The album with the best lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh how I love when people make themselves out to be martyrs and victims!

--------
Oh, the city's alight
With lovers and lies
Bright blue eyes
Oh, the city is bright
It's brighter than day tonight

Surrender, Surrender

Actually U2Kitten, before you freak out and blow a gasket.....I don't like your attitude. You come off as condesening and rude. What you think about U2 and Pop doesn't really bother me. Salome doesn't really like Pop....I still think he's a cool cat.......

*shrugs*

Whatever.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
oh how I love when people make themselves out to be martyrs and victims!

--------
Oh, the city's alight
With lovers and lies
Bright blue eyes
Oh, the city is bright
It's brighter than day tonight

Surrender, Surrender

I am a victim. I have been persecuted for my beliefs. I must crash my plane into the building which houses this server to achieve true martyrdom of course. What do you do?

You have chosen great lyrics for your sig Wanderer. I notice they are not from POP.

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 11-15-2001).]

*sigh* This is absolutely pathetic. It would be one thing if you had been attacked by a vicious mob of POP-lovers but if you read back through the thread you will find something different. It was not the fact that you so braaaavely dared to speak out against POP that got things stirred up on this thread. It?s the condescending, fanatical attitude in which you did it. Out of morbid curiosity I did go back and reread some of the older posts. I?d hardly qualify them as those of an innocent martyr.

Don't worry Scatteroflight, this is INSANE! I guantee any survey of U2 fans anywhere else but here would rank Pop last or close to it.

You have to consider too, Seconds, that of the 5000 people registered to Interference it looks like Scatteroflight and I may be the only ones to have the guts to tell it like it is. Most people who don't like it won't diss Pop in fear of flames, so they just don't post at all. I really don't care because it's an inferior album and even the band knows it. Please take this into account before you believe by the percentages here that over 85% of U2 fans believe it's among the top works! Give me a freakin' break. What a joke. LMAO!! I'm not even coming back to this ridiculous thread.

As I stated before, I am SURE to be in the 'minority' among those who WILL POST but I KNOW I am not in the minority overall of U2 fans all over the world, or even on this forum if an entire poll could be taken. Scatteroflight, you are right, they are just waaaayyyyy too 'superior' (especially since they defend and INFERIOR album) and the fact that it is constantly justified and glorified BEYOND REASON 'ad nauseum' makes me dislike it even more. I am confident of the inferiority of POP so these comments don't upset me. This is insane. Much of U2's finest work hasn't even been discussed here. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time. Now I'm really not coming back to this thread

I clearly stated that if you like it that's fine, I don't care, but to not let your personal opinions get in the way of accurate placements and the truth. ? I don't care if you like Pop, hell no, but for so many people to try to pass it off as top 3 in U2's catalog is utterly ridiculous. SIGH- I'm sure somewhere there are people who would argue the lyrical greatness of Destiny's Child's 'Survivor.' Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine but when passing judgement more things than our own taste and enjoyment should be considered.

I add to this the fact that POP was U2's worst selling album since they achieved superstardom, and less sales would probably mean fewer fans liked it. ?I also base my 'generalizations' on the fact that I have never personally met a Pop fan, old or young. All U2 fans I know felt that Pop was beneath U2, and yes, it is a joke to people I know.

There are about 3 or 4 songs with good lyrics on Pop, but the lame crap drags it down, and when you compare it to albums that are masterpieces with all the songs being amazing, well written lyrical works, it is ridiculous to have Pop in the top 3. It's like comparing a 7-9 season to a Super Bowl Championship!
As I mentioned before, 27 people would say they liked it just to 'piss me off.' SO far only 3 have spoken up to say we don't like it, though several did not show it on their list. I think most people who want to choose something other than POP are avoiding this thread in fear of a flame war.
I challenge 80sU2isbest and all the others that don't care so much for Pop to have the balls to post here and bring this crazy disproportionate average down. If you dare!

