The 12th (bonus) track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only on ATYCLB and HTDAAB that they have included this 12th bonus track for Int'l editions, right? Doesn't seem like any other album had this on any of the editions. If so, why did they start all of a sudden?

And do Ground Beneath and Fast Cars show up on copies absolutely everywhere except the US? Does anyone know?

Zootlesque said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only on ATYCLB and HTDAAB that they have included this 12th bonus track for Int'l editions, right? Doesn't seem like any other album had this on any of the editions. If so, why did they start all of a sudden?

Well if you want to get technical it also worked this way with the Best of 1990-2000 (The Fly).... the rationale that I've always heard is that CDs are generally cheaper in the US than the rest of the world (particularly in Japan) and so they feel like they need to give those paying more an extra four minutes value for money.

Original Soundtracks No. 1 had "Bottoms" as a bonus track in Japan. And the 80s compilation had "One Tree Hill" in Japan and the 90s compilation had "The Fly" in the UK. So they've been doing this consistently since 1995.

Although "Ground" was the first major one and "Fast Cars" was the first exclusive one (that is, it isn't alternatively available on a single or a soundtrack).

typhoon said:
Original Soundtracks No. 1 had "Bottoms" as a bonus track in Japan. And the 80s compilation had "One Tree Hill" in Japan and the 90s compilation had "The Fly" in the UK. So they've been doing this consistently since 1995.

Although "Ground" was the first major one and "Fast Cars" was the first exclusive one (that is, it isn't alternatively available on a single or a soundtrack).

How the heck do they sneak in One Tree Hill on Best of 1980-1990? Do they play All I Want Is You, then silence then October then silence then One Tree Hill?

mobvok said:

How the heck do they sneak in One Tree Hill on Best of 1980-1990? Do they play All I Want Is You, then silence then October then silence then One Tree Hill?

I think it was a standalone track.

mobvok said:

No, it's "All I Want Is You," "One Tree Hill," one minute of silence, then "October" (with the last three indexed on the same track). "One Tree Hill" was a listed track (not hidden or anything).

These bonus tracks are meant to increase sales in certain countries. In Japan and many parts of Asia, for example, the bootlegging industry was SO huge that most consumers would buy a cheap bootleg of a hit album, rather than the real thing. One bootlegger would buy the album, make hundreds of copies, sell them at little shops and reap the profits - while the artist and studio label made nothing.

Hence to spur sales for the real album, not the fake one, extra songs would be included. Extra songs were also added due to the high costs of CD's in many markets. Fans would rebel at paying so much for a CD with only 11 or 12 songs - but add an extra song or two and now it's at least worthwhile buying the real thing.

Even though CD sales in the U.S. have plummetted, so far, labels and bands have felt no need to add in extra tracks, unless it was a "special edition". Note that in the U.S., more and more special edition CDs and DVDs are being released. Often there's the normal version - but if you really like an album (or the artist) or a movie (or actor/director in the movie), you can buy the special edition at a higher price with more "goodies". This is how the U.S. entices sales.

Back
Top Bottom