The ACHTUNG BABY Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
OK, this is the first album I heard of U2's way back in 92. Everything I like about U2, all the money I've spent on them...it all started here, with Achtung Baby...I own all of their albums, and loads of singles, imports, and bootlegs(My 100 CD book is almost entirely U2!)...and you know what...this is still the best. It sounds as fresh and as innovative as it did 10 years ago. I know the band picked up a lot of fans with this CD, and I was one of them. I've bought every CD since on the release day. What can I say, I'm obsessed!

There's not a bad song on that album..can we say it's perfect, or would that be meglomaniacal??
Zoo Station-techno grunge from the band of the 80s..the lead track to the new U2
Even Better-the first time I really ever noticed one of their videos on MTV..this was it...very plastic!
One-quite possibly some of the best lyrics ever written. My favorite song, period.
Until The End Of The World-also some of my favorite lyrics by Bono, and the guitar kicks ass.
Wild Horses-yes, the remix is slightly better, but this song is definitely not the "wallpaper" music I've seen it referred to as here before
So Cruel-more powerful lyrics. cool bass line, too.
The Fly-a song I didn't appreciate at first, but by far one of U2's best
Mysterious Ways-The least dark moment on Achtung Baby, and it got the band back on mainsteam radio. Great live song
Arms Around The World-underrated song about, well I'm sure it has to do with drinking..
Ultraviolet-one of U2s best non-single songs. Very simple catchy chorus with some very deep lyrics. One of my favorite songs.
Acrobat-we all know why this one is good!
Love Is Blindness-if you listen to this song late at night, it becomes even more haunting and beautiful.....

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

[This message has been edited by njf77 (edited 11-29-2001).]

In my opinion it's the best album ever made. Which means nothing since that statement is so objective.

The album is hands down perfect. And it means a great deal to me.

It came out just in time to lead me through my teens, it was one of the few albums that felt like it was speakign directly inside me. I've played it so much now that I have almost every litte noise memorized and I Still find new things in it as I grow older and have new experiences.

Most of all, it's the album I usually hook people on U2 with, it's still one of the freshest albums around.

My sentiments exactly! I love the abundance of guitars and heavy lyrics.

ZOOTV was also a stroke of genius.

------------------
"Mock the devil and he will flee from thee."

"The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked." - Thomas More

Achtung Baby for me personally is U2's benchmark, comprises all their best qualities and so much more...

my favorite U2 album! achtung baby rocks my socks!!!!
smile.gif

baby, baby, baby, light my way...

------------------
"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

[This message has been edited by madonna's child (edited 11-30-2001).]

AB was the album that got me in to U2 and coincidentally, its still one of their best.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

mmm. Achtung Baby. The words conjure up images of the loud, the distorted, the yearning, the pulsing, the energy... From one song to the next the lyrics flow seamlessly and so does the music. And that is what moves it from being a "good" album to being a "great" one. It's a complete work, one that expresses a continuity of ideas and images, one that pushed boundaries, and one that still feels as fresh today as it ever did.

-sula

Achtung Baby will alwaysbe my favourite album. It's the only album I've ever heard and totally loved every single song.

i totally love this album. it was that one album i remember listening to when i wasn't exactly U2-obssessed yet, w/c was just recently.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by njf77:
Arms Around The World-underrated song about, well I'm sure it has to do with drinking..

a question though. njf77, was Arms Arnd the World about drinking?

and uh, i was listening to the zoo tv dublin 93 boot when they were performing this song. does anybody know why bono mentioned adam when he sang, "...like clayton needs a handycam"? and was it just me or did he also say "naomi"? if anyone has got answers, pls let me know. I AM SO INTRIGUED!
confused.gif
the live version rocks!

[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 11-30-2001).]

Originally posted by dizzy:

and uh, i was listening to the zoo tv dublin 93 boot when they were performing this song. does anybody know why bono mentioned adam when he sang, "...like clayton needs a handycam"? and was it just me or did he also say "naomi"? if anyone has got answers, pls let me know. I AM SO INTRIGUED!
confused.gif
the live version rocks!

it's cuz Naomi was at that show, and I believe Bono pulled her up onstage and gave her the handycam and of course she went to film Adam with it.
smile.gif

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
it's cuz Naomi was at that show, and I believe Bono pulled her up onstage and gave her the handycam and of course she went to film Adam with it.
smile.gif

-sula

thanks sula!!! just what i thought.
wink.gif
so i guess that was the time they were engaged and bono started 'singing' the wedding march.

Hooray for my most favorite album ever! I love AB, dark, sexy, gritty, great kick-ass tunes! YEAH! UTEOTW- ugh, definitely one of my all time faves.

I can't do anything else but agree with what you all have said.
Achtung Baby was the album that got me into U2 but it could have been a quick ending. I had never ever heard of U2 until June -92. Some argumentations about U2 among my friends made me borrow the album and after about 10-15 sec into Zoo station I was ready to turn it off and go back to not knowing who U2 were. But since the love of my life was a U2 fan I gave it a chanse and after listening through the entire album twice I was blown away and had found something I had never found in music before.

What amaze me most about that album as some already have mentioned is that even if I have listened to that album so the cd almost is worn out I still find new things in it and it feels fresh, could just have been recorded today. And the lyrics, OMG, the lyrics... They are the most amazing ever written...

So, I just simply love Achtung Baby!
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by dizzy:
i totally love this album. it was that one album i remember listening to when i wasn't exactly U2-obssessed yet, w/c was just recently.
biggrin.gif

a question though. njf77, was Arms Arnd the World about drinking?

confused.gif
the live version rocks!

[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 11-30-2001).]

I dug this up........
From Into The Heart:
It revives "The Fly", presenting this timefrom a somewhat more sympathetic guy who goes out on the town and finds himself staggering home in the early hours like a lost soul

Bono:"It's a song about drunk ambition, as in I'll be home soon.There's just warmth in that image."

It was inspired by L.A. nightlife, and the time the band spent there in '86....

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

Originally posted by njf77:
I dug this up........
From Into The Heart:
It revives "The Fly", presenting this timefrom a somewhat more sympathetic guy who goes out on the town and finds himself staggering home in the early hours like a lost soul

Bono:"It's a song about drunk ambition, as in I'll be home soon.There's just warmth in that image."

It was inspired by L.A. nightlife, and the time the band spent there in '86....

thanks Nate! what the hell...i just got that book too
biggrin.gif
, but haven't the time to read everything just yet. but that's interesting. i'll read it once i get home.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom