The Achtung/Zoo-Era Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who´s gonna ride your wild horses :bow:

Achtung baby :drool:

Goodnight Interference :wave: See u tomorrow

"I don't know what Zoo TV's about, so it must be ours."

"I don't think the lyrics are worth a shit to be honest. It's all about drums."

"This is Mr. Macphisto. I'd like to call a cab to take me home."

:bow: :bow: :bow:

ZOO TV AND ACHTUNG BABY RULES!! I just watched my first zoo tv show on DVD (the Sydney one). And I have 3 more to watch (washington, sweden and Adelaide). I cant wait to see those too! I never thought that the shows were so mind blowing!!

The way the EBTTRT, WGRYWH, MW, and The Fly single covers come together to make one big picture :drool:

puzz.jpg

Incidentally, has anyone ever noticed that if you take standalone pictures of the EBTTRT and WGRYWH covers and try to put them together, the top the car on one and the top of the car on the other don't line up right?

The falsetto at the end of Zoo TV Mysterious Ways. "I'll show you things/I'll show you places/You've never seen." :drool: :drool: :drool:

Ah, my favorite U2 "era." :up:

To get the shallow/fangirly thing out of the way... Bono was smoking hot back then. There was just something so darkly sexy about him then... Um, yeah, that makes no sense. Okay. Moving on. ;)

Achtung Baby is sheer brilliance. My favorite album ever (apart from The Unforgettable Fire). Dark, sexy, haunting... gah. I really can't coherently describe how much I love this era. I don't think everything they did in that time period was PERFECT and without mistakes, but what they DID accomplish was pretty incredible. Awesome stuff. They managed to take their previous public "image" and completely turn it inside out.

I so wish I could've gone to a Zoo TV show. My only regret is that I was 6 when it was all going on. WHY, God, why? LOL.

Last edited:
best era ever.

but 'elevation' is better than anything on any of those albums... :sexywink:

JOINING THE PARTY LATE

This is the greatest thread about the greatest era on the greatest website about the greatest band in the history of the universe.

ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG ACHTUNG BABY ZOO TV WATCH MORE TV ZOOROPA EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG

Can I crash this party again to say that the Zoochtung era is the worst U2 era ever? :wink:

miss becky said:
2. Even Better Than the Real Thing. Love the video, love the catchy chorus, love the "I want to make love to you" throaty whisper at the 0:55 mark. Well, Bono, if that's what you want, okay! :drool:

Becky, you really are an Achtung nut! :hug: In all these years of listening to it literally millions of times, I never knew Bono whispered that at the 0:55 mark. :reject:

Axver said:
Can I crash this party again to say that the Zoochtung era is the worst U2 era ever? :wink:

let me think about it. um........NO! Stop overrating the mediocre lovetown era. (yeah that's right :wink: ) and for God's sake stop using that God awful term Zoochtung. Even Zootung is better.

Zootlesque said:

let me think about it. um........NO! Stop overrating the mediocre lovetown era. (yeah that's right :wink: ) and for God's sake stop using that God awful term Zoochtung. Even Zootung is better.

The term 'Zoochtung' is better than the era it represents. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Becky, you really are an Achtung nut! :hug: In all these years of listening to it literally millions of times, I never knew Bono whispered that at the 0:55 mark. :reject:

Hehehe...I can't take credit for that though. One of the PLEBA girls posted that, so of course I had to break out the headphones and make sure it was true. :D

namkcuR said:
The way the EBTTRT, WGRYWH, MW, and The Fly single covers come together to make one big picture :drool:

puzz.jpg

Incidentally, has anyone ever noticed that if you take standalone pictures of the EBTTRT and WGRYWH covers and try to put them together, the top the car on one and the top of the car on the other don't line up right?

What a great fucking pic! Thanks for posting that, namkcuR! Those hanging trabants looked so awesome!!! like the pigs from the Wall.

Axver said:

I shall stay put and make sarcastic and exaggerated comments bashing the Zoochtung era! :evil:

Fair enough. But then expect me to do the same in your Lovetown thread. :macdevil:

Actually, if I may make a serious post, I understand that before the Outside Broadcast leg of Zoo, there was a story that U2 were rehearsing God Part II and Acrobat for that leg. That would have been such an incredible combination. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw a God Part III hanging around here.

That is absolutely one of the best screen names on this site.

Interesting how some people have different views on this period. I'm sure Axver still enjoys this period of U2, but quite often the misconseption I hear is how Lovetown/Joshua Tree was all about the music and ZooTV was not. I feel that the ZooTV show served to enhance the music.

For those that have been:

'The Fly' How cool were the flashing words on screen.

'Mysterious Ways' The belly dancer bit served to enhance the meaning of that song.

'Pride' How meaningful was the Martin Luther King speech on screen, sent shivers down my spine.

'Bullet The Blue Sky' How awesome was it when the rockets started exploding onto the screen, and the stage lit up red and filled with smoke. Even the images of burning crosses turning to the Nazi symbol and Bono saying 'never let it happen again'. If that doesnt bring meaning to the song, I dont know what does.

'Until the End of The World' This one song had probably the best light show I had every seen.

'Lemon and Daddys Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car' How awesome was this seeing Bono sing it in character as Mr. Machpisto.

'One' Dedicated to the people of Sarajevo, all translations of One coming up on screen and the crowd asked to hold their lighters in the air like a vigil.

'Streets' Once again the red screen and bright lights, awesome. Especially on such a large scale.

'Running to Stand Still' Wow. Playing the character of a drug addict. They turned this into a gospel son.

These are just some of the great performances of Zoo, and there were many more. I fail to see how any of this cannot be percieved as great, and the show and screens were brilliantly used to enhance the songs. I dont see how you could not agree with this.

The only negative thing for zoo is the static setlists, but unless you were someone who went to 10 concerts and downloaded every bootleg, that wouldnt really matter. Even so, they did have a few setlist changes throughout the tour.

Sken

Axver said:

I'll sacrifice you to God Part II. :wink:

Well, seeing as how I worship the devil (albeit one wearing gold platform shoes), your threats of sacrifice mean nothing to me. :wink:

Axver said:
Actually, if I may make a serious post, I understand that before the Outside Broadcast leg of Zoo, there was a story that U2 were rehearsing God Part II and Acrobat for that leg. That would have been such an incredible combination. :drool:

Oh my god... :combust: That would have been Larry's finest hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom