"The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" available in Ireland on February 22-29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez, you two are so demanding.

The track will be available in Ireland only as a download on Friday, February 22 and a week later on CD.

I'm sure once the download hits tomorrow every blog will have a link available. Just go to Google's blog search and I bet you'll find it.

thanks for the video link, very very exciting to see u2 in a studio :drool:

took me a while to get into the song- i agree with the comments about the start being too high for bono but by the end i was into it.

The song is corny as hell, but hey it's for a friend and a good cause. :lol:

Apparantly, U2 (and others) will be performing this song on RTE's Late Late show tonight.

last unicorn said:
The song is corny as hell, but hey it's for a friend and a good cause. :lol:

Apparantly, U2 (and others) will be performing this song on RTE's Late Late show tonight.

Thank you!!! :)

Ronnie Drew tribute on tonight's Late Late

The biggest stars in Irish music will appear on 'The Late Late Show' tonight in a special tribute to legendary singer Ronnie Drew.

U2, Andrea Corr, The Dubliners, Sinéad O'Connor and Kíla are among the acts confirmed to perform the specially composed 'Ballad of Ronnie Drew', which is released as a digital download today and as a CD single on 29 February.

All profits from the release of the single will go to the Irish Cancer Society at the request of Ronnie Drew.

Tonight's performance is the first time that the song, written by Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead) with Bono, The Edge and Simon Carmody, has been aired on Irish television.

Commenting on tonight's show, host Pat Kenny said: "This will be an unmissable one-off performance of a very special song by some of our most talented and most famous musicians. It's another first for 'The Late Late Show'."

Of the song, Bono said: "The idea was that we would all try to write a song for Ronnie to sing, but then it changed to writing a song about Ronnie himself. Ronnie is like the King of Ireland, and we are his subjects. This is a big fight for him. But like any fighter, it's easier if there's a crowd cheering."

'The Late Late Show' begins on RTÉ One tonight at 9.30pm.

------------
U2Miracle.com

its on U2.com

can anyone get a still of Edge smiling in the video omgg :drool: :drool:

its 1:03

This is for you!!

vlcsnap8009479tg3.png

God bless The Edge...

Que grande eres cojones!! :bow:

It's a great sounding Irish ballad. It reminded me of my Irish blood, knowing most all of those performers are of Irish blood too. I've never searched deep into Irish folk songs but that was definitely fun and heartwarming- all there seemed so proud of their heritage, and made me too. :)

And it's sad when some are so one-dimensional that the only thing that matters is ThE nu ALBum!!!!

Okay, two things regarding the performance on the Late Show:

First, someone really needs to invent the technology to allow Bono to read lyrics directly from the inside surface of his shades. It's actually becoming cringeworthy for me to watch him bent halfway over, pretending that he's not reading the lyrics from the sheet at his feet.

Secondly, at just after four minutes in, Bono and Sinead are singing about the statue of Ronnie Drew, holding the hand of a girl with her hair in a black velvet band. It looks like Bono is reaching his hand toward Sinead as if to take hers, which would've gone great with the lyrics. But it looks like she doesn't take his hand (even though she's looking at him), and so he pulls his arm back awkwardly.

Other than all of that, it was a cool performance :up:

Back
Top Bottom