The Acrobat problem - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:04 PM
At least I hope that Edge will give us a proper reason why the song hasn't been played live.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
At least I hope that Edge will give us a proper reason why the song hasn't been played live.
Come on man they just don't seem to want to play it. But I do think they will eventually play it, if not on this tour then definitely in future tours.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 03:04 PM
I do like Acrobat (maybe not in my 10 favorites U2 songs but close ... Achtung Baby is my favorite album), and unfortunately, I doubt it will be performed during the next tour. It is a shame it was not performed more during the Zoo TV tour (I have a live recording, don't remember if it was an actual show or a rehearsal, maybe the Hershey tapes). But ask yourself how many people who enjoy U2's music but are not necessarily fans do know about Acrobat and do like that song? At each gig, at least 30 to 50% of the audience is not a U2 fanatic like us Interferencers are. The 40-50 songs performed over the next tour (25 per show, but 40-50 over the whole tour), for the most part, will be tracks from the two Best Of's, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It sucks for us (okay, not that much), U2 fans.

-Cyril
Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyril
The 40-50 songs performed over the next tour (25 per show, but 40-50 over the whole tour), for the most part, will be tracks from the two Best Of's, ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
-Cyril

Where did you get al this information from??
Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #50
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx
I just can't comprehend why they won't play it. It doesn't seem too complicated to play...I play it on guitar and it isn't hard at all.
That's true, but I think it's the ambient of the song that's making it not suitable for live performances. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, one of their best songs ever!

To take a cup, to fill it up,

to drink it slow, can't let you go.

I just love that part.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #51
The Fly

Phommel, my comment on the 40-50 songs played over a tour is just based on U2's touring history. Also, I remember before the start of the Elevation tour, when they were rehearsing in Dublin, Edge said something like they had 40 songs ready for the tour. For this tour, we shall see. I guess it will depends how much they vary the setlists.

-Cyril
Old 09-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Personally, I think Acrobat is a good song but I'm not clammering for it live. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that it has only been done in rehearsals and never at a show. Its kind of like one of those holy grail songs as a result. I think Red Hill Mining Town is the same way. A full complete live version of Drowning Man would be awesome also. But lets face it, they probebly will never be done and the band has their reasons.

At least we know they will play most of the new album. Thats what I look forward to every tour. Hearing the new stuff live.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #53
The Fly

If I remember correctly, the band would not play Red Hill because Bono couldn't hit the high notes... Acrobat could be for the same reason, who knows.

Well, as long as they bring back "40" as the closer, I'll be happy!

Edge, you copy?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Acrobat isn't meant to be played live.. and I'm pretty sure most of the people who go to live concerts don't know Acrobat well... plus its one of the things that keeps Achtung Baby special.. they may have done live versions of One, UTEOTW and some of the other songs that sound better than the studio versions, but then theres the non-big hit songs which really what brings AB a cut above the rest
Old 10-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #55
Refugee

ACROBAT...this song is one of my fave U2 songs. the song is a phenomenal mindblowing experience. at the beginning of the song i see the dark clouds before a heavy storm and i feel the anger of desperation. the edge solo is the best he has delivered together with THE FLY. the angry sound of his guitar let me think on the noise of a derailing train (good metaphor and perfect support of the lyrics) and at the end his guitar is winding up in spirals to the happy end. adams bass and larrys drumming style with the machinegunlike break is so amazing...wonderful!
ACROBAT is THE KING of ACHTUNG BABY the album that has a song for every possible situatian in ones life. hey, and we are all acrobats aren't we???

does anybody know whether its true that The Edge came up with the first idea to ACROBAT during soundcheck on nov.10-11 at Western Springs Stadium, Auckland / New Zealand ???
Old 10-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #56
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
And Axver - I think you do exaggerate with your setlist comments. Acrobat could easily be played on ZooTV, like any other AB song. I would put it between Ultra Violet and Love is Blindness, where it belongs, and move With or Without You after Desire.
Thing is, I think in U2's view, adding Acrobat without removing another song would have made the setlist too long. Plus, U2 rarely play songs live in the same order they appear on the CD, especially not three in a row (the only example I can think of where that happened was a JT tour show where they played Streets/Still Haven't Found/WOWY/40 as an encore). I think we all need to accept that U2 had their reasons for not playing Acrobat on ZooTV. They were the ones who practiced it, not us.

There's always a song or songs that aren't played live from each album. The only album U2 have played every song from live is Boy, and that was back in the day when U2 didn't have much else to perform. Also, if a song isn't played on the tour promoting the album it's on, a 25-year-long pattern says it will never be played. The song that comes closest to defying that pattern is Tomorrow, which was played 31 times but only two of those were on the October tour.

Look, I hope they do play Acrobat. I love the song and I would explode if they played it live. But I'm fairly confident in my opinion that U2 will never play it, and they had their reasons for not playing it on ZooTV. Can't change the past now, can we?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #57
Acrobat

Nearly every album has a song that you would just die to hear live...

My top three are Hawkmoon 269, Acrobat, and When I look at the World.

Hawkmoon never got its due. What a waste of a great rock song.

AJ
Old 10-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk269
Nearly every album has a song that you would just die to hear live...

My top three are Hawkmoon 269, Acrobat, and When I look at the World.

Hawkmoon never got its due. What a waste of a great rock song.

AJ
I actually like the live version of Hawkmoon from the Lovetown tour. Granted its different from the album version. But its interesting and at least its full band and not acoustic. It was actually played quite a bit on the Australian leg of that tour.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Acrobat should have been the comeback from the b-stage in ZOO TV, making the bridge to Bullet in the last "grind you down" part (hitting Bullet in DOWN)
Old 10-01-2004, 08:44 PM   #60
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985

The "meditate in a tree" story is true. I was there when it happened. It was DC June 14, 2001. I was standing about 4 people down from the girl this happened to. If you hear a boot you will probably hear it just before "Stuck" which he sang as a replacement birthday song for the girl.