The Album is done...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All this talk of "last tour" is making me realize that I'm gonna need to collect a lot of money this year and find a very flexible job, so that I can go to as many shows as possible. I'll go anywhere to see them.....I need to travel more anyway.

allergictomiami said:
Why is this so far fetched? To be honest I've been expecting it since the end of the Elevation tour. I mean think about this...

Because I have been hearing the break up rumors since 1990. I remember a very reliable source then said that Acthung Baby and Zoo were U2's last tour. I have heard the same rumor every single album and tour since. I was wondering when it would hit for this one.

All of the band members have said that they will continue to make music together as long as it isnt crap. Bono himself indicated that he doesnt think that by good means album sales (which is something that goes against your relevancy theory IMO Only U2 will judge whether they think they are relevant). As long as they like what they are doing and THEY are happy with the music they produce they will continue to do so. Touring may be sacrificed at some point and by that I mean the huge world tour. Bono likes the spotlight to much to let it go completely. Another thing is U2 ALWAYS leaves the door open for options. They have made no decisions at this point regarding what is next after the new album and tour. That decision will be made when the new tour is done. That is how they have ALWAYS done it. That is why this "source" story is difficult to believe. Unless its from a band member or Paul McGuinness I would still take it with a grain of salt. There are alot of people out there that claim they know whats going on. The bottom line is U2 have alot of "friends" out there that think they are major connections. But only those really close to the band really know what is going on. No disrespect to Gherman, I believe you know someone that says they are a source and they may be conveying what they have "heard" or "think" may be happening but they probebly dont know. The very facts behind what you are saying fly in the face of most of what U2 has said about the future and how they have done things in the past. So it is very difficult to believe.

Last edited:
allergictomiami,

"2. The contract they last signed, well if I did the math correctly, with this album it's up, they might be obligated to a 3rd Best Of, but that's no big deal they can just make a Best of All Times and this would NOT be considered a major album"

The Best Of's were a seperate contract from the 6 album contract they signed after the release of ZOOROPA. So far U2 have completed and released 2 albums for that deal, 4 more to go.

"3. There's also the matter of all the band members seeming to invest in real state (Edge's new house, Bono's extension, restaurant and new apt, gosh knows what Larry's been up to) isn?t this wise retirement planning?"

I know people in their late 20s that do the same, definitely not a sign of retirement.

"4. Let's not forget the ticket prices of the last tour, it was pretty obvious they were taking care of debts and trying to save up some cash, small venues high prices, playing it very safe in the financial end"

The band went with the tour that they thought was best to promote the album not knowing before hand what the over-all demand would be. It was better to be selling out multiple nights at a 20,000 seat arena than to play one show at the stadium attracting a huge crowd of 40,000 people but failing to sellout 10,000 other seats in the Nosebleads. The Media reports band is hot selling out multiple shows rather than "Band declining in popularity, fails to sellout stadium show". Better press equals better album sales.

As far as ticket prices, U2 has charged the best market rate they could every time they have toured. The large increase in Prices from POPMART is a reflection of the bands switch to Arena's where the supply of seats is smaller. A cut in supply leads to an increase in DEMAND which increases price.

Based on the demand for the last tour and the fact that every show sold out, I would say they probably undercharged a little for Elevation. In contrast, based on the demand we saw for POPMART, the ticket prices then were on the high side.

The band charges based on market value, not on whether this price is fair vs. this price.

The band are not old and being in your early 40s is young from a writing, recording and playing perspective. This is not the NFL/Professional Football, although you would be surprised by how many retired NFL players could probably still play even in their 40s.

"I personally think it makes perfect sense that this be their last major effort, go out on a bang, and never look back. I could see them putting out a b-sides compilations which they neglected in the last Best Of and maybe a Best of All Times afterwards just let us down softly. But I would be surprised if they tried for one more major album. In any case, it's just my opinion, like you, I wish they were energizer bunnies."

The only reason I might agree with this being the last album is the Hall Of Fame induction and the fact that they are taking record time to get this next album into the stores.

But I honestly doubt that. The next U2 studio album(after the one their recording now) will probably come out in 2008 if they keep up the current pace.

BlueRoom I actually agree with you more than you think. Rumor for the sake of rumor, yeah it's happened, then again the band never really went into the studio on a sucessful note since the 90's, (R&H drama, neverending ZooTV, Popmart flop), this time they did, but that's not point. Don't get me wrong I am not all trying to say this is a valid source of reliable information, all I'm saying is just like every other rumor there could be some truth to it. As far as the relevancy goes, saying that as long as the band is happy with what they've produced is oversimplifying it. I know I focused mainly on the public's reception to the music but to deny your audience's influence on your art is also not where it's at. If anything it's a healthy mix of both. Just look at ATYCLB, can you honestly tell me that the direction of making a "pop" album was not more than partially influenced by Pop's lack of connection with its audience? Or even AB as an answer to R&H? No it is by far not that simple. Yes they could cut down on "world tours" and some would argue they've already done that with the Elevation tour. But U2 has always been about the whole 9 yards, it's either full-tilt or no tilt. And I mean think about the consequences of a tour even more limited than Elevation...that wouldn't be touring to the public, that would be the equivalent of an Irving Plaza tour, nothing but big wigs, and that's not what the music is about. It would be out of character for them, so I don't think that would ever happen. Now like you said no one knows what's in store for them, the doors are open, and note that I never mentioned break up...not once...imo U2 will never break up, and Bono will never shut up, but they won't always be the band as we know it, and they may not record forever, they might just fade away gracefully. And that's all I suggested as a possibility.

Last edited:
Sting2, I did address some things on my previous post to BlueRoom, however, thank you for correcting me on the amount of albums left, I personally have never bothered with details I just knew the number 6 to be the magic number. I don?t know that that changes much so I?ll continue.?I know people in their late 20s that do the same, definitely not a sign of retirement? yes some do, most don?t have that foresight or cash at that age or even as late as their 40?s. I?m not here to dwell on their bank accounts, they definitely didn?t have the cash till JT (30?s) and as soon as that happened they took on great financial responsibility with ZooTV, and came off Popmart barely even. I?m not going to say anything about ticket prices cause I agree with everything you said, but the point was they played it safe, why? Cause it?s like waking up in your 40?s realizing you got a family and a career based on fans who weren?t too happy with your last effort. They couldn?t afford not to make money, cause it might've been their last try, and that?s all I am getting at, that priorities are changing. Yeah if they had the same lifestyle (exercise, nutrition, and other healthy habits) as a professional athlete they could go till they die, but they don?t. Bono smokes, drinks, and talks too much. Which is all fine and dandy, I don?t blame him it?s whom he is, but the reality is his personality directly affects his shelf life as a singer. Each person?s vocal chords are different, some more sensitive than others, so we can?t compare him to any other singer. And Larry, Larry has a back problem which is out of his hands no matter how much time he spends in the gym or how much green he eats. Could they make albums forever yeah, tour as insistently as they do now, no. But U2 wouldn?t be U2 w/o their tours cause U2 is more about the songs coming alive in concert than their albums, which is the only reason why I believe ?last major effort? to not be so far fetched. And like you said it?s a great time to bow out, inducted into the hall of fame, a great album, an intact lineup, and a great last tour. But hey if there?s an album and tour in 2008 I?ll be right next to you in line at the midnight release. One can only hope, but I rather see them go gracefully now than for them to continue at this pace, any slower they?ll lose relevance, and hear Bono can?t sing a single note 20 years down the road. But who knows really only time will tell.

allergictomiami,

Just a couple of points. The Band may have been concerned about their status as both the best and most popular band in the world after POP and POPMART, but they were not concerned about their bank account or their family.

