The beauty (and difficulty) of listening to Pop...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I've finally figured out why Pop received such mixed reviews.

No, this has nothing to do with "unfinished songs" or the album's title, or even with the fact that Discotheque may have been a misleading lead-off single.

The reason, I've decided, is that Pop takes the listener on such an emotional roller coaster that by the time you're done with Wake Up Dead Man you feel completely drained. Those who aren't ready for this type of experience are going to be left with a bad taste in their mouth.

Bono once said that Pop was a very surprising record to many listeners because "it starts out as a party record and then turns mean on you. The song where that change takes place is Gone." I'm not even sure that it can be put that simply.

Truly, Discotheque, DYFL, and Mofo, could almost be the soundtrack for any nightclub. Throw in IGWSHA and you've even got the perfect ballad to slow dance to. Staring At The Sun is a deep, introspective song, with almost a miniature plea for peace built into its heavy acoustic feel. A soul-searcher to say the least. LNOE and Gone are the two rocking songs, placed back to back in great fashion. This one-two punch starts out as something you want to pick up a guitar and jam with, but the lyrics get deeper and deeper with each song, and the anger builds. Ultimately, you're more interested in listening to the message than just jamming. Suddenly, Miami breaks through - a throwaway to say the least - but a song that makes you wonder if you should be laughing. Playboy Mansion - another throwaway - finally gives you that excuse to laugh, and is a lighthearted breather that is well needed. Suddenly, the riff fades into a synthesizer and dark, probing guitar that is IYWTVD. This is the dark, passionate tune, one Bono referred to once as being "haunted", and for the first time on the album truly makes the listener think about love and romance. Just when you're getting used to these emotions, Please bursts in - nothing less than the biggest, loudest, most desperate cry for peace on the album, and is quite possibly the darkest song to this point. The finale - Wake Up Dead Man - almost leaves the listener feeling dead as well. Another desperate cry for something that almost seems hopeless, leaving the listener feeling very alone.

Yup, just writing this has taken me through the emotional whirlwind that is Pop. It's a very difficult album to appreciate and enjoy because on first listen it throws you for so many loops. It doesn't have that overall "feel" to it like you get from the joyful soul of ATYCLB. Pop drags you and your emotions through light heartedness, humor, soul-searching, sorrow, despair, anger, passion, joy, love, and hate.

Ain't it great?

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 10-31-2001).]

I love POP.

I use to hate it. But it totally grew on me and its one of my favorite U2 albums now.

HG81936.jpg

3327786%3B23232%7Ffp35%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232327942893%3Bot1lsi

POP Rocks. poprocks rock too.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Pop drags you and your emotions through light heartedness, humor, soul-searching, sorrow, despair, anger, passion, joy, love, and hate.

Nicelly put Zoo, totally agree. It?s not an easy-to-listen-to album, no doubt, perhaps it?s like those art movies, the ones you shouldn?t see if all you need is relax and lighten up. I love it. I have been listening to Pop in my car the whole week...songs like Gone and Please are gems, as well as Mofo and Wake Up Dead Man. Nice post.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 10-31-2001).]

Great post, Zoocoustic! I really love Pop, and I've had a hard time understanding why some people really hate it, but now I think I can see why. It's not an album that has an underlying theme throughout- it takes you all over the place. Good thoughts.

I'm quite certain that 10 years from now this will still be one of my top 15 favourite U2-albums

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Wake Up Dead Man is startling, thought I'd just plug my favourite song from that record, I do find it a very uneven and bumpy album...like ATYCLB its very much an album of songs not themes and its why you can just pick it up and skip to whichever track you fancy, there is a mood for every track

out of interest why do people find Playboy Mansion, or IYWTVD so unappealing? not necessarily this thread I'm highlighting but they get picked on an awful lot when we discuss Pop

I LOVE POP! Ok I admit when I first listened to it I didn't really like it either. Now it's one of my favorites. I've been listening to it driving in my car for like the past 2 months lol.

btw, MOFO sounds great on car speakers turned all the way up!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

I've finally figured out why Pop received such mixed reviews.

No, this has nothing to do with "unfinished songs" or the album's title, or even with the fact that Discotheque may have been a misleading lead-off single.

