The Achtung/Zoo-Era Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
If a thread dedicated to the appreciation of Heartland can get almost 500 replies, surely one dedicated to the appreciation of the brilliance, darkness, and other-worldliness that is the Achtung/Zoo-Era(AB and singles, ZooTV, Zooropa and singles) can get even more.

I've just listened to AB all the way through and then Zooropa all the way through and it never ceases to amaze me how mind-blowingly brilliant this stuff is.

So use this thread to appreciate any and all albums, songs, singles, b-sides, ZooTV performances, etc etc from the Achtung/Zo-Era.

Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
ALL OF THE ABOVE :drool: :drool: :drool:

Zooropa
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

ZooTV
The Fly
Macphisto
Mirrorball Man
Everything You Know Is Wrong
Watch More TV
Edge's greatest beanie ever, the black one with the white drawings on it

etc etc etc

You've hijacked the:drool: but I agree, even though I doubt it'll receive as many replies but the overwhelming power of it all has me:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: with liberal doses of:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I absolutely love Achtung Baby..A very beautiful, very swoon-inducing album. It's one of my favorite albums. Bono's voice is hot, Edge's guitar rocks like hell, Adam's bass is awesome and Larry's drumming is...I just can't describe it....

It's a mesmerizing album.

It's my favorite album ever, I rediscovered So Cruel last night, one of Bonos best lyrical moments and the more said about the correlation between :rockon: and the solo in The Fly the better

Achtung Baby is the most 'real' U2 album and the bravest. The stakes were so high and they had a lot to lose and also prove. Lyrically the songs just flow so naturally - i think its them at their most revealing.

Achtung Baby is the best album ever.
Pop is the most underrated album ever.
Zooropa is the most "fuck you, we'll do whatever we want to" album ever.
The Fly and ZooTV Bullet are the best rock songs ever.
Lemon is Bono's best vocal performance ever.
Adam has the biggest dick ever.

WinnieThePoo said:
Achtung Baby - Zooropa - POP

best trilogy ever
yes

mikal said:
there's no words to describe how great those years were.
yes

ahh fuck it, just imagine me quoting everyone and saying yes

i loved that era :drool: :drool: i'm glad i at least got to see them during popmart but geez i wish i'd been able to see the zoo tv tour, i bet that was something. my aunt got to see them twice (the dc show and uhh...did they baltimore or something?) and she told me how great the concerts were. i think they even went to orlando that tour, which was where i lived at the time. :mad: but me, noooo, i went and saw new kids instead :der:

Achtung Baby :drool: :drool: :drool:

and I have a newfound appreciation for Zooropa.

Overall, So Cruel is arguably my favorite U2 song!!! :drool:

Achtung Baby/Zoo TV/Zooropa will never be topped. Never even be equaled. They stand alone at the pinnacle of U2's past.

The Fly, The Mirrorball Man, Macphisto...name another singer and frontman who could create all three of those characters -- in the same tour, no less -- and get away with it. And what other band could combine Trabants, satellite hook-ups to war-torn Sarajevo, and gold platform shoes? What other band could blow smoke at their own image, and smirk at all the ones who scratched their heads in puzzlement, who just didn't get it?

And we owe it all to Achtung Baby.

Achtung Baby...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. :drool: :drool: :drool:

1. Zoo Station. Best opening track ever. Yes, that includes Streets. Zoo Station wins. And my god, to hear this song played live again...I can hardly wait until Chicago so I can hear it for myself.

2. Even Better Than the Real Thing. Love the video, love the catchy chorus, love the "I want to make love to you" throaty whisper at the 0:55 mark. Well, Bono, if that's what you want, okay! :drool:

3. One. Emotional, moving, haunting. One of the best songs ever written, by any band. Three brilliant videos. Lyrics that touch your heart no matter who you are, and what you are going through.

4. Until the End of the World. I once scored this song a 9.5 on the album, and a perfect 10 live. I can give it no higher praise.

5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. I find myself singing scraps of this song at odd times. The words keep coming back to me. I don't know why. I just know I love the song.