With Pop, it was like U2 had been replaced by evil robots from the future who set out to trash their careers! (I won't even bring up how ridulous they LOOKED on top of how they sounded!) You are right, if not for ATYCLB they would have been reduced to the scrap heap of rock history like so many other has-beens. BUT- because there WAS ATYCLB and many fans came back, everyone renewed their interest, and look at them now- HUGELY successful worldwide, dare I say it, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD?! Selling out arenas, fans desperate for tickets, scalpers grabbing and selling at outrageous prices, enormously popular, legendary now and forever, their place of honor among the rock greats firmly cemented for all time! This would not have happened if U2 had not abandoned the Pop path and put out ATYCLB. That is a fact that some may not want to hear but it cannot be denied. Pop hurt their career, ATYCLB saved it.[/b]

BUT- to list your team as the greatest and strongest in the league and bound for the Super Bowl based only on the fact that you like them is just plain incorrect. This was never meant to be a poll of what we like, but what is honestly U2's best work lyrically. All you have to do is read the lyrics sheets and compare

It proves what I have been trying to say, that despite the avid overzealousness of a few dozen POP advocates on this forum the album was a FLOP with the public as a whole and it is by far U2's most maligned and disliked album by more people without a doubt.

So to sum up. What you keep repeating is that since Pop was not a huge success commercially and in popularity, it therefore follows that it is an inferior album and that anyone who disagrees with that statement is either (a) overzealous, (b) trying to make you mad, or (c ) insane.

Here?s the thing. I love U2. You know why I love U2 so much that I?d spend my hard-earned cash going to their shows, buying their music, collecting their bootlegs and hanging out on a goddamm internet forum? It?s because of respect. Respect for them as people and respect for them as musicians. Respect for Bono as a writer. Respect for the band as a creative force that refuses to do what is expected of them?who is determined to "fuck up the mainstream." If they were not that kind of a band?the kind of band that would go all "experimental" with an album like UF?the kind of band who would release an iconclastic album like AB after the wild success of JT?the kind of band that would risk their spots at the top of the ridiculous entertainment ladder in order to poke fun at the shallowness of it all?the kind of band that can pull off all of that?they would not be the unique, amazing band that I love.

So, I?m sorry if it bothers you that U2 put out POP. I?m sorry that you don?t like it. I think you?re missing out, but hey that?s your loss not mine. But what I?m really sorry about is that you feel that you have to sit here and pick fights with others just because they disagree with your standards of measuring lyrical greatness. If I recall correctly, this thread began as merely an opinion thread?a "what do you think?" kind of thread?not a highly accurate, scientifically-correct, record-defining poll that one has to be in the majority or minority of to be correct. People have different opinions. Greatness is measured in the eyes of the beholder. And our eyes are all different. We may be one in our love for the band, but we?re not the same. Perhaps we can all accept that and work with each other rather than scream at each other. That's all I have to say.

-sula

Originally posted by popkidu2:
Actually U2Kitten, before you freak out and blow a gasket.....I don't like your attitude. You come off as condesening and rude. What you think about U2 and Pop doesn't really bother me. Salome doesn't really like Pop....I still think he's a cool cat.......

*shrugs*

Whatever.

Interesting and IRONIC you should say that because I have spoken in private with several people on this site (yes I have a few friends and relatives here) and that's exactly how we have described most POP advocates- CONDESCENDING AND RUDE!! I mean those exact words! There again, it all depends on who it is and which side you are on.

*SIGH* Speaking of condescending and rude, here comes the almighty Sulawesigirl with her carefully chosen and edited remarks of mine picked apart and criticized with HER biased opinions. Look I don't like the freaking album and I grow weary of hearing its defense. Give it up already. If it's so ridiculous WHY DO YOU CARE???!!!

*SIGH* Have fun people. I'm gonna go watch that Mick Jagger special on Dateline.

Originally posted by Seconds:
Wow. I never meant for this post to get out of hand. Everyone seems to be picking on U2kitten because of her view. Which I happen to agree with. I know my original post was "tell me your personal favorite album based on lyrics" but the subject went beyond that.

I think the reason U2kitten, others and I feel so passionate about this is because we feel the album is so obviously bad, we can't understand why there is such high disproportion of fans here that adore this album. It's like the movie "Glimmer". Most people hated it, but there is a small proportion who actually liked it. But it would seem strange to go to a movie forum on the net, and find that most people in that forum would pick it as one of their top movies. Does that make any sense?

Anyways.