No, it was that stupid Discotheque video. The Village People? Come on.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by PopFly:
No, it was that stupid Discotheque video. The Village People? Come on.

Bingo.
That video set the tone for the CD buying public to view the entire album as a farce.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Zoocoustic, I think you are right. The subject matter on POP is not pleasing, and there are no answers offered to the many dark and unsettling questions posed. It takes the things we hold dear, even love, and holds them up to criticism. It is an attack on modern society but it admits the individual is lost, too.

I've always liked this about POP, though, because, even though there is this turmoil throughout, it is bringing to light problems that we forget about in our everyday lives and challenging us to move forward in our lives. It seems bad now, but if we acknowledge what's wrong we can start to make it right.

Not sure myself Acrobat...
as I said in another thread Velvet Dress is simply stunning.
However I didnt like it at all when I first heard PoP. Its a real grower of a song that can suddenly just one day make a hell of a lotta sense.
Playboy Mansion I prefer to Wild Honey and Grace.Its got a rela groove happening, that song.

I adore PoP.
Always have.
Always will.

what have we got to lose

GREAT review, Zoocoustic. You nailed it. It is indeed a musical roller-coaster. The songs don't even sound like they should all belong on the same CD, they are so varied (except the first 3 perhaps). So many different sounds, rhythms and textures. The only part I still am not comfortable with is the segue between Mofo and IGWSHA...to go from the aural battery of Mofo to the gentle intro of IGWSHA...they just seem so diametrically opposed to each other...I still have a hard time getting around that. However, I can't imagine the album without any one of the songs that are on it.

As my nick suggests, Pop is now my all time favorite U2 album!
smile.gif

Disco

I really like POP- however, for me it has a lot of extremeties about it- it has some of my fave ever U2 songs on it (gone, mofo, do you feel loved and igwsha) and then at the same time some that I absolutely loathe, like Miami and Discoteqhue (can never remember how to spell that damn word) anyway despite those songs I still think it is a great album
smile.gif

I agree on Velvet Dress, and *hush, hush* i gotta say i think pop is a better album than atyclb...it may not be as finished...but its challenging and daring, and deeeeeeeeep. Not an easy album to listen to but a rewarding one.

POP kicks ass and if you don't agree you should have another listen, cause you have no idea what you're missing. Forget that it's by U2 for a minute, and just focus on what's going on. It's kinda hard to explain, but it'll move you in an innumerable amount of ways. Really a stunning album. If it had been released by some new, unknown act, it would've been as revolutionary as Nevermind or Sgt. Peppers.

icon34.gif
icon34.gif
icon34.gif
icon34.gif
icon34.gif
icon34.gif
icon34.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

[This message has been edited by Foxxern (edited 10-31-2001).]

omg i just lost everything i typed. lets see if i can remember what i had to say.

it's interesting this thread got started because i've been thinking alot about pop recently. i put it into my stereo the other day, to replace atyclb cuz it didn't really fit with the rest of the cds in it...

i got pop when it came out, although i never considered myself a u2 fan until last year. i listened to it A LOT when i got it. then i had some really bad memories associated with it, and just could NOT listen to it at all (couldn't listen to "one" either...) so there it sat on my cd rack until this past june when i broke it out and gave it a listen (it was actually the first cd i played in my new car lol)

well listening to it again, i remembered how much i really enjoyed that cd. but it tears my mind apart.

i love, absolutely adore, tracks 1-7. but then i get to miami and i can tolerate it until the end part. the playboy mansion i think is one of the worst songs i have ever heard by any band (and i like alot of what people consider to be bad music lol)..i don't know what it is about it, i just can not stand that song. and i just can't get into the 2nd half of the cd.

recently, and i mean the last few days, i decided to try to give the 2nd half of the cd it's 13542th chance to impress me and make me change my mind about it. it didn't really work, again. i did find a new appreciation for velvet dress,...but i just cannot listen to the rest of the cd. so i listen to the end of gone (which is my fav track, along with do you feel loved) and fast forward the rest.

i swear, do you feel loved makes me go absolutely insane. it interferes with my brain functioning haha. if you did an EEG on my head my brain waves would be all over the place.
smile.gif

so yup that's what i think. if any of that had a point, i hope you found it haha
tongue.gif

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

Zoocoustic, I liked your post, but I think that one of the reasons POP didn't do well was because most listeners DIDN'T have the reaction you described so beautifully, didn't feel the emotion and confusion behind the songs and didn't go through the emotional rollercoaster (which may be a draining, kinda negative experience, but it still represents some kind of emotional attachment, which is something that many people just didn't feel for this album).