Contrary to popular opinion, POPMART was not a flop. The 93 date POPMART tour Grossed 171 million dollars worldwide. Yes, there were several dates that had as little as 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium. But at 50 dollars a pop, that was a million dollars in just one night for a poorly attended show. The tour went on for 11 months and cost 214,000 dollars a day.

POPMART tour Ticket GROSS 171 million dollars

POPMART tour COST: 70.6 million dollars.

This translates to a 100 million dollar profit for the 5 members of the group. 5 because Paul MC gets an equal cut.

Michael Cohl who won the contract to promote the band a year earlier in 1996, did so by offering the band a deal it could not refuse, an up front guaranteed profit. The band did not have to deal with any of the financial risked involved.

Michael Cohl is a rich man who had prior to this promoted the Rolling Stone tours of 89' and 94-95 and Pink Floyds Division Bell tour and U2's Joshua Tree tour. If POPMART had been a flop, U2 would not of lost a dime.

As it turns out, both Michael Cohl and obviously U2 made good money from POPMART, but clearly Michael could have made even more money if some of those less well attended shows had been soldout.

Also, at 171 million dollars in total GROSS, POPMART is the 4th highest Grossing tour in history WORLDWIDE. Only the past 3 Rolling Stone Tours surpass it in total Gross Worldwide.

U2's total worth is currently around 750 million dollars.

If anything the band wakes up in their 40s and has to discipline itself to go out on tour and work instead of going of to the Beach house in France, or going to visit the in laws in California, or hanging out in New York, or building a new 10 million dollar house next the multi-million one you have been living in for the past few years. The band is wealthy beyond any persons imagination.

It is a total contrast from 1978 to the end of 1983 and the War tour. During that time the band was borrowing money and using what ever money they made to put food in their mouths and pay of their debts. It was not until the end of the War tour that each band member had a enough money to buy an averaged sized house. It was that tour and album that the band actually made money for the first time. Since then, the band has steadily built their wealth.

750 mill??? That's unreal. Often when people criticize Bono for the causes he supports (ie, Africa, debt relief, etc), they do so based on his staggering wealth and assume he puts none of his own billions into it. I somehow think he does, given how much he has. But really, that's beside the point, as not even Bill Gates could put a dent into the African problem with his money alone.

Oops, sorry for the tangent.

Well a contract for 6 albums is nice in theory, but what happens if U2 decides to call it quits sooner?

If you compare Bono's voice between 1980-1990 and 1990-2001, it's clear he's losing it. (though he sounded better the last time around then Popmart IMO, and had a great stage presence, as usual) I'm worried what will happen after 2010.

Chizip said:
where have you gone, edge's cousin?
interference turns it's lonely eyes to you...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee HAAAA!!!

The Edge's cousin The Corner reeeeeeeporting for duty

Yes folks it is true indeedy

The new album is in fact done

Problem done be that the band is just has darn tootin' many issues to release it now

--Bono has taken up a new cause- he's attempting to raise world wide awareness to the plight of the south american whooping crane

--Larry's going through a bit of a crisis over his new look- he was tired of always bein' the clean cut one and decided to let himself go a bit. he's not having second thoughts. see for yourself-
top%20hat%20web.JPG

--Adam's been busy tryin' out new songs to sing for the tryouts for the next episode of Irish Idol

--And last but certainly not least, Cousin The Edge has been preeparin for a new advertising campaign he just signed up for-
mr.clean.gif

Weeeell that's all from U2 camp

Second all dem here issues get a straightened out wee'll have our new album

Until next time this here be The Corner, Cousin to The Edge

I agree with the commitment the band has made regarding the quality and completeness of their projects, as a result of their unsatisfaction with POP.

However, I wonder what the costs and/or consequences there are if a band cannot balance quantity and quality. It seems a symmetry is required, and that there is a line that separates the two. If U2 crosses that line, could future projects lose their authenticity and be ________ (fill in the blank)?

What about the idea that says "The longer you take to get it right only increases the chances you will get it wrong"?

STING2 said:

The next U2 studio album(after the one their recording now) will probably come out in 2008 if they keep up the current pace.

