

Another great song to use would be 'North and South of the River'. This song is exceptional. The Omagh tribute version is one of the most beautiful performances by U2, ever. Isn't it a shame that no one has heard it? Not only because it's a great song, but also because it's a message that the world needs right now. Originally written about the strife in Ireland, it is now applicable to the entire world, in very profound way. If the airwaves were filled with this song, I truly believe the world would be a better place in some way.

Comments, questions, cries of outrage all welcome...

------------------
The Tempest

I think the "remake" should come from the 1990-2000 era, since that's the time frame for the GH album. Salome, Lady w/ the Spinning Head, Where Did it All go Wrong, Holy Joe, and North and South of the River would be the candidates, I guess. Salome or WDIAGW would be my choices, but NASOTR is more in line with what they're doing now.

Having said all this if the song could be from ANY year, Spanish Eyes all the way!

I didn't choose 'Holy Joe', nor 'Salome' because I don't believe they've got enough of a hook to make a catchy single. 'Salome' has more of a hook than 'Holy Joe', but neither really does it for me as much as a good version of 'Where Did It All Go Wrong' would.

The reason I didn't pick 'Lady With The Spinning Head' is because it's way too much like 'The Fly' and 'Ultraviolet' in many places. U2 would never put out a song that is a total rehash of Achtung Baby. As someone once said of Bon Jovi, they thought 'It's My Life' was okay, but liked it much better when it was called 'Living On A Prayer'. I don't see U2 pulling the same stunt (at least I hope not!).

------------------
The Tempest

the entire POP album could use a decent remix
tongue.gif

I still think Babyface (though not a b-side) could make a rather good single

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 12-20-2001).]

I would think if they do that they would put something they recorded in the 90's. My pick would be Big Girls are best. It's got all the rock plus it's catchy as hell.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I wondered if they'll put a remixed non album songs for Best of 90 - 2000.

Like you said, it has to be something from the 90's.

But i have no idea what song to choose. AB B-sides, ATYCLB B-sides all sound perfect the way they are now IMO.

On the other hand, i was never a fan of Big girls are best or Holy Joe.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
In order to come to a conclusion, I will examine the choice of The Sweetest Thing for the Best Of 1980 - 90:

A CELEBRATION

It's pretty much totally unknown by the mainstream (much like 'Sweetest Thing'), and is WAY too good to remain unknown. It's catchy as anything out there, and it definitely is full of hope (dare I say joy?), and has a LOT of punk energy. This song has GREAT potential. The chorus is a kick in the ARSE!! -- "SHAKE!! SHAKE!!" Just imagine what the boys could do with this song, now? With all the harmonies and layers in this song, Edge and Bono would have a heyday with their new found ability to harmonize so beautifully. In some ways, it reminds me of a Beatles song, (especially the "And, and you can go there too..." segment). Since U2 are so into the Beatles these days, I think this song would be an ideal choice. This song was originally from the October era (and didn't appear on the album). It was released as a mini single with Party Girl. I wonder if one can still buy it?

Anyone have a decent mp3 of this song? It's soooo good!!

I'm downloading a decent MP3 of it off Kazaa right now. I downloaded the music video to it too. But it was of extremely poor quality.

I don't personally think any should. B-sides are b-sides and there have been some pretty good b-sides in the 90's but none that I can see U2 continuing on with. U2 are about originality, creativity and re-inventing themselves and their music. I really doubt they'd re-hash a tune from 8 years ago, let alone 20. Just my opinion.
That being said, I think the only reason they released 'Sweetest Thing' as a single prior to the Greatest Hits album, was because it had been awhile since U2 had been played on the airwaves and they probably wanted something new, without being new, to hit the radio and get play prior to the release of a new album.
That's just not the case right now. U2 aren't going to go into hiding for 4 years right now like they did then.
The Greatest Hits will be just that, greatest hits. We don't even know if it will include a second CD of b-sides. I think we all just want and expect too much.

------------------
"An Angel in Devil's shoes..."

The chorus is a kick in the ARSE!! -- "SHAKE!! SHAKE!!"
salomehair.gif

yeah, I love that song!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I ran across A Celebration not too long ago and I was blown away. It has so much raw energy and party spirit. I can't imagine hearing it live...I'd be dancing my heart away.
biggrin.gif

I think it'll be a while before we even see a U2 Best Of 90s or whatever, because they are currently riding high on their new album, so they would have no reason to put out a retrospective set. I think one of the reasons they put out the Best Of 1980-1990 is that it had been a while since they had released new material, and they knew it would be a while before the next album was finished. To hold people over, and not leave the collective of music fans, they had to make sure people remembered who they were. What better way to draw in new fans and hold on to old ones than to put out a greatest hits album?