Thanks again Seconds. I wish more people payed attention to your post instead of bashing me.

so, your whole contention is that you don't understand how there could be anyone out there among the 6 million people who bought Pop that could actually like it, especailly since you and so many others that you have talked to hate it, is that what you are saying?

do you want me to direct you to the Smashing Pumpkins forum so you can bash Adore? or you could head on over to the Pearl Jam websites and tell everyone that No Code sucks ass and mock anyone who likes it... or you could go on over to the Radiohead forum and tell them what a load of crap Kid A is... or maybe while you're watching the Mick Jagger special you could sneak on over to a Rolling Stone forum to tell everyone how bad there last 3 or 4 albums are... ? k?

smile.gif

-----------
September, streets capsizing
Spilling over, down the drain
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel -- your own pain...

you took the soul of me, put a hole in me...

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
Interesting and IRONIC you should say that because I have spoken in private with several people on this site (yes I have a few friends and relatives here) and that's exactly how we have described most POP advocates- CONDESCENDING AND RUDE!! I mean those exact words! There again, it all depends on who it is and which side you are on.

So what's your point? Not only do you not like Pop, you don't like people who like Pop? That there is something wrong with those fans who enjoy that period of U2's career? I find that disturbing.

What bothers me about U2 fans that slag POP is not that they don't like it. That's fine. There is music that I don't enjoy. I don't really get the beatles for the most part. I don't hate Beatle's fans.

What bothers me is that people talk about the "pop era" like U2 was gone..."replaced by robots" is what you likened it to. It's like they can't accept the idea that U2 actually produced this album and tour, and are actually proud of it. They simply can't accept that U2 wanted to do something risky. The fact that Edge has stated numerous times that he's proud of the Popmart tour must send you into convulstions.

This is where the "rude" and "condesending" attitude must come from.

Look, don't like Pop. Fair play. But don't feel like you have to defend the honor of U2 or something. Accept the fact that some fans really enjoy the album. Sure, we may not be the majority, but we do exist. Why be bothered by it? The press is on your side. That should make you happy......

Popu2kid I don't hate everyone who hates POP, I like lots of Interferencers who like it just as you like Salome. It's only the ones with an attitude like yours, like you must shove it down everyone's throat until they scream they love it. Well I don't like it but I have been a U2 fan since 1983 and I love the band very much. I am not Henry Rollins. I also find it interesting that I am the only one being attacked here though others on this thread have said they didn't like it. Look there is nothing I can say that is going to satisfy you, or at least nothing I will say.

U2Kitten is a very nice and caring person who loves U2 very much and likes most of the people she has met on Interference. She just doesn't like Pop. Go back and read Seconds' last post and maybe you will believe him and understand my feelings, he's exactly right!

I am a glutton for even coming back here but having rude things said about me and having my words and intentions selectively twisted makes me very upset. If you don't want to hear from me anymore, stop replying to this thread. If people continue to come here and attack me I can only assume that they enjoy fighting and hope it will continue. Perhaps that is the worst thing I could do to you, just shut up. God knows nobody's listening anyway, or they wouldn't say most of the things they do.

Cheers to all the Interferencers who had the good sense to avoid this thread regardless of their opinion of POP. You all did the right thing.

So now your official resident NON-POPtart is going to bed now. I have to get up at 6 AM.

Whoa!!

1.Achtung Baby
2.The Unforgettable Fire/ The Joshua Tree
3.Zooropa

Its so funny how a few years ago, everytime the word Pop appears in this thread, it could have been substituted for Zooropa, and a few years before that, Rattle and Hum and a few years before that October.

I think Pop has some great lyrics, but it also has some not so great lyrics.
This talk of people's attitudes is kinda strange.
I guess because I like Pop I must be in that bad category, oh well. I just like U2.
Isnt that enough?

p.s. U2kitten...i dont believe Sula said anything which required you to get personal with the 'almighty' remark. Not very cool.

*SIGH* Speaking of condescending and rude, here comes the almighty Sulawesigirl with her carefully chosen and edited remarks of mine picked apart and criticized with HER biased opinions. Look I don't like the freaking album and I grow weary of hearing its defense. Give it up already. If it's so ridiculous WHY DO YOU CARE???!!!

*SIGH* Have fun people. I'm gonna go watch that Mick Jagger special on Dateline.

now now... she's entitled to her opinion too..
ok, u2kitten.. I don't know you, I'd like to think you are a great person.
I just wish you'd see that it was your comments on Pop's inferiority that shifted the entire focus of this discussion.
Thats all...

