The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok we can tell the guitar playing and overall mood of ABOY is awesome. We know that song will be good.

We know the overall tune of Blinding Lights, the lyrics, what Bono's voice sounds like, etc etc... We know these songs will be good. We definitelt know enough about these songs to like them alot.

I wouldn't say Blinding Lights is their best song ever though. Maybe the studio version, but I highly doubt it will beat Streets or Bad. The subject of the lyrics is just too narrow to interpret like Streets or Bad. It reminds me of something more along the lines of Kite, and that's still a VERY good thing!!!

shart1780 said:
Ok we can tell the guitar playing and overall mood of ABOY is awesome. We know that song will be good.

We know the overall tune of Blinding Lights, the lyrics, what Bono's voice sounds like, etc etc... We know these songs will be good. We definitelt know enough about these songs to like them alot.

I wouldn't say Blinding Lights is their best song ever though. Maybe the studio version, but I highly doubt it will beat Streets or Bad. The subject of the lyrics is just too narrow to interpret like Streets or Bad. It reminds me of something more along the lines of Kite, and that's still a VERY good thing!!!

I don't think a U2 song has to be as abstract as Bad or Streets to be great. Look at With or Without You or Desire for example...

I was at the gig and I think COBL is up there with Streets and Bad, you cannot really appreciate how good it is from the crappy mp3 going round..

I dont think its great to compare it to STREETS or BAD, we only heard it yesterday! And a LIVE, shit copy at that. It is amazing, but Streets is over 15 years old, a classic, and the staple of their live shows. Its unfair to compare it. This song has extreme possibilties though because from what I hear, its a very strong song. I don't want to compare it to other u2 works, I just want to listen to it and judge it's quality. It rocks, and if I do compare it to anything else on the market right now, it blows everything out of the water.

Last edited:
I have a question for those who say they started to cry etc when hearing COBL. Was that because you know the theme of the song and that brought up memories, or was it more the sound of the song, that it just sounded very beautiful?

ps: i haven't heard it.

radioskugga said:
I have a question for those who say they started to cry etc when hearing COBL. Was that because you know the theme of the song and that brought up memories, or was it more the sound of the song, that it just sounded very beautiful?

It was the music and the "Sound", in fact it was the whole thing! I don't know why it roused such emotion. The subject matter of lost innocence and Madison Square Gardens after 9/11 also charged the song emotionally.

Last edited:
This song is brilliant...the fact that the recording is bad and we still love it, it a testament to that

what do ppl think the song will get worse when it's cleaned up?

I have to say I'm really starting to wonder if the band has lived up to the hype they've put behind this cd

Bono Hinted at this Song at Slane

During the final chorus of "Walk On" at Slane Castle in 2001 ("U2 Go Home" DVD), Bono starred at the Irish crowd and exclaimed, "You look so beautiful, soo beautiful... the spirit is in the house." I think that's where he may have come up with the catchy line from COBL: "You look so beautiful, tonight."

I will not listen to COBL until the album comes out. Sh*t this is going to be a long 36 days...

this will be me staring at my calendar:
:ohmy:

Re: Bono Hinted at this Song at Slane

akhan01 said:
During the final chorus of "Walk On" at Slane Castle in 2001 ("U2 Go Home" DVD), Bono starred at the Irish crowd and exclaimed, "You look so beautiful, soo beautiful... the spirit is in the house." I think that's where he may have come up with the catchy line from COBL: "You look so beautiful, tonight."

I think it might be a reference to his father? or to the people who died on 9/11?

radioskugga said:

It's the first time I comment on the song, but I am definately one of the people who cried when they heard it. Now, I cry very easily listening to music, but rarely the first few times I hear a song, and certainly never for such a crappy recording.

The song doesn't bring back any memories to me, I was not at the New York shows. It could be about anything and it would be as beautiful. For me it's more the tune and the melody that get to me, because it's hard to properly judge the 'sound' of it on a crappy live recording.

I don't think that the comparisons to other U2 songs like Streets or Stay are very useful, because honestly I couldn't rank U2 songs anyways, they are too different and appeal to different feelings and emotions. But of course U2 has some stand-out tracks, and I agree that COBL could really be one of them.

I say it for the firs time now: yes, this album could very well be a masterpiece, up there with JT and AB. And I am a very difficult and critical person. Actually, a few months ago I would have said that there is no way U2 could ever top themselves again. But now I don't know, from what I've heard, this album really does sound mind-blowing. ABOY absolutely rocks, it has an awesome bass line, a great guitar solo, and great lyrics. It sounds like a real rocker

Maybe some of us are getting a bit too excited, and it's possible some will be dissapointed, but I'm telling all the people who haven't heard anything yet: so far, it IS living up to the hype.

radioskugga said:

For me, it is both. The music is gut-wrenching. Larry and Adam create this level of tension in the rhythm section that just allows the subtlety of Bono's vocals and Edge's guitars really come to the surface and pull on the heart strings.

But in addition to the merits of the music itself, I was at the Madison Square Garden shows and when the house lights turn on during the climatic intro to Streets, it really *was* simply one of the most emotional, and powerful moments in my life.

I'm still sitting here kind of stunned, even listening to a shortend poor quality and choppy clip. I know we are missing a lot of the song, but the fact is we can still feel the Spirit of the song, including the melodies of Bono's vocals, and the pure emotion with which he sings it. Its beautiful. IMO, one of the most beautiful songs they have ever made, and it already (yes, prematurely because I haven't heard it in all its glory) in the upper echelon of my top U2 songs.

