The best bad ever - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2001, 10:55 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:07 PM
The best bad ever

Of course you guys know already, LIVE AID. I have put it on non-stop, what a great performance. For the older fans, how did you feel when you heard/watched live aid?

Anyways, I just love the ending...it seems to go on forever...DO Do Do Do Do...

"Molly came from Miami LFA...hitchhiked all across the USA, she could feel the satellite coming down pretty soon she was in LONDONTOWN, wembley stadium and all the people went do do do do do do.."

Has U2 ever played this kind of version anywhere else? This just blows me away...it's in my blood

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Old 10-09-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:07 PM
I have always loved the Rattle and Hum version because he sounds so passionate.....almost angry.

Old 10-09-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621:
Were you a U2 fan at that point? Or did this performance hit you and you became a fan?
Although the question was directed to doctorwho, I feel this compulsion to answer to it myself.
I have told this story here more than once, so forgive me if you already have read it, I can't help repeting myself. Something really happened in my life the night I saw U2 performance in the Live Aid concert. I was 24 (yes, I am what you call and old fan, LOL), I was in the last year of college and living alone, away from my family. Live Aid was aired here in my country a few days later than July 13th 1985. I was hoping to see another artist like Led Zepellin and David Bowie. I had never heard about U2 before, their first album released in Brazil was The Unforgettable Fire. I wasn't paying much attention to the show, but when I saw U2, especially Bono singing with such passion and rendition I got hooked immediately. And forever. The day after I ran to the record stores and bought UF, to have that song, Bad, became an absolute need. Nowadays I can't even remember my life without U2 songs anymore.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:14 AM   #4
The Fly

The ending is a paraphrased quote from Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" - and the beginning is from Reed's "Satellite of Love" - they used to do this somewhat often at the end of Bad - esp. on the Unforgettable Fire tour
Old 10-10-2001, 03:20 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I'm not sure if the Live Aid version of "Bad" is my all-time favorite, but I do enjoy it.

I turned 21 the weekend of Live Aid - and very much remember this event. My friend, who also turned 21 at that time, and I watched this show on MTV between going out for Long Island Iced Teas.

U2's performance was outstanding, as was Led Zeppelin's. I remember U2 really going on for some time with "Bad" which surprised me. Little did I know that Bono's simple act of dancing with a girl at that show would propel U2 into superstardom.

Ahhh...memories....

Baker, were you even alive when Live Aid was played?
Old 10-10-2001, 03:26 AM   #6

Local Time: 11:07 AM
You guys are killin' me, you know this, right? I have NEVER seen Live Aid! In 1985 I was between semesters at art college, spending the summer in Toronto and renting a little attic room without such amenities as cable TV...I saw a tiny bit of Phil Collins while sitting in a bar on Yonge Street. That's it. (I've been trying to get the VHS on eBay...oowee, it ain't cheap.) The first live Bad I saw was R&H on the big screen (that's theatre, not flat-screen television for you youngsters), and that's when it fused with my DNA along with JT two years prior.
So can someone tell me then... what was going on with Bono in that R&H performance? It wasn't the same day as Eniskillen, far as I can tell, but was he troubled that night?? His hugging Adam at the end gets me every time.
And if anyone's interested in some serious trading, please email me. <dabcd@mdi.ca>

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***
Old 10-10-2001, 03:56 AM   #7
War Child

DocterWho, those are some awesome memories. And to answer your question, I wasn't alive yet If it's true Live Aid was in August, then I came around a couple of months later!

Were you a U2 fan at that point? Or did this performance hit you and you became a fan?

Thanks for sharing/info guys!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".
Old 10-10-2001, 03:58 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 PM
The New Years Eve 89 performance of Bad is really good as well, powerful and passionate. Also there is a Jan 9th 1990 performance I believe, that I have that is also really really powerful. Bono sounds like he's tearing up his vocal chords.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

[This message has been edited by david (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 10:13 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621:
Of course you guys know already, LIVE AID. I have put it on non-stop, what a great performance. For the older fans, how did you feel when you heard/watched live aid?

Anyways, I just love the ending...it seems to go on forever...DO Do Do Do Do...

"Molly came from Miami LFA...hitchhiked all across the USA, she could feel the satellite coming down pretty soon she was in LONDONTOWN, wembley stadium and all the people went do do do do do do.."

Has U2 ever played this kind of version anywhere else? This just blows me away...it's in my blood

Do you have the recording on US VHS or European VHS? MTV version or BBC version?

Let me know as I would like to trade some U2 boots for a copy.

Thanks

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\
http://eliv8.fws1.com/

[This message has been edited by Eliv8 (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 10:17 AM   #10
The Fly

The best bad ever is the one on Rock Hottes't tickets ...29 April 1987...12 minutes and Edge is playing a melody I have never listened again...
Old 02-13-2002, 04:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Bad threads always deserve a *boostier*.

My Bad question du jour is this...sometimes I feel my life will never be complete without a copy of the Live Aid performance on video in my possession. Will someone please help to fill this gaping hole in my existence?
Old 02-13-2002, 04:41 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I fully agree joyful. I would love a videotape as well.

I remember watching the shows on TV and thinking how cool U2 were, and how cool Phil Collins was because I think he played at both shows.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:08 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

*sigh*

...sat there in front of the TV and didn't tape it...it's way up there on the All Time Biggest Mistakes of My Life list. (Ok, so I'm bored at work and need to be dramatic.)
Old 02-13-2002, 05:33 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Has any of the Live Aid performances ever been televised since the event?

I always wanted to see U2's performance.
The closet I have come is just seeing snippits here and there.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Like you, I've only seen snippets since the actual event. Maybe we should get a petition to MTV going in time for the next anniversary.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:44 PM   #16
War Child

I bought a Live Aid video off of E-bay a few years ago (my first online auction purchase), for 16 or 17 bucks. I got it *exclusively* to see Bad. Well, I got several hours of footage, but no Bad. So I still have never seen this performance. The tape has a lot of other cool stuff, including Sunday Bloody Sunday, but all I want is Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 05:53 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
Well, I got several hours of footage, but no Bad.
criminal, I say, criminal!!

Old 02-13-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
War Child

I have it on tape! I bought a tape on ebay for like 15 bucks w/ all these outtakes and old performances, especially in the old house in Dublin (forget name) but I got it mainly for LIVE AID! It includes SBS and of course Bad. Bad is simply amazing, the quality is actually pretty GOOD compared to what people have said and Bono is in the best form ever. I love it...

------------------

Old 02-13-2002, 07:50 PM   #19
The Fly

The best version that I've heard is off a bootleg from Dublin, circa 1985, I think. The one that I have is called "My Hometown", because they do a cover of Springsteen's My Hometown.

Anyways, the version of Bad is about 12 and a half minutes long. Bono starts the song by saying that Dublin city is not always a fair city (unemployment, poverty, etc). At the end, they add in snippets from Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy For The Devil and Walk On The Wild Side. After those snippets, Bono starts talking about being from Ireland and starts naming different cities like Finglis (?) and Ballymun (?). You'll have to excuse my ignorance of Irish cities and/or counties, or whatever they're called over there. Edge then does a great solo, and then the song ends. Beautiful!

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)
Old 02-13-2002, 11:02 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Man Ray:
The best bad ever is the one on Rock Hottes't tickets ...29 April 1987...12 minutes and Edge is playing a melody I have never listened again...
Agreed. I have that boot and listen to it a ton. 12 minutes of pure bliss. What an awesome version of Bad.

I do not have the live Aid show and have never seen that.....time to go shopping on Ebay or trading if anyone is interested.