The 4th Single: City of Blinding Lights or Miracle Drug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Alright, considering the shows U2 have played since way back when in October and the first 3 singles, which will be the 4th? I think we can narrow it down to either Miracle Drug or COBL. COBL was played on the very first HTDAAB promo show (Top of the Pops). COBL and Miracle Drug were played at the next show (CD:UK). Miracle Drug was played at the amazing HQ Radio 1 Show on November 16, and both songs were played at the Empire Fullon Show in New York on November 22. No other songs besides the already announced HTDAAB singles and I Will Follow have been played more frequently.

Miracle Drug is a pretty good radio song (i think): It's short (less than 4 mins) with a nice chorus that changes each time. COBL is a long song but on the TOTP performance, which the band mimed, we heard an edited (single?) version of the song.

Which one will be the 4th single?

I think City Of Blinding Lights will be 4th and Original of the species will be 5th.

I really hope it's Love And Peace Or Else and a single version/radio edit. I'd love that.

Honestly though, if you really get down to it, it could be any of them. Miracle Drug, Love And Peace, A Man And A Woman (for the adult contemporary stations), City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of The Species, Crumbs (hey, it was on the dvd!)....

Yahweh said:
I think City Of Blinding Lights will be 4th and Original of the species will be 5th.

I agree, for North America anyways, I don't know about Europe and the others.

I defintely think they will have 5 singles in N. America because of All Because of You already going to radio and video so early.

Miracle Drug would have to compete with COBL for that other slot.

I think Original Of the Species is a sure fire single, probably the last one from the album.

I have a feeling either Miracle Drug or City of blinding lights won't be a single.

Aardvark747 said:
OOTS will probably be the next one. And it wont get the recognition it deserves.:(

actually i think that's a bit overrated: it wouldn't get recognition because it doesn't deserve much...Miracle Drug would be the perfect radio single off HTDAAB (besides Vertigo and maybe ABOY or AMAAW): it's less than 4 minutes long and gets to the climax in the first minute

Last edited:
i think miracle drug will surely be the 4th single, and love peace or else will be never released as single, though it would rock, i hope they'll release it! but actually there's 12 singles!

OOTS is a great pop song, with all the makings of a huge single. it will get a lot of airplay.

I don't Miracle Drug will be a single. Original of the Species, but it would be nice having the strings edited away, more radio-friendly, and less overproduced.

I never understood this, but why does a song have to be a single to be played on the radio? Why can't they just have the whole album at radio stations, so they can play any song from it?

I've heard a lot of stories before on that it was a shame that Until the End of the World wasn't released as a single because it would have made a great radio song. But the other day I did hear it on the radio.

City of Blinding Lights... Everyone I've played it to likes it a lot! If it doesn't become a single (which I doubt), they should release as a single in NYC only (j/k). Or at least release the live NYC version as a b-side, because it kicked ass!

Original of the Species/Miracle Drug should also be singles... just not before City of Blinding Lights.

Personally i would love to see fast cars as a single. However i think it will be Original of the Species, which is my second favourite song on the album after fast cars.

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / All Because Of You
4. Miracle Drug
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. A Man And A Woman (America) / Original Of The Species (Rest Of World)

When all is said and done in a couple of years, Original of the Species will be the biggest hit single remembered off the Bomb. I'm taking that to Vegas.

I still believe that if miracle drug is released as a single, it coud become U2's biggest hit off the bomb.

I thought we'd established on here previously that COBL as the third single was a done deal as it would be released in March to coincide with 25 years since they signed their record deal.

From atu2.com: "March 24, 1980: U2 sign with Island Records

U2 sign first international recording contract with Island Records. Four years, four albums, with three singles to be released in the first year. Contract calls for the band's debut album to be recorded in August for an October release. The deal is binding for all territories except Ireland. In the U.S., U2 will be distributed on the Warner label. Negotiations with CBS, A&M, and EMI had fallen through. Bill Stewart of Island made the offer in dressing room after U2's concert at National Stadium."

However I believe the 24th falls on a Thursday this year which wouldn't be much good.

"Original of the Species" can't be ruled out because it could fit well on radio.......and "A Man And A Woman" could do well on Adult Top 40 stations........I don't know, there's really a lot of potential singles on this album.

Back
Top Bottom