The Achtung Baby House of Worship #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Hey all, I'm bored and feel ill and stressed SO am starting another Worship session for the greatness of AB!

I totally love Mysterious Ways...

Adam's bass is doing something totally different on that song, and I love that bass-thingy. :wink: vocabulary lost today..
ACHTUNG BABY!
Too many great songs!

these AB appreciation threads (this the 1,034 version) never get old.

Always say the same thing, its the G.O.A.T.

You bury your treasure
Where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret
That's been passed around
There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no one can sleep
I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap
:drool:

from an ex-U2 hater:

"I will admit i was an avid U2-hater in the late 80's when they were the biggest thing since sliced bread. However, I will never, ever, forget being at a college party and hearing the song "One" and thinking that was one of the best songs I had ever heard. I really do not think they make songs better than that. Anyway, that song led me to reluctanlty buy the album. From there i bought every album they made in the 80's and suddenly i was a U2 fanatic. Was it because this album was that good or was it because my musical tastes finally matured? Probably a little of both. Achtung Baby is perhaps the best album ever created in the history of music. To think they put this together only 4 years after the Joshua Tree is just unbelievable. Name another band that completely ripped apart everything that was working for them and reassembled themselves to produce such a masterpiece in 4 years time? I cannot think of any..."

It is...Acthung Baby is the best creation in the history of music

:bow:

AB was (and is) a diamond among cubic zirconias. They may appear equal at first, but upon closer inspection, AB is priceless and the others are pure shit.

(I love it when I get all eloquent. :lol: )

Wow, great stuff here! *grins*

And yeah there are loads of AB appreciation threads but mine is clearly the best, y'know. ;)

Nube Gris said:
from an ex-U2 hater:

......Name another band that completely ripped apart everything that was working for them and reassembled themselves to produce such a masterpiece in 4 years time? I cannot think of any..."

It is...Acthung Baby is the best creation in the history of music

:bow:

Perfectly Said...

yay! another Achtung Baby worship service!

what a coincidence...i've been listening to AB over and over again lately.

i just want to express my new-found love for So Cruel. I used to hate this song, but i realized i never really gave it a chance. I judged it before i got to know this song. i have to admit the beginning of the song starts kinda slow, but it gets so much better as the song progresses. i love the sound of the edge's guitar humming low then progressively getting louder and more urgent...and i love how bono's voice sounds so pleading and the lyrics are so poetic...

"You put your lips to her lips
To stop the lie"

"Between the horses of love and lust we are trampled underfoot."

:heart:

Haven't seen you in quite a while
I was down the hold just passing time
Last time we met it was a low lit room
We were close together as a bride and a groom
We ate the food, we drank the wine
Everybody having a good time
Except you
You were talking about the end of the world...
:drool: :drool: :drool: :bow: :bow:

:edge:!!!!!!!!!

I would like to worship a third of Achtung.

One big :bow: to Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness. Four of the best songs ever made in the history of mankind. :drool:

I'd also like to give an :up: to Mysterious Ways, and Zoo Station and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses are great live, and Even Better Than The Real Thing is really catchy.

I was initially going to avoid mentioning One but I feel compelled to say that it was exceptional at Popmart Sarajevo. Otherwise? It's best left unsaid on this thread. :wink:

Axver said:
I was initially going to avoid mentioning One but I feel compelled to say that it was exceptional at Popmart Sarajevo. Otherwise? It's best left unsaid on this thread. :wink:

Yep, definitely leave it unsaid in my lovely house of worship. :p Other worshipping was much appreciated though.

Recent Convert

I am a recent convert of this majestic album. I am really into Tryin' To Throw your arms around the worldTryin' to Throw your Arms Around the World also WGRYWH. It rocks too.

I am not sure on either question. As to why anyone could dislike one, it boggles my mind. I mean the song was number 27 on the greatest 500 rock and roll songs of all time in Rolling Stone.

But why a fish needs a bicycle has confounded me!

A fish DOESN'T need a bicycle. That's the whole point. The saying "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" means a woman doesn't need a man. You see?

lardence said:
A fish DOESN'T need a bicycle. That's the whole point. The saying "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" means a woman doesn't need a man. You see?

:lmao: I thought that was a pretty obvious line!

I'm ready for the shuffle
ready for the deal
ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready...

ready for the greatest album ever!

thetitans2k said:
1. Why is Axver such a hater on "one"?

I don't hate One. In fact, as I said, it was exceptional at Popmart Sarajevo. I'd consider it one of the four highest points of the night (the other three being Mofo, Discotheque, and that immortal rendition of Please).

I also love some performances with the "do you hear us coming Lord?" verse. One of the main reasons I'm not so keen on the album version is because the song is incomplete without that verse. (Same applies to WOWY and Shine Like Stars.)

But with that verse, at Popmart Sarajevo? Brilliance. Island should re-release Achtung with that replacing the current One. :wink:

With or Without You is 10 times better with that shine like stars verse.

One was absolutely sensational at Slane, it's the only live performance I've heard but it was very good.

Achtung Baby - Acrobat is currently my favourite song, followed by Ultra Violet (Light My Way) and Until the End of the World. But I'd just like to say that I really, really like Zoo Station! It's now a 4/5 for me.

Zoo Station - 4
Even Better Than the Real Thing - 3.5
One - 4
Until the End of the World - 4.5
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 4
So Cruel - 3.5
The Fly - 4
Mysterious Ways - 4
TTTYATW - 3
Ultra Violet - 5
Acrobat - 5
Love is Blindness - 4

pookybear said:
I :bow: Achtung Baby.

right on. enough said.
=)

yay

have you guys read "U2 at the end of the world" by bill flanagan? the beginning talks about the making of achtung baby and all that went on within the group at that time. it's really interesting.
here's a quote that i like:

[they were having trouble naming it]

"Adam said that if they use this as the sleeve they should call the record Man - the logical sequel to their first album, Boy. Edge thinks it might be funnier to go with the nude shot and call the album Adam, in tribute to both their bassist and the first mortal (who was also the first man to get kicked out of his home and into a cruel world")."

=)

Back
Top Bottom