The Acrobat problem - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 AM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:07 PM
I can live without Acrobat if they could just play Ultraviolet again like the good old Zoo TV days. Please Edge if you can see this then i'm begging you man to bring that incredible song back to the tour.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:07 PM
See what I'm talking about?!

Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Maybe they should do 'Springsteen-sets' !! That would be great, playing for 3,5 - 4 hours ...
Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

4 hours of U2 in concert
Old 09-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #35
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:07 AM
personally I would say that just about every song that gets mentioned in threads like these in all reality never sounded as good live as they did on the album

I would guess that they never performed Acrobat live because they reckoned it just didn't work (your opinion based on some bootleg of the band rehearsing may differ, but perhaps that's why you're not a member of one of the greatest band this word has ever seen )

if songs had to be brought back I would mainly look at War and October
songs like Surrender, Two Hearts Beat as One, Rejoice and I Fall Down were great live and have aged well
I can see why they dropped these during the Joshua Tree tour since they wouldn't fit in the set list, but perhaps with a slightly more rocking album coming our way it would be possible again

or not
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-28-2004, 02:51 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2valleygirl
I love Acrobat and would be so happy to hear it live. But, no offense, maybe it has too many words for Bono to remember.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #37
The Fly

i reckon the only way we'll ever all be happy is if we chain U2 to the stage and make them play through every album and every track they ever made

something for everyone that way :
Old 09-28-2004, 03:22 AM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by di_g
i reckon the only way we'll ever all be happy is if we chain U2 to the stage and make them play through every album and every track they ever made

something for everyone that way :
That can be the concert that dalkey (T_e E_g_) asked us if we wanted for interference members.

The band play everything ever recorded.how long will that take?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:31 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

An Interference fan concert....excellent. Hopefully in the midwest like originally suggested since that's where I live and am too poor to go anywhere else other than New England
Old 09-28-2004, 05:15 AM   #40
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by brownda7

That can be the concert that dalkey (T_e E_g_) asked us if we wanted for interference members.

well lets put it this way - if i set my entire u2 collection playing before i go to sleep its always still running when i wake up so thats a loooooong time. sure there are best ofs in there and b-sides but i would still give it a good 10 hours maybe!

the mother of all concerts!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:28 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brownda7

If they played full song versions, it would take a very, very longer time. I tried to listen to all my studio released (including R&H) CDs on a drive up to Cape Cod (9 hours) and I didn't get through all of them. I'd be willing to sit through a concert, though.

As far as Acrobat, I would love to hear it live/see it live, but I wonder if part of the great fasination with it is that it never has been performed live. And we get teasing statements like Bono and Edge having to meditate in a tree to play it. It creates a lot of interes and mystery around it. I think we stand a good chance of being disappointed by it, if we ever did hear it played live.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:11 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You misunderstood. 90% of U2 fans that I PERSONALLY know have that song in the top 10 list. And the thing is - I understand your frustration that songs like In A Little While or Gloria are probably never going to be played again, BUT, and that's a big but, people, Acrobat was never played. Never.
Let me tell you a story from my town when a friend of mine had a promotion of this book that dealt with Ireland. During the presentation, U2 songs were played. Acrobat was one of them. There was a big ovation in the hall - even bigger than the regular classics, like Pride or Still Haven't Found. It's a hidden gem in the U2 catalogue. A classic song. And many people think that.
And Axver - I think you do exaggerate with your setlist comments. Acrobat could easily be played on ZooTV, like any other AB song. I would put it between Ultra Violet and Love is Blindness, where it belongs, and move With or Without You after Desire.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mr The Edge... read this carefully

for the acoustic part, in the B-Stage...

New Year's Day and Acrobat...

and that's how you let to a masive orgasm... think about that

PS: COME TO CHILE!!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 AM   #44
War Child

Quote:
And we get teasing statements like Bono and Edge having to meditate in a tree to play it.
Sorry to be so stupid...
so the meditate-in-a-tree comment was about Acrobat?!

Wow...so maybe it's just so powerful to them that they can't bring themselves to play it live...
that's heavy!

Now I'm really curious but it feels like it might be too personally probing to ask The Edge if it's merely that they don't think it would work well/ be too challenging to perform live,
or if it's just not something they want to give to a live audience.

There's gotta be stuff they can't give, so if that's true it was a great gift to share it on an album.
I can imagine it might even satisfy an important need to hold something back, cause what they do is so soul-exposing in the first place...I'd want to let them have it without asking for it anymore if that were the case...

I'm sad now somehow...
come down off the vertigo thing at least, so that's good!

cheers all!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 AM   #45
Babyface

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Surprisingly and unjustly overlooked track. I really don't understand why they never played it live. (same goes for When I Look At The World) What a great mix of furious and tightly coiled intensity and great lyrics.