Some articles referred to POP as so-ironic-they-forgot-to-write-the-songs record... there ARE songs dammit! Just listen to "Gone"!

I used to dislike "Velvet Dress", but one day it just clicked and now it's a totally seductive experience. "Miami" is still one of the ugliest songs ever written by anyone, though.

i hated the discoteqchueechhehceh video. the only video i really liked was the first version of staring at the sun, with the fire and stuff.

was there a video for please? i kind of remember a lot of videos made for pop, but mtv like never ever played them again.

what the hell ever happened to all the videos made for that album.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I LOVE Pop!!! I certainly don't understand why they don't like this album. Maybe that's the matter of taste...

It grown on me fast. Very fast. I fell in love with most of the songs in Pop after the first listen.

Discotheque did't bother me at all.(I admit that I don't like the video though) It sounds... well... new to me. I like the way it fades in. If God Would Send His Angel is my favourite in Pop. I've got no problem with Miami and Playboy Mansion, the two songs which most of the people don't like. Although Last night on Earth have faded after too many listens, Pop is still my favourite album.

icon14.gif
icon34.gif
icon14.gif
icon34.gif
icon14.gif
icon34.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, POP kicks a lot of ass!
It is surely some of U2's finest work; I cannot get sick of listening to it.
It just gets my blood pumping!

I love discoteque, it's such a great song and behind the apparently light-hearted lyrics there is a deeper meaning, believe me. same with mofo; "Looking for something to fill that God-shaped hole".

The whole album is emotional, deep, and just plain alive!

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

Pop- rocks!

Popmart- Agh! Now, the first U2 show I ever saw was on the Popmart tour. It was cool. But then someone started posted Popmart pictures somewhere in PLEBA this week and I forgot how totally cheezy that tour was and how obnoxious those outfits were. Bono with short hair? Adam with the gas mask thing on? Edge in....I don't even know how to describe Edge's getup! And while the 40 ft. mirrored lemon was cool, I'm glad its gone. So thanks to whoever is enjoying that thing now that its stored in their backyard.

I think my problem is not that Popmart was bad but that Elevation is SOOOO much better.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I loved the "Discotheque" video, actually.

BTW, excellent review, Zoocoustic!!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

David,

Videos from Pop included:

Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Please
If God Will Send His Angels

The videos for Discotheque and SATS were the only that got any playtime in the US. The other three, well, it's safe to say that if you saw any of these played on TV, you were one of the lucky ones.

okay, the next one who makes it sound like 'an official statement' that the only possible reason one doesn't like POP is because "it's so heavy and deep" will suffer

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

This just in:

Zoocoustic has officially stated that the only possible reason a person could not like Pop is because it's so heavy and deep.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled interference broadcast...

This just in:

Zoocoustic has officially stated that the only possible reason a person could not like Pop is because it's so heavy and deep.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled interference broadcast...

*seconds that motion*
biggrin.gif

Pop is better than ATYCLB because I have to make an effort with it, and almost five years on I am still beginning to find new things in that record. It is also, in my opinion, Edge's most innovative record and the most creative by the band as a whole. I also think the packaging is superb (the cover is excellent) and the production is good also.

I'm pissed off that because it "only" sold 6 or 7 million, U2 had to go back to making something so blatantly commerical and safe (although it is still good) as ATCYLB, just to prove to the critics and themselves that they are not washed up, even though the record that was supposed to wash them up (Pop) is one of their most fully realised records.

And Discotheque is only behind Lemon and Mysterious Ways as best U2 video.

recently rediscovered Pop and cannot seem to gret enough of it, esp IGWSHA and Gone - which is for me the standout song of the album - so much of Bono there I think. I was thinking of changing my name to UP WITH THE SUN - but then maybe not! I suppose it is a little patchy, but still love it.

Pamela

--------------------------

" soul mate of my dreans "

Back
Top Bottom