6. So Cruel. Bitter, dark, depressing as hell, and a great song. "I'm only hanging on to watch you go down." That line still gives me shivers, thirteen and a half years later.

7. The Fly. Oh the Fly. :drool: :drool: One of the best Edge solos ever. A kickass rhythm section. A soaring falsetto. Snarling lyrics. A phone call from hell, indeed. It doesn't get much better than this.

8. Mysterious Ways. I went through a phase when I was sick to death of this song, because I always heard it on the radio. Now I wonder what the hell was the matter with me. A great song accompanied by a nifty video.

9. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World. I love the imagery in this song, a man so undone by the world around him that all he can do is stagger drunkenly back home. "Sunrise like a nosebleed."

10. Ultraviolet (Light My Way). Baby baby baby. It took me a while to warm up to this song. All that "baby" stuff seemed excessive. Now I love it. I fiercely defend it.

11. Acrobat. :drool: My second favorite U2 song of all time. The greatest drum playing by Larry Mullen Jr. ever. Wonderful lyrics that cut deep enough to draw blood.

12. Love is Blindness. A perfect album closer. Beautiful when played live. Dark, brooding, reminds us all that there aren't always happy endings.

djerdap said:
Achtung Baby is the best album ever.
Pop is the most underrated album ever.
Zooropa is the most "fuck you, we'll do whatever we want to" album ever.
The Fly and ZooTV Bullet are the best rock songs ever.
Lemon is Bono's best vocal performance ever.

YEAH

Adam has the biggest dick ever.

WTF??????

You didn't get me: EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG

Last edited:
Acrobat has the best drumming ever.
Acrobat has the best chorus ever.
Elevation sucks.
Acrobat has a fantastic guitar solo.
Acrobat has the biggest percentage of people jerking off to a song ever(according to unofficial sources).

Live versions of Love is Blindness have the best guitar solo ever.
Dirty Day kicks ass live.
Pop has The Playboy Mansion in its tracklist(talking about a Trojan Horse...)
Elevation sucks.
Discotheque-Do You Feel Loved-Mofo is easily the best rocking opening to a U2 album.
Mysterious Ways live. Enough said. There is no studio version, folks.

ZooTV is the best tour ever.
Popmart is the most improved tour ever(from a Las Vegas disaster to a fantastic Santiago performance...what a journey).
Elevation sucks.
Miami-Bullet-Please-Streets combo is the rockiest, most epic U2 live act ever made.
Bad/Dirty Day-Bullet-Running-Streets is the most spectacular U2 combo ever.

djerdap said:
Mysterious Ways live. Enough said. There is no studio version, folks.

Amen to this. :up:

Bad/Dirty Day-Bullet-Running-Streets is the most spectacular U2 combo ever.

And this. Dirty Day on Zoo TV Sydney is to die for. :drool: :drool:

I'm talking about the infamous Achtung Baby cover. It's a joke.

Here's mine:

Zooropa is best album opener.(like Streets but a bluer kind of white beats it)
One live.
UTEOTW live.
Desire on ZOO TV.
The Fly is the best U2 ever.
Love is Blindness is the best concert closer.(don't include Elvis' cover)
Acrobat, nothing more.
Lemon, song about a t-shirt. Perfect
Elevation sucks.
Daddy's gonna and Some days are great.

Can we keep this free of Pop-talk? I don't want that ever-so-controversial record causing any sort of convo that could infect and/or ruin this thread. Achtung/Zoo-Era Appreciation!

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses(Temple Bar Remix) :drool:
Can't Help Falling In Love was the greatest concert closer U2 ever did.

Imas sliku adama golog sprijeda na achtung baby coveru.

Where was I?

Last Night on Earth rocks live.
Popmart versions of Streets are not from this planet.
Zoo Station is the best concert opener ever.
Elevation REALLY sucks.
Until the End of the World ending... :drool:
Adam has more alcohol in his blood than chords in his head on a rainy Sydney night, November 26th 1993
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms(live versions) is the ultimate relaxing, drinking song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom