The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL = great, even with a crappy recording.

album version = amazing (prediction anyway)

its no Streets, but hey, nothing is......

I cracked.

Although the MP3 is horrible, the song sounds great! But I can't say it is better than Streets. It is way to hard to tell form this recording, and Streets is the best song of all time!

It kind of sounds like a song that "Coldplay" would try and make, but they couldnt do it like this (and I LOVE coldplay).

Mp3 pleassssse

[Please Please please please.
COBL forever
Anyone who has an mp3 however bad please send it to me, im really itching.
and can anybody tell me the song they started playing after vertigo, you get a good idea on TOTP that it rocked as they left them.

north_kurt@hotmail.com

I can't believe people are hyping about a song we can barely hear properly. It sounds promising, but come on people, I'm grateful for the recording, but it doesn't sound that amazing. I'll judge the studio version.

Does All Because of You remind anyone of Desire?

I still think that COBL is their best song ever. They will HAVE to close all of the shows with this.

Have listened to it a few times now, and it sounds awesome, no doubt about it, but their best song ever???!!! I think not...

This album is going to be amazing, without a doubt...but it won't be their best ever, they will never match the peaks of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree which were truly groundbreaking albums.

Martinuk100 said:
Have listened to it a few times now, and it sounds awesome, no doubt about it, but their best song ever???!!! I think not...

This album is going to be amazing, without a doubt...but it won't be their best ever, they will never match the peaks of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree which were truly groundbreaking albums.

I bet people said they couldn't better/equal Joshua Tree prior to Achtung Baby's release as well...;)

just heard COBL and saw this thread..

definitely a classic.. can't wait to hear the real version.. :hyper: couldn't make out all of the guitar, but enough to tell that it's a freakin' great song..

all of the hype on the new record always has me skeptical, just by nature.. but hearing this (even if it's not that great of a recording) certainly makes me even more fired up for the record.. (and unfortunately more obsessed with hearing it asap!)

:applaud: :bow:

Sleep Over Jack said:

I bet people said they couldn't better/equal Joshua Tree prior to Achtung Baby's release as well...;)

yeah, the thought was definitely "how can they top that" and also "do that again" and they came out and slapped everyone in the face with The Fly..

I remember initial reaction from many was confusion :eyebrow: and not as enthusiastic..:huh:

it's only as people got the record and with time that it has garnered the respect.. :cool:

I love that record more now than I ever have.. :heart:

It's weird how many of you are desperate trying to believe this new record would be U2's best ever by listening to those crappy quality mp3.

The new mp3 are crappy crappy crappy quality i can't make anything out of it... COBL is almost 6 mins on the LP and we have a very bad 3 mins recording and all of the sudden it's "U2's best song since Stay!?" Come on ppl... gimme a break! You can't judge an U2 record by those mp3 and you can't say it's their best without listening to it for at least a year!!!

Looks like many of you have to believe this is IT, the best LP ever, or you're gonna die or something...

Grow up, kids! If it's not their best record we will always have AB, JT, ZOOROPA, POP AND UF!:)

I totally agree U2_Guy...it's winding me up all this ridiculous frenzy following a bad quality recording. Like I say I'm delighted to hear the previews of the new songs...but to suddenly judge the whole album based on these is absurd.

Lets wait for the album to come out and then make a proper judgement.

I sorta agree with you guys, but we also have people running around here who were THERE, and they say it's as good as advertized... And they DID play three songs from the new album. That's almost a third, and you should be getting a pretty good feel from three songs how an album is going to go...

Last edited:
You know, if the song totally sucked, we'd be able to tell. People like what they hear in this recording, and I don't think they're being fooled; I think the quality of the song is coming through.

i don't agree with you u2_guy.. maybe your speakers can't handle the bad quality of the recording that well... i had to use an equalizer still to get anything worth listening to... and my first impressions of COBL are that its going to be a mega classic, a bigger classic than anything on the last 3 albums

we have clips of 5 of the 11 songs that will be on the regular version of the album, and every single one sounds good to me.. and not in the "catchy" sense... Vertigo is the Elevation of the album (a finished version-- not one that has to be fixed with the single), and ABOY might be the Beautiful Day of the album, but the other 3 songs sound like they will become U2 classics... now I think if everyone remembers, (not speaking about people on these forums but the press) not everyone was too excited to their first listen to ATYCLB.. one of the radio dj's on The Edge 102.1 (Toronto) & Jeremy of "our lady peace" (both big U2 fans) got together and listened to a preview copy and they thought it was going to be a stinker... and while the singles did really well (which changed those guys opinion on the album), the rest of the album wasn't comparable than anything on Pop, AB, or JT.. so this is a positive sign

Last edited:
Martinuk100 said:
I can't believe people are hyping about a song we can barely hear properly. It sounds promising, but come on people, I'm grateful for the recording, but it doesn't sound that amazing. I'll judge the studio version.

Does All Because of You remind anyone of Desire?

It's just struck me the the ABOY riff is almost identical to the R&H outtake of 'Blow Your House Down' with Bono and Edge on a beach.

All Because of You fits in nicely with Desire, thats probably why they played it last night, but its more of a good compliment if anything

I think Love and Peace Or Else also fits into that category

also, the intro of ABOY really reminds me of EBTTRT (especially the Axtung Beibi outtakes version)

Last edited:
I don't understand how come some people might be mad about the fact that some folks are excited with this new song. And that just because they don't feel the same and the recording is bad (not as horrible as described though) we are wrong. How can you be wrong in a matter of personal opinion? Ok, sure you can disagree but you don't have to bash and be a dick. Just stay away from the thread. I just can't understand it. :tsk:

BTW, as I listen COBL it just gets better and better, can't wait to listen to how the studio version sounds and for those extra 2 minutes. :up: Bono’s voice is great and I’m still drooling over that bassline, I only listen to the heavy bass version. :yes:

Herco said:

Yeah, I noticed that to, it sounds like "I Feel Free" (EBTTRT)

"I Feel Free" is actually where UTEOTW was derived from, i guess kind of like how Beautiful Day was derived from Always (if you notice, Edge still says "Always" in the background of Beautiful Day, and in the DVD that came with the Ltd Edition of the Best of 1990-2000 the Beautiful Day video, when they are in the studio it actually has it labeled as "Always" on the wall)

EBTTRT was actually an instrumental in the outtakes

Oh yeah you're right, sorry :(
Now i'm confused, it's I Feel Free with the high harmonics in the beginning isin't it? :confused:

listen...u2 are really on to something here...bury jt and achtung baby for once, everyone's obsessed with those two albums...live in the present...this is true u2 stuff here what we're hearing...trust me this is great stuff...can't wait to hear the album in november

The 2 songs are great altought the quality is not very good! I love "COBL", it will be a classic! "ABOY" is also a good song with Edge in good form! I really like the new stuff of U2!

Back
Top Bottom