"The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" available in Ireland on February 22-29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:

First, someone really needs to invent the technology to allow Bono to read lyrics directly from the inside surface of his shades. It's actually becoming cringeworthy for me to watch him bent halfway over, pretending that he's not reading the lyrics from the sheet at his feet.

Secondly, at just after four minutes in, Bono and Sinead are singing about the statue of Ronnie Drew, holding the hand of a girl with her hair in a black velvet band. It looks like Bono is reaching his hand toward Sinead as if to take hers, which would've gone great with the lyrics. But it looks like she doesn't take his hand (even though she's looking at him), and so he pulls his arm back awkwardly.

Oh come on now, give Bono a break this is probably a one and only performace of this song. He wrote, recorded it and probably hasn't thought much about it since... Song writers forget their own lyrics all the time... I actually thought Bono did pretty good for a song he won't ever sing again...

As far as the hand reaching thing, I think it's a little deceiving. Watch it again, the aeriel view(right at the end of that lyric) gives a different perspective...

This was a great performance, but Bono was the only one who actually moved on stage and showed some enthusiasm, all he others were a bit static, but it was very nice anyway. As for the "reading the lyrics" thing ... first I didn't even realize he was doing it, because it looked as if he had his eyes closed, but I don't really mind, it's not something I would have obviously noticed. We're only making fun of it because we know Bono's weakness at memorizing his lyrics. I just think he doesn't take the time, and he may never sing this song again. So what.

Well I think, Sinead and Bono have a thing going on, it's clear from the strange way she looks at him, they're not exactly great friends nowadays. But I wouldn't say that she refused to give him her hand, actually, from the angle it was filmed you cannot really say if he reached out to her or not. But I agree, it WOULD have been a nice gesture with these lyrics.

Overall, very nice tribute. And I like Bono's glasses.

Nice performence, Bono voice voice sounded good. But I think he smoke a bit before the show or he smoke more these days, specilally in the beginning of the song when he sings "son", yoy can realy hear the smoke sound. The same with the studio version on WOS. Hope he hasnt has start to smoke more again.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Oh come on now, give Bono a break this is probably a one and only performace of this song. He wrote, recorded it and probably hasn't thought much about it since... Song writers forget their own lyrics all the time... I actually thought Bono did pretty good for a song he won't ever sing again...
I think my comment came across harsher than I meant it to. I was mainly just poking fun at him, as I do (with love, I assure you.) Perhaps a smilie on the end of it would've helped.

Peter, I think it might just be over-use, now that they are back recording. I don't think he's smoking when they are recording. But it could be anything: Partying, drinking, having a cold, not enough sleep, not being rested, too much talking ... who knows, Bono has a sensitive voice that's easily affected by different things.

We have had a discussion here when the song first surfaced that it was actually too high for B to sing ... it's his typical way of singing when the notes are too high for him. I wish he'd just sing it differently, just a bit deeper. When it's too high he cannot really show his strong voice, it's difficult for him.

But it was good anyway. Last time his voice really sounded strained and weak was at Cannes, there he really seemed to have problems.

last unicorn said:
Peter, I think it might just be over-use, now that they are back recording. I don't think he's smoking when they are recording. But it could be anything: Partying, drinking, having a cold, not enough sleep, not being rested, too much talking ... who knows, Bono has a sensitive voice that's easily affected by different things.

One time performences isnt his strongest part, I usaly have in mind when he performes on thins like this. But the only thing that made me think this was that he sounded a bit smokey also on WOS(studio version)... But well you all know me, Im worrying to much because it is about his voice... :)

last unicorn said:
first I didn't even realize he was doing it

Me neither, I was more into watching everyone sing. Nice tribute, and it looked like Bono was trying to reach Sinead's hand.

My thoughts were

1) Shane McGowan is still alive ? and

2) Who are the singers singing the versess besides Bono and McGowan ?

U2girl said:

2) Who are the singers singing the versess besides Bono and McGowan ?

Isnt one of the guys from The Grateful Dead? Not totally sure to be honest!
Nice little song and a good vocal from Bono :up: Larry looked to be really enjoying himself!

:shh: Egde might be working on this already.

And as long as Bono has lyrics somewhere at his feet, he must at least move a bit on stage, that keeps him in shape.

U2girl said:

Who are the singers singing the versess besides Bono and McGowan ?

It's some of The Dubliners, some other Irish singers (McGowan and one of the Corrs and couple others) that together call themselves The Band of Bowsies and an Irish group called Kila. And yeah, one of the guys from The Grateful Dead co-wrote the song.

Are they not releasing it worldwide because they think nobody else appreciates Irish music? I'd rather do things the legal way but... just in case...
maymaygreen@netscape.net

Song is okay but chorus is repetitive as heck! Maybe that's not the point if it's just a tribute to somebody.

Aside from Bono and Sinead we have Shane McGowan of the Pogues, Liam O'Maonlai from The Hothouse Flowers on the late late show version (great singer), Christy Moore on the studio version and Damian Dempsey (pretty good irish singer-songwriter).

I like it - it's simple, catchy, totally unpretentious. Very suited to the man himself.... And the verse about the statue is gorgeous...

please, i seach the lyrics of this song
do you know whère i can find them?
thank you very much

Last edited:
I liked that performance a lot! I thought it was great! Bono didn't really seemed to be reading the lyrics, it looked and sounded like he knew them. He was just doing his usual Fly moves as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing I didn't liked was Bono doing the heys during the chorus, one person only doing it sounds bad. He should have gone over to Adam and let him help him with that. Yeah, and what's up with Sinead giving the "crazy man onstage!" looks? She's hot anyway. Adam and Larry looked great!

JOY!

Bono always speaks of how hard it is to attain joy in a song!

Well they sure did it here...

Watch the live version from Late late show and wow...

I found this very moving...

Back
Top Bottom