The ATYCLB > HTDAAB club - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 AM
The ATYCLB > HTDAAB club

This is not an HTDAAB bashing thread.
Then, what is it?

It's the proof that "no one likes ATYCLB more than HTDAAB" is a false statement.

It's a protest against grouping the two latest albums together as if they're equally good / bad.

It's walking on to follow a kite to New York on a beautiful day.

It's being elevated out of a moment you were stuck in.

It's gracefully looking for peace on earth while looking at the world.

And above all, it's a club which found its origins in a post by MumblingBono in this thread.

Join the club!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:57 AM
yes! can I be a member?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

lol, I knew this thread would appear!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
lol, I knew this thread would appear!
stop lying
Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
yes! can I be a member?
Of course! What would a club be without members?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

stop lying
Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

ATYCLB is still a step backwards from what they were doing between 83 and 98, but it's a lot more enjoyable for me than HTDAAB.

Especially the UK version, which as The Ground Beneath Her Feet on it.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:57 PM
I love ATYCLB
Old 07-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

ATYCLB is still a step backwards from what they were doing between 83 and 98, but it's a lot more enjoyable for me than HTDAAB.

What he said.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
The Male

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BANZAI
Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Boo to you Lemon Melon!! Booooo
Old 07-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Boo to you Lemon Melon!! Booooo
It's nothing personal against the album (which I like to some extent), but this whole "make a thread for and against every single album" thing really needs to stop. The anti-HTDAAB thread was bad enough, but now another (sort of) anti-HTDAAB thread, both on the same page????
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

It's nothing personal against the album (which I like to some extent), but this whole "make a thread for and against every single album" thing really needs to stop. The anti-HTDAAB thread was bad enough, but now another (sort of) anti-HTDAAB thread, both on the same page????
I think you're confused about what this thread is. Go read the initial post again.

This isn't an anti-HTDAAB thread. This is (sort of) an anti-people-who-think-the-latest-two-albums-should-be-tossed-on-one-pile thread.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I loved ATYCLB when it came out - but I cannot join this club. Once I heard HTDAAB, I realized what ATYCLB could have been. So sorry, I'm a member of the HTDAAB>ATYCLB club (although both are very good albums, as is all of U2's catalog).
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I think they are my two favorite albums and I listen to them more than to the others. ATYCLB was my first U2 album and it is very special to me and listening to it still feels like getting a massage. And for some reason I don't get tired of HTDAAB. It's like a caffeinated version of ATYCLB.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Once I heard HTDAAB, I realized what ATYCLB could have been.
Once I heard HTDAAB, I realized what ATYCLB could have been. And I gained new found respect for ATYCLB, an album I'd previously just thought of as weak. I still think it's pretty weak as far as U2 albums go, but it's good and light to HTDAAB's evil and darkness.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Once I heard HTDAAB, I realized what ATYCLB could have been. And I gained new found respect for ATYCLB, an album I'd previously just thought of as weak. I still think it's pretty weak as far as U2 albums go, but it's good and light to HTDAAB's evil and darkness.
Ah, but I never thought of ATYCLB as "weak" no did I think of it as "good and light" vs. Bomb's "evil and darkness". In fact, both albums are full of joyous uplifting songs as well as questioning, challenging songs. "Peace on Earth" and "When I Look at the World" are challenging songs, akin to "Wake Up Dead Man" from "Pop" and "Love and Peace or Else" from HTDAAB.

And, this is typical of all U2 albums. For every "Mysterious Ways", there is an "Acrobat". For every "I Trip Through Your Wires", there is an "Exit". For every "Beautiful Day", there is a "Peace on Earth". U2's work has always explored both sides. Even their songs about faith are challenging and questioning. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is clearly about a man still searching for God in his life, despite all attempts to be at peace with God. "Elevation" is about a man who was so low he had nowhere to go but up. "Gloria" is about a confused soul, looking to God. It's all about questioning and challenging issues. The most challenging is clearly "Wake Up..." and "If God Will Send His Angels", two songs that basically directly ask if God is there and if He will help!

So good vs. evil? You'll find in on every albums - sometimes within one song.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Ah, but I never thought of ATYCLB as "weak" no did I think of it as "good and light" vs. Bomb's "evil and darkness". In fact, both albums are full of joyous uplifting songs as well as questioning, challenging songs. "Peace on Earth" and "When I Look at the World" are challenging songs, akin to "Wake Up Dead Man" from "Pop" and "Love and Peace or Else" from HTDAAB.

And, this is typical of all U2 albums. For every "Mysterious Ways", there is an "Acrobat". For every "I Trip Through Your Wires", there is an "Exit". For every "Beautiful Day", there is a "Peace on Earth". U2's work has always explored both sides. Even their songs about faith are challenging and questioning. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is clearly about a man still searching for God in his life, despite all attempts to be at peace with God. "Elevation" is about a man who was so low he had nowhere to go but up. "Gloria" is about a confused soul, looking to God. It's all about questioning and challenging issues. The most challenging is clearly "Wake Up..." and "If God Will Send His Angels", two songs that basically directly ask if God is there and if He will help!

So good vs. evil? You'll find in on every albums - sometimes within one song.
But your analysis seems to be focusing primarily on the lyrics. I think Earnie was focusing primarily on the musical nature of the records. ATYCLB has a breezy, poppy, light quality for the most part, while Bomb has a louder, stuffier, heavier quality for the most part.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

But your analysis seems to be focusing primarily on the lyrics. I think Earnie was focusing primarily on the musical nature of the records. ATYCLB has a breezy, poppy, light quality for the most part, while Bomb has a louder, stuffier, heavier quality for the most part.
While there's truth in what you wrote, I always find that Edge's music often goes with Bono's lyrics (or perhaps the other way around). Regardless, the two flow. "Elevation" is indeed a light-hearted rocking song musically, but lyrically its simplicity is deceiving. Talk about a "mole digging in a hole" makes the song sound like superficial pop, but really, it's about spiritual enlightenment. Musically, I find this true as well. The "wah wah" pedal is used to great effect, emphasizing this spiritual elevation as the song grows and builds.

A look at "Vertigo" sees a similar pattern. A light rock song or one that is really multi-layered? Again, I think lyrically and musically, the song shows a growth and a spiritual build up. They are both songs about discovery and spiritual renewal. One can hear this not just in the lyrics, but in the music itself. This is why they are such fan favorites in concert - they songs are joyous!

Are there dark songs on HTDAAB? "Love and Peace" sure is, but then, isn't "New York" on ATYCLB - a song that also is musically darker? And "Peace on Earth" and "Grace" seem softer, but then, isn't "Yahweh" also the same?

It's clear these two albums are very related with similar themes both musically and lyrically. Even the stage design and overall clothing was similar with the two tours. The albums are connected. If "Bomb" seems darker, that could be due to more of one's personal perceptions of the work than what U2 intended. I actually find joy in the early part of ATYCLB, but great sadness in the second half. "Bomb" seems a far more level CD, keeping me reflective and even hopeful throughout.