Based on what we've heard, the new album is not far off, perhaps as near as next fall. They can get it done, and stay popular based only on that. However, after a few years, especially if they take a break after the next album, we may see them recording less and taking more time between new albums, so they might again have to recapture the public's minds with a Best Of for the 90s. A remixed b-side turned single would be another great idea, and I have no doubt that they could consider that.

------------------
Change is the only constant

First of all, the "punk energy" that Bono talks about isn't like any old punk music like they played in the early 80's. I remember reading something where Bono described "elevation" as a punk-like song. So I'm just saying that when Bono says "soul" album, you can't expect a full blown soul album. If Bono says "punk", I bet he just means the kick in the music.

(we all remember Pop being called a "techno/dance" album. And those that truly do listen to the music, it really isn't - as a matter of fact Pop is in my opinion one of the most straight forward rock albums of their's.)

Remember that Bono and the boys are in their forties and it is a little late to be making punk music such as "a celebration".

I'd like to see "lady with the spinning head" as a single. It could be fun and it would fill that whole "joy" thing that U2 is all about at the moment.

~z~

"Where Did It All Go Wrong" would be the best choice. Of course, it would have to have a cool video and a ton of publicity, but I think it could be a hit.

It looks like 'North and South of the River' has garnered a few votes as well. I don't want to shoot your suggestion down, but I prefer the Omagh tribute version by itself. Remixing the song would make that version even more rare. I say put the Omagh Tribute version on the 'Best of B-Sides' and go with WDIAGW on the 'Best of' side.

--Big Girls are Best would never get radio play, forget it.

--Salome would do well in a dance club...but that's all, forget it.

--Holy Joe? For-get-it

Danospano,

I like your suggestion -- a LOT. 'North and South' (The Omagh version) should also be played on the radio, (along with WDIAGW). That would be amazing!

------------------
The Tempest

I agree with Foxxern. U2 are popular as hell, they need no second best-of right now. They new record is on its way and that?s the major deal of work right now...

Though I?d love to hear a remixed version of "Where did it all go wrong" or why don?t work one song of the Axtung beibi sessions to an end? Maybe "Heaven and hell"?

------------------
beLIEve

I also disagree with your statement that U2 went into hiding for 4 years (when they released the Best Of). Pop was released in 1997, and the Popmart tour finished in '98, I believe. The Best Of album came out that same year, in 1998. U2 had been away for only a few months.

My bad. I thought the Best Of... was released prior to 'Pop'.

Originally posted by Angel:
I don't personally think any should. B-sides are b-sides and there have been some pretty good b-sides in the 90's but none that I can see U2 continuing on with. U2 are about originality, creativity and re-inventing themselves and their music. I really doubt they'd re-hash a tune from 8 years ago, let alone 20. Just my opinion.
That being said, I think the only reason they released 'Sweetest Thing' as a single prior to the Greatest Hits album, was because it had been awhile since U2 had been played on the airwaves and they probably wanted something new, without being new, to hit the radio and get play prior to the release of a new album.
That's just not the case right now. U2 aren't going to go into hiding for 4 years right now like they did then.
The Greatest Hits will be just that, greatest hits. We don't even know if it will include a second CD of b-sides. I think we all just want and expect too much.

Angel,

I agree that U2 are about originality, which is why I said they would never rehash Achtung Baby by remixing a song like 'Lady With The Spinning Head', which sounds like a mix of 'The Fly' and 'Ultraviolet'. However, the reason U2 released 'The Sweetest Thing' was, as you just described, because the public needed something new without being a new song. In short, U2 needed a single to promote the Best Of album.

If U2 were to release another Best Of, they would surely need another single to promote it. One would think that it would have to be a song that hasn't been released as a single before, right? That's why I suspect to see it happen again.

I also disagree with your statement that U2 went into hiding for 4 years (when they released the Best Of). Pop was released in 1997, and the Popmart tour finished in '98, I believe. The Best Of album came out that same year, in 1998. U2 had been away for only a few months. To be honest, I think U2 released it, among other reasons, because they were in the studio at the time, and were really inspired by discovering themselves as a 4 piece band again. It also just happened to be Christmas at the time (funnily enough
wink.gif
)

------------------
The Tempest

I am listening to "Lady With The Spinning Head" extended dance remix right now and I must say......

This song rocks, and with the right remix, could do very well promoting the "Best of 1990-2000".....

And for the video, Bono could break out the fly shades one last time.....

That would rock the world!

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever!

I dont think there is any rule that says U2 must re-do an old B side for the next "Best Of" album just because they did for the first one. I think they will either re-do a song or possibly re-do and/or release a song from that era that never made an album or a b side. I would prefer that actually.

But if they stick to re-doing a song they have already done. My vote would be to either re-do "The Wanderer" with Bono on vocals adding some guitar work OR releasing the version of the song with Bono on vocals that was recorded for Zooropa but never released. I think it would be my favorite on that album if it was Bono on vocals.

Back
Top Bottom