The best live performance of ISHWILF...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theedge070

War Child
...has to be from the RRHOF Induction w/ Bruce. It's not because of Bruce; you could throw him out of the equation and leave all the singing to Bono and it'd still be my favorite performance of the song. It's Bono's voice.

Bono sounds amazing in this, I'm not sure why. I think he's in his pre-tour mood, when his voice is half-warmed up and ready for action over the long months that wait, and I don't think it could sound better. I think Bruce only brings it DOWN when he's introduced. Bono sounds awesome (to me) and then Bruce comes in and everything is instantly brought down a notch. The worst part is, Bono lets him sing the majority of the song!

Bruce didn't do a bad job, but I'd rather hear Bono.

For some reason...I really strongly think that the Popmart Mexico City version of it..is amazing, I like the speech ..that may be it, but I think thats the best.

loverippedaway said:
For some reason...I really strongly think that the Popmart Mexico City version of it..is amazing, I like the speech ..that may be it, but I think thats the best.

Yeah, I though the Popmart versions were the best. There were some great ones where Bono had them turn off all the stadium lights and then would sing in the starlight. His speeches at the beginning always made it a moving performance.

for me that song is one of the few thats never been really close to being as great as the album version

The second performance during the Sept. 28, 1987 New York show with the New Voices of Freedom. Even if Bono did screw up.

u2granny said:
The second performance during the Sept. 28, 1987 New York show with the New Voices of Freedom. Even if Bono did screw up.

love that one as well, really amazing. Always like hearing it on the bootleg and not the R&H version for some reason.

There's one from Oakland in 1987, where Edge's guitar craps out, and it's just Bono, Larry, & Adam for a verse and a chorus. Bono turns it up a notch to make up for Edge.

That version is pretty sweet. Very endearing.

Theedge070 said:
...has to be from the RRHOF Induction w/ Bruce. It's not because of Bruce; you could throw him out of the equation and leave all the singing to Bono and it'd still be my favorite performance of the song. It's Bono's voice.

Bono sounds amazing in this, I'm not sure why. I think he's in his pre-tour mood, when his voice is half-warmed up and ready for action over the long months that wait, and I don't think it could sound better. I think Bruce only brings it DOWN when he's introduced. Bono sounds awesome (to me) and then Bruce comes in and everything is instantly brought down a notch. The worst part is, Bono lets him sing the majority of the song!

Bruce didn't do a bad job, but I'd rather hear Bono.

You know something, I saw the title of this thread and the first thing that popped into my mind was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. However, for some reason I thought you were going to mention something else, like a concert or other performance.

It's a badass version, and definitely my favorite. That's pretty cool that you also think that the RARHOF was best performance of that song. :)

It sure as hell is. :up:

MrBrau1 said:
There's one from Oakland in 1987, where Edge's guitar craps out, and it's just Bono, Larry, & Adam for a verse and a chorus. Bono turns it up a notch to make up for Edge.

Forgot about that one. Now I'm not sure.:|

MrBrau1 said:

The same thing happened on the JT tour in Boston on Sept 18th, '87. So it was Bono, Larry, and Adam for a verse, like you said. Then Edge came back in and Bono extended the song, replaying the first verse over again, but it was acapella. Very well done.

Without a doubt, the semi-acoustic version from Rotterdam, July 11th 1993. With added lyrics. Absolutely beautiful performance.

Back
Top Bottom