The 4 Disc DVD box due out this summer - details emerge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosleftone

Refugee
There is apparently a box set being planned that is due for release in the next few months. I talked to a friend of mine at Universal and this is what will be in/on it, there should be an official announcement in the next couple of months.

The title is "The U2 Live Compendium"

Disc 1 - Red Rocks Complete
Disc 2 - Zoo TV Sydney
Disc 3 - Popmart Sarajevo
Disc 4 - Elevation Notre Dame

There will also be a 5 Disc box in a metal case like thing that has Dublin 12/31/89 as an additional disc. All discs have extra materials, clips from other gigs, interviews etc. ZooTv, Popmart, and the Elevation discs have PC material with stage schematics and 3D virtual crap.

Dont know release dates or anything but this is whats gonna be on there apparently.

:up: Sounds good to me! Though :yikes: at the price of 4 discs...

I thought we were only getting Sydney and Mexico.
Red rocks surprised me, and I definitely didn't expect a 3rd DVD from Elevation tour. Sarajevo is a legendary show :yes:

:hmm: About Notre Dame: is there a full band version too, or just the "Bono cam" version?

edit: woah - "There will also be a 5 Disc box in a metal case like thing that has Dublin 12/31/89 as an additional disc" an official Lovetown DVD?!? :hyper:

Last edited:
To clear up any misconceptions this is literally a paraphrasing of the email I got and part of the conversation I had with him afterwards, I have no other details other than what I posted and until its confirmed by U2, take it with a grain :)

I know nothing else. This guy has come through for me with inside info many many many many times (I went to college with him) so I trust it.

oh and apparently Mexico will be released in Mexico only to coincide with the tour dates for the Vertigo tour then possibly a future "rest of the world" release. U2 still have bad feelings about that whole show/situation.

As long as they're releasing Zoo TV Sydney, Red Rocks (wow!) and a Lovetown show (especially that particular gig)... I'm overjoyed. AWESOME!

bonosleftone said:
oh and apparently Mexico will be released in Mexico only to coincide with the tour dates for the Vertigo tour then possibly a future "rest of the world" release. U2 still have bad feelings about that whole show/situation.

Really? Why aren't they pleased with the Mexico show?

I think one of U2's security was beat up badly when they were playing there and the band woved never to visit Mexico again.

U2girl said:
I think one of U2's security was beat up badly when they were playing there and the band woved never to visit Mexico again.

Yep, because the President at the time (it wasnt Vincente Fox, I forget the dudes name) son came to the show with huge contingency of people, and one of U2's crew members got into an argument with the son when he wanted to meet the band, and the crew member said they werent allowing guests, the son took offense and had his group kick the living crap out of the person.

I found this on u2faqs.com

In the Mexico City PopMart video, Bono tells the crowd at one point, "We almost lost a brother last night." What's the story behind that?

After the first concert in Mexico City one night earlier, there was an incident involving U2's chief of security, Jerry Mele, and the sons of Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo. As the story goes, bodyguards protecting the Zedillo sons tried to leave the concert through a restricted area and ended up in a fight with TV crews using heavy equipment in the area. As the President's sons were leaving by car, Mele tried to get them to stop by standing in front of their car. They refused to stop, accelerating slowly until Mele was off the car. The accident left Mele with severe injuries, and that tour (which ended 9 days later) was the last he worked for U2.

U2girl said:
I found this on u2faqs.com

In the Mexico City PopMart video, Bono tells the crowd at one point, "We almost lost a brother last night." What's the story behind that?

After the first concert in Mexico City one night earlier, there was an incident involving U2's chief of security, Jerry Mele, and the sons of Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo. As the story goes, bodyguards protecting the Zedillo sons tried to leave the concert through a restricted area and ended up in a fight with TV crews using heavy equipment in the area. As the President's sons were leaving by car, Mele tried to get them to stop by standing in front of their car. They refused to stop, accelerating slowly until Mele was off the car. The accident left Mele with severe injuries, and that tour (which ended 9 days later) was the last he worked for U2.

Hmmm never knew that, I was told by a Mexican dude I know that it was the situation I explained above.

Pretty cool........won't mind shilling out money since three of the five concerts are new.......and a complete Red Rocks is a bit more.......complete...:wink:

I'm sorry, I just don't believe this (at least without any official word.)

The Red Rocks and ZooTV Sydney shows are a given with any future release IMO (although I'd much rather have ZooTV Dublin).

The Sarajevo show, while it meant a lot as we all know, just isn't a great U2 show. Bono's voice was shit; plain and simple. If you need evidence listen to the bootleg--Edge takes over singing a lot of the time because Bono lost his voice. I really really don't see them releasing this when they have the beautiful Santiago show, which is perfect IMO.

Elevation Notre Dame? I really don't see this either. I've got the bootleg dvd and must say that this is one of the most boring U2 concerts of the Elevation Tour. The only real standout is the first performance of "What's Going On." Also, this show wasn't professionally filmed professionally like the other shows. Every Elevation Tour show had 4 cameras; 1 fixed on each band member and displayed overhead. That's how the show was filmed and put over the web--I highly doubt they would release such sub-par video.

Last edited:
Spending more money on music related things :drool: They are the best band to their fans, those guys are just swell :)

Didn't Larry say once that even if in his whole 20 year career in U2 they only played the Sarajevo show, then it still would have been worth it.

Back
Top Bottom