What can I say? Am I a fool? Am I easily affected? Probably, but deep down there is enough there to hear that it's really affecting me in some serious ways. When was the last time a song actually *changed* you?

Man, I can't wait for Nov.23rd...

It's very pretty music, right here.

Can't wait for the full version. Now I'm excited.

elfyx said:

What can I say? Am I a fool? Am I easily affected? Probably, but deep down there is enough there to hear that it's really affecting me in some serious ways. When was the last time a song actually *changed* you?

I think it's great that you can find that emotion in any song.
I would be careful not to get your expectations up so high that hearing the actual version of the song might not live up to them.

I haven't had an actual song change me in a while.
I wish it would happen on Nov 23rd. It might, but I don't know if it ever will. I don't look at music the same way I used to, I love it MORE than ever, but don't look at it the same way.

Frankly, I wish I could the feel the way you do about it.
Sure, I think the song is potentially great, maybe their best song in years, But it's the sad critical side of my musician brain that hears clips like that and just hears music, melody, and harmony etc and not as much emotion as it used to. I can still be moved to tears by songs, mostly U2 songs, ESPECIALLY Streets, which is why I didn't like the comparisons. And I am a big burly man who isn't supposed to cry at movies or to music, but I do. :)

radioskugga said:

I cried for many reasons. The song reminded me of what and how I felt at the last Elevation concert when U2 was helping us to heal our broken hearts. It also got me to thinking about where I was in my life 4 years ago...and not to sound dramatic but the last Elevation concert really has ultimatley been a turning point in my life--I was remembering so much than just the tragedy of 9/11, which is already plenty. My life was just so different then...

The song is just beautiful too...something about it just struck a part of my heart and it was the song's beauty that led me to think of all the other things. I know the song's topic was already given but if it wasn't a good song, if it didn't have it's own merits then I wouldn't have gotten the connection and reaction I did.

I felt purged and changed in some way after hearing COBL. I can only truly say that about one other song...and yes, it's a U2 one.

Having just heard the song a few hours ago, I can say that this really is an emotional track. Especially the chorus with the already classic "Oh you look so beautiful tonight!". That line along is so touching, just reading the lyrics can induce tears.

The way I hear this song is like their final (not final as in the career), maybe difinitve is a better word, "thank you" to us fans. Hearing it this way makes me feel more connected to the band than I ever had before.

Once we hear the full album version, I'm sure we will be abel to draw out all new emotions and meaning from the track as well as finally be exposed to the true musical vision of the song (as opposed to a crappy recording of a shortened live verison). THEN, when we hear it live on the official tour, the real thing, this song definitely has the potential to be as moving as Streets.

part of my epic setlist would be:

Bad (merged into next song)
All I Want is You (merged into next song)
Where the Streets Have No Name
City of Blinding Lights
One
Walk On

:drool:

bcrt2000 said:
part of my epic setlist would be:

Bad (merged into next song)
All I Want is You (merged into next song)
Where the Streets Have No Name
City of Blinding Lights
One
Walk On

:drool:

Those are damn good songs live, but i can't possibly imagine any other song than COBL closing their shows this time. :drool:

"Oh you are so beautiful, tonight" *fade and repeat*

starsgoblue said:

I am strongly considering going there...specifically for this song.

Yeah, I don't blame you!

The question is...Where does this song fit on the setlists? After Streets? I'm not so sure. Despite the fact that they're both incredibly powerful songs, it sounds like they have entirely different sounds to them. I'm not sure if they would close the show with it either.

Also, the verse of COBL reminds me of Always. It's good to see Adam playing a crucial role in the music again.:applaud:

Man! The harmony of the boys playing together is just so beautiful.

As I just wrote in another thread, I downloaded a "low bass" version of CoBL from TOPS and, well... how to say this? I wasn't impressed.

*ducks*

It could have been the horrible sound quality (very bad boot), but I didn't like it much at all.

However, I will reserve final judgment until I hear the actual album version on my stereo several times. :yes:

But as of this moment, based on what I heard, I cannot share the passion for this song.

Download the heavy bass one then. :yes: People seem to hate it but I love it, even though there's some fucked up noise the bass is just perfect! Blends in perfectly with Bono's melody. :up:

Its been 24 hours now since I first heard this song. I do not take back anything I have already said. In all its crappiness of recording, this IS the best U2 track I have ever heard since Stay. The beauty of it all is that we have yet to hear the full studio version AND, with it, some fantastic vocals. Bono sounds great live at the BBC. I can't imagine how good his vocals will be in the studio.

The clip is not of the best quality for me to give a real opinion on. At the moment i'm preferring the clip of Miracle Drug but don't get me wrong, on first listen i think that City of Blinding Lights sounds like something pretty special.
Reminds me of Joshua Tree and sounds like Coldplay, although froma much more experienced band...

Im not gonna listen to it much though, i wanna hold out for until the album, but whether i actually can is another matter.

starsgoblue said:

I am strongly considering going there...specifically for this song.

No!!!!!! It's gonna be hard enough for us to get tickets around here without more people coming in from out of town. But yeah COBL at MSG will be one of the highlights of the upcoming tour.

Back
Top Bottom