The 2 "Best Ofs" - Strengths & Weaknesses - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2004, 01:55 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:01 AM
The Best of 1980-1990

Strengths

-Great for the casual fan. Lots of good, good, good music.

-Sweetest Thing is one of the best "new" tracks they could have ever come up with. Just so charming.

-Nice B-side collection.

Weaknesses

-I didn't know it was "The Best of U2/Rattle and Hum"

-Why the heck did they feel to edit out the best parts of "Streets"?

-Did somebody forget U2 made a second album? I distinctly remember something in between Boy and War...although I could be mistaken. I would never know about it though if I didn't accidently leave my CD player on after the CD was done playing.

-Track listing could be shifted a tad. I feel as if there's too much Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum in the same place.

The Best of 1990-2000

Strengths

-They really did fix the Pop songs. These mixes really brought "Gone", "Discotheque", and "Staring at the Sun" over the top. Sure, the pop feel of Discotheque might seem missing, but it sounds like a U2 song now. I bet U2 had been dying to do this for a long time.

-I appreciate the inclusion of "Hold Me...". It's an excellent song, and people who don't have the single or soundtrack to a so-so movie appreciate this greatly.

-The track listing is more or less pretty good. I can't complain too much about the order of songs whatsoever.

Weaknesses

-New songs seem a bit bland. If Electrical took that guitar riff at the end of the song and used it throughout, it would have been far better.

-The First Time? I like the song, but I can think of a million other songs that I would have enjoyed more than this. Specifically for the purposes of this CD, "Ground Beneath Her Feet" would have been an EXCELLENT replacement.

-"Even Better Than the Real Thing" is better than "The Fly"? At least Fly had much more flavor than a somewhat generic rock song, as much as I still enjoy it.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
Best Of 1980-1990
Weaknesses: No Gloria or 11 O Clock Tick Tock or Out of Control, any of the three should have been there instead of WLCTT.
my thoughts exactly.

also, the strengths of 80-90: aside from that, everything was well-represented. also, the b-side disc was perfect. there's more i would've included but nothing i'd take out, thus making it a 2 disc b-side collection! also, i'm glad they included songs like the unforgettable fire. it's a great song, and most people wouldn't think to include it. it's an underrated track.

strengths of 90-00: they picked the perfect songs to open and close the album. also, they included two new songs on there.

weaknesses of 90-00: all the new mixes on the first disc and an entire cd's worth of remixes for the b-sides disc. so disappointing. although i don't mind the new mixes as much as i *do* have the originals. but i don't have most of the b-sides! it would've been nice to have b-sides from achtung baby, for example. they put atyclb on there when there was already plenty of material from ab-pop to use. the fly and please, anyone? also, they included two new songs on there.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 11:01 AM
80-90
Strengths:
*Good b-side disc.
*Has all the big 80s hits.
Weaknesses:
*No suprises.
*No Gloria.
*No Out Of Control.

90-00
Strengths:
*Inclusion of he Firs Time.
*Good Gone and Numb remixes.
*Inclusion of Until The End Of The World and Gone.
Weaknesses:
*Missing The Fly.
*Poor Discotheque Remix.
*Hands could have been left of. I have no problem with Electrical Storm being there though.
*B-side disc missing songs.