I hope we can have a better conversation elsewhere.
smile.gif

Peace...

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by icelady:
I have been here for a long, long time. That sounds directed at me? Why we are unsure...

There is no such thing as wrong or right when you?re just expressing your preferences, whether is about Pop or Bono?s hair. Again, why does hair enter into the thread. Why we are unsure...

I can tell you why. Because some people know that it causes fights and more trouble and they enjoy it and are trying to get another sore subject started and throw more fuel on the fire. What else could be the reason? I purposely never mentioned hair and stuck only to the MUSIC and the facts to avoid this discussion. What I have said on PLEBA or anywhere in the past has NOTHING to do with this now, unless Follower is trying to stir up shit.

Well, this is ridiculous, and Icelady was very honest in her observations and she should not be attacked. It seems fair here only matters if you're on the right side, and apparently that is the Pro-POP side to this forum, all naysayers are persecuted. I have noticed a lack of the non-Pop people here, because they are afraid of the fights and flames. That's disappointing.I
give credit, though, to several people I know are very Pro-POP who have wisely kept their noses clean and out of this mess.

No one will get any apologies from me. I think I deserve a few.
I'll never get them. But I won't say I'm sorry to anyone here, because I haven't said anything I'm ashamed of and I don't say things I don't mean.

U2Kitten:
What are great lyrics in your opinion?
I think that's what most of us want to know.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

icelady, even though you said you would leave, I think you might check it again, so I would like to ask you to read my post above in its entirety, instead of picking one sentence here, another there, my post is a concise argument. I said I've been here for a long time, time enough to see endless and useless battles about all sort of matters concerning taste on U2's music or life style. The most ridiculous ones were about Bono's hair, that's the reason why I brought the issue into the thread. I did that joke with U2Kitten because I know she hates Bono's Popmart look. It was a joke, nothing more than that. Maybe you and her didn't get it, because it seems that you're quite new here (and I just realised that, believe me or not).
As for my comment on stubborness, I have kids, really stubborn ones. I know what I'm talking about. It's not a threat. I do no harm, even though she compared all the Pop lovers to pit vipers.
Finally, I might be unsure about lots of things, but I'm sure about one: Pop is on MY list of best lyrics U2 albuns. And there Pop will remain.
That's enough for me. Lighten up girls. And be happy.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Follower- Icelady DOES know the history of the hair stuff, THAT'S why she saw it as a cheap shot and a stab at me which I still consider it to be, along with an attempt to provoke me into a bigger battle. If you truly want peace, don't make comments like that.

To the person who asked what I considered to be good lyrics, I listed some much earlier in this thread, but as has happened before many of my posts are overlooked when someone wants to throw something up to me. I believe I have covered all bases. I don't have time now but I will surely make a list of what I consider to be great U2 lyrics and post them.

The worst thing about all this is that it has gotten away from the music and has become personal against certain individuals. Yes, I used the term pit vipers, but the way I was pounced bitten I think it was quite an accurate description in several cases. Hating POP is a crime around here, and 'hate crimes' will surely ensue!

Funniest thing is, I'm sure the band really doesn't give a crap what songs we like or don't like. They don't expect us to like everything, no one does! It just seems some people here are so hung up on thinking they must love everything U2 does and so must everyone else or something is 'wrong' with them and that is total BS!

I also find it interesting that I am the only one being attacked here though others on this thread have said they didn't like it.
maybe because I only said it isn't my fav U2 album and I don't like it when people accuse me of 'not getting it' (in a way as if except for U2 I only 'get' Britney S. and J. Lopez), but I must say that nothing like that has happened in this thread

I do still listen to POP (though not regularly), but I prefer other albums

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

It's simple, U2Kitten:

Salome & co just said they didn't like it.

You kept justifying and justifying your position when it's just an opinion. Don't justify it. Let it go...
wink.gif

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

or you could head on over to the Pearl Jam websites and tell everyone that No Code sucks ass and mock anyone who likes it...

OH NO PLEASE DON'T! NO CODE KICKS ASS!!
biggrin.gif
LOL Funny I'm listening to NO CODE right now!!
biggrin.gif
Just thought that was interesting! Pearl Jam Rocks my world!
biggrin.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Back
Top Bottom