They are only contractually obligated to release albums through certain labels as U2.

Meaning they can't break this contract and go put out an album on Capitol records, they are obligated to release this and any following album (up to 4 as the contract says) thru Universal/Interscope.

SO if they ended the band after this album and tour they are not contractually obligated or FORCED to go record 4 more albums. It's just IF they do record an album it has to go thru Universal/Interscope. That's all it means. At least until that contract expires, which appears to be 4 albums.

U2DMfan said:

Meaning they can't break this contract and go put out an album on Capitol records, they are obligated to release this and any following album (up to 4 as the contract says) thru Universal/Interscope.

That makes a lot more sense...and in regards to being worth $750 million, I guess one needs to take into account that while they may have bought a house for $3 million the pure fact that they slept in it now doubles market value, so yeah $750 million if they sell all their possessions, what is really in their bank account no one will ever know, I don't think they even know, maybe Larry, but yeah...I'm also not completely conviced at this Popmart contract if, Michael was really that naive, then the band had no real reason to stress about the empty seats but rather just enjoy the ride and let things fall into place. Heck when they finally relaxed, the whole thing really took shape, unfortunately that wasn't till near the end of the tour. But if the contract was that good, they still suffered, cause it made them a much higher risk investment for promoters in the future. Regardless I think it's about time they gave us a free tour :p

allergictomiami,

"and in regards to being worth $750 million, I guess one needs to take into account that while they may have bought a house for $3 million the pure fact that they slept in it now doubles market value, so yeah $750 million if they sell all their possessions, what is really in their bank account no one will ever know, I don't think they even know, maybe Larry, but yeah..."

I assure you, the band does not have anything close to 750 Billion dollars in possessions. The combined property that the band owns, houses, apt, etc, is probably less than 100 million based on what I have seen. The vast majority of this is in the bank or invested in some way so as to continuely multiply their wealth year after year in that area.

In the year 2000, the band was colectively wealthier than anyone else in Ireland, with the exception of one business owner. Ireland today, on a per capita basis, is the 3rd richest country on the planet after the USA and Lux..

The band has sold over 120 million albums worldwide. The band recieves a 25% royalty rate on the sale of each album. The highest in the industry I might add.

The past 3 tours have grossed, 143 Million, 171 Million, and 155 million dollars. That excludes money from the sale of merchandice sold on the tours.

"I'm also not completely conviced at this Popmart contract if, Michael was really that naive, then the band had no real reason to stress about the empty seats but rather just enjoy the ride and let things fall into place."

Well you should be because it is a fact. In 1996, Michael Cohl outbid two major firms for the right to promote U2s next tour.

The bands stress came from not being ready to play songs live they had just recorded. This was the primary stress on the early part of the tour. Also, the album was not selling as well as they thought it would in the USA. The stronger attendence for individual concerts as well as concert grosses were on the First leg of the American tour, rather than the third leg of the American tour later that fall.

I have the Attendence and Gross statistics for nearly every single POPMART show from Amusement Business which publishes the Grosses every week from around the world. I have the exact Concert Gross and Attendence for each individual leg of the tour as well. If you have any questions about attendence for a specific show or leg of the tour as well as Concert Gross, I can answer it.

"But if the contract was that good, they still suffered, cause it made them a much higher risk investment for promoters in the future."

Not really because guess who promoted the Elevation tour? Michael Cohl. Guess who has promoted the only 3 tours to Gross more than POPMART worldwide? Michael Cohl. Guess who promoted Pink Floyds last tour in 1994? Michael Cohl.

The most successful concert touring bands today are Rolling Stones and U2. On a global scale, no other band or artist can match them completely on a worldwide scale.

"Regardless I think it's about time they gave us a free tour :p"

That would be a ticket scalpers dream! The fact is, someone is going to make money. If the artist is unwilling to make the money, then Ticketmaster and Ticket brokers and scalpers will.

I will agree with you that what U2DMfan said about the contracts is probably true.

Sting2 I wasn't aware Michael put on Elevation as well (never cared about these things), and that's actually funny to me...I know the band weren't rehearsed, sales weren't good, but everyone knows artists make most of their cash on the road and that was in the bag, that's all I saying...and yes money invested, that's still too much hard cash, they own the rights to all their songs, that's a lot of money to be made over time I'm sure that's factored in somehow as well as a lot of other things, don't they own stock on Island/Interscope? Nevermind don't answer that...I had no intentions of continuing to ponder their bank accounts as I think we lost the whole point of this conversation. That's why I joked about the free tour, note the smilie...I know scalpers would be all over it cause I saw them be all over the Dave Matthews Central Park show...it's pretty disheartning. But right I get it they're rich bastards and I shouldn't feel sorry for them even if they don't sell a single album next time...and to relate this to the original conversation what this means is they can call it quits whenever and still live like kings w/o having to do any work, it's non-factor and we're still at square one.

"and to relate this to the original conversation what this means is they can call it quits whenever and still live like kings w/o having to do any work, it's non-factor and we're still at square one."

The band had made enough money by the end of the Joshua Tree Tour and album to never have to work again in their lives.

Also, while most artist make more money on tour , lets remember that the band makes around 5 dollars or 25% of the list price off of every album they sale. That means they made nearly 60 million dollars off of the selling nearly 12 million copies of ATYCLB.

what if the album is done... and they just wanna have one last summer to spend with their families before stepping into the media spot light once again.

Good point Convoy. As good a guess as any, and one I actually considered. I think marketing the album the way they did with ATYCLB, including releasing it during the Xmas rush (Sept-Oct) and then playing some warm-up/promo gigs might serve this album well too. We'll see.

I've been thinking that Bono has been too visible for the album to come out soon. I may not be remembering acurately, but it always seemed to me that the band went quiet before an album came out and then WHAM - they're back. It doesn't seem like that could happen at this time. And.... we all know what Bono and Edge look like, isn't the image normally a "surprise", too? I dunno, I have been watching U2 site for the last few months and that is something I hadn't done in the past, so I may just be in a different place:shrug:

Frenchie, if you remember right before ATYCLB Bono was on the Jubilee 2000 thing and doing his thing with "The Million Dollar Hotel". However there was a brief period of inactivity before ATYCLB was released.

listen i think you had all better chill out.why is it everyone has a so called "reliable source" i was in dublin last week and was talking to the taxi driver..so can he now be classed as a reliable source.when the album is ready don't you think u2 will let us know?..and who was talking utter nonsense about this being u2's last album and tour....i think you ought to stay away from drugs as there clearly wasted your brain

Yeah, let's clarify what was said: "last major studio album tour." As in, possibly the last time they tour behind a big studio album.

Quite honestly, my first reaction upon reading this was a very sentimental "Awww, I don't want the band fighting/arguing/disagreeing!" sort of thing. Honestly, when I first heard about the whole AB mess I felt really bad, in my bleeding heart sort of way...:sad: :der:

Well... it's kind of like the difference between an orange. What is that, you say? Well... it's because the vest has no sleeves. I know what you are thinking... that the vest still keeps a man warm, right? Well... not as warm as a wool sweater on a chilly Irish afternoon.

-username.

No problem. So many people are talking out their arses lately that I kinda felt left out. So... I joined in. I feel much better now that I have conformed.

-username

Well I'd understand it if there will be a point when they won't feel like doing it anymore (I wouldn't blame them if they cut it right after Elevation tour), or if Bono's voice will someday give in, or if his activism should put too much anger between them, but I don't think they'd put an album out and not tour it. (I also remembered Bono saying he doesn't think they'd be playing live at the age of/after 60) When it's over, it's 100% over IMO.

I think that they will go on and finish the 3rd decade, and then they will start thinking what next. Depends on their motivation, success/relevance and how Bono's voice is doing by then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom