That's pretty rude Mr. Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you are totally overeacting. He yelled for 2 seconds, big fucking deal. and frankly your attitude of 'you'd feel different if it was a woman' is sexist. Like it matters the SEX of the person? Bono was pissed and he said some VERY tame words to someone, and then actually apologised later...i mean WOW what a BASTARD HE IS. :|

craigp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K79B4z82Hw

halfway through before the solo, was the crowd pissing him off orwas that just a normal early bono rant?

To call this performance unbelievably insane would be the understatement of the century lol

and with regards to the cell phone thing, I'd personally also feel really upset if Bono yelled at me like that. I know you're all saying Bono's only human, other artists have done worse blah blah but it really doesnt excuse yelling and swearing at a fan infront of 50 000 people for no reason.

martha said:

He had a reason. Soemone was talking on a fucking cell phone right in front of him while he was performing.

and you know thisssssss how?

the guy himself said he wasn't talking at all and only taking pictures like the rest of the people....

Yeah, I'd feel bad, but I wouldn't be rude enough to be yakking on a cell phone in front of him.

What's the point of that, anyway? Can you even hear over the music to hear or be heard? Or is it just a lot of "I'm AT U2!!! WHAT???? NO!!! U2!!!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????"

If you're holding a phone up so someone can listen, that's different - you're still involved in the concert, trying to share the experience. But talking on a cell phone? Over a rock show? I don't get it.

:shrug:

It's the if it doesn't happen to me, i dont give a crap attitude. pathetic jokes included.
If he for instance pull down his pants and peed on the guy then tried to set him alight...then i think wow bono
Is that supposed to be funny now? maybe if you are 12 y/o.

The truth is Bono screwed up and the guy had all the right in the world to feel upset and that's all the matters. It seems some people will always make excuses for bono no matter what.

Last edited:
Bono's problem is his nice guy, gonna-save-the-world image. He needs a cranky old bastard image and then he would have no problems getting away with this shit. :yes:

indra said:
Bono's problem is his nice guy, gonna-save-the-world image. He needs a cranky old bastard image and then he would have no problems getting away with this shit. :yes:
Bono's problem is peoples' high expectations.
No wait, this might be their problem, not his.

hahahahah what? rockstars have urinated on ppl b4 it could happen

that explains those stupid jokes. hell, whatever floats your boat.

"He needs a cranky old bastard image and then he would have no problems getting away with this shit."

that's not gonna happen anytime soon so i guess he's stuck with his almost saint like - nice guy image. Besides many soccer moms would have a heart attack and die if bono started acting like that. specially the older ones.

Is the main issue that this happened in a concert? If Bono yelled at someone who was hassling him in the street, would it be as big a deal?

I want to hear the broken-arm-grabbing story too! Unless that was a link to video of it, and I haven't clicked on it yet...

Yes, losing your cool at a fan isn't good, and it's not good for your PR either. But as everyone has noted, he is human, and humans make mistakes. Lots of people (famous or not) wouldn't have bothered to apologise. Bono might have apologised for PR reasons or because he was sorry, or both. We'll never know, just as we'll never know whether said fan was talking on the phone (rude) or just taking pictures (forgivable).

Meh. :|

HolyMeximofoJoe said:
sorry if this has been posted before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1l0Gqj1whk

This broke my heart a little seeing Bono shout like that to a fan, hearing and reading so many good things about him and the things he does then i see this.....granted it's not THAT big a deal and he's only human, but still you know i never expected this from Bono

Your thoughts?

Okay, I finally got to see this clip and it made me laugh! Especially after having read some of the comments here about him being 'rude' or whatever! I personally wouldn't have been in the least bit offended, especially if I'd been on the cell phone and not paying attention, I would've felt well deserved of a little wrist lap, which is all it was coz he wasn't really yelling, from Bono!! :lol: And although it was only a short clip, you could see that Bono was totally in the moment, it brought back to mind his 'rants' during the Joshua tree gigs!!:wink:
Me want more ranting Bono!!! :rockon:

Chizip said:

and you know thisssssss how?

the guy himself said he wasn't talking at all and only taking pictures like the rest of the people....

Still rude if you're right in front of him. Are you there to listen/watch the show or snap pictures the whole time ?

And the guy himself said he's not holding a grudge and Bono apologized later.

:shrug: Anyone can get nasty when the right buttons are pushed.

Interesting though, less citisism on his 80's rants than now...and I thought people wanted a more pissed off/less tame Bono.

Last edited:
Re: Re: That's pretty rude Mr. Bono

hcbiggs2002 said:

Okay, I finally got to see this clip and it made me laugh! Especially after having read some of the comments here about him being 'rude' or whatever! I personally wouldn't have been in the least bit offended, especially if I'd been on the cell phone and not paying attention, I would've felt well deserved of a little wrist lap, which is all it was coz he wasn't really yelling, from Bono!! :lol: And although it was only a short clip, you could see that Bono was totally in the moment, it brought back to mind his 'rants' during the Joshua tree gigs!!:wink:
Me want more ranting Bono!!! :rockon:

He wasnt 'ranting,' he was being a down right arsehole. The guy wasnt talking on the phone either he was taking pictures like the 50 000 other people there.

Re: Re: Re: That's pretty rude Mr. Bono

jonnytakeawalk said:

He wasnt 'ranting,' he was being a down right arsehole. The guy wasnt talking on the phone either he was taking pictures like the 50 000 other people there.

Well now you're just taking my words far too literally! If you think that Bono's comments were offensive, then all I can say is you've obviously lived a very sheltered life!! I've had much worst things said to me by people I hardly know, that's why what Bono said just doesn't seem like anything to get so worked up about! But like most things else in this world, everythings relative!! :shrug:

Oh for heaven's sake what's the difference whether he was rude or not? Arsehole or not? He's human and sometimes he'll be rude and sometimes he'll be a dick. If he wasn't then, he has been before and will be again. And if he was then... :shrug:

Alisaura said:
Yes, losing your cool at a fan isn't good, and it's not good for your PR either. But as everyone has noted, he is human, and humans make mistakes. Lots of people (famous or not) wouldn't have bothered to apologise. Bono might have apologised for PR reasons or because he was sorry, or both. We'll never know, just as we'll never know whether said fan was talking on the phone (rude) or just taking pictures (forgivable).

:up: :up:

So let's say the guy was just holding up his phone to take a picture, like the 500 people around him. If I were Bono, and everytime I moved 500 cameras were waving all around, I'd eventually snap, too.

As someone who doesn't have a cell phone camera, trying to look up at Bono and seeing nothing but cameras over your head is pretty irritating, I must say.

But that's just me. :wink:

Of course the guy felt awful. I would have felt awful, too. But the point is, Bono must have felt awful too, or else he wouldn't have apologized. He's human. Guess what? He makes mistakes.

If you think he's not allowed a weak moment of humanity, you'd best get him off that pedestal you've got him on.

Last edited:
jvferrandiz said:
. Besides many soccer moms would have a heart attack and die if bono started acting like that. specially the older ones.

:lol: Bear in mind dear that U2 came out of the punk era so some of us older mums (I don't know what a soccer mum is as such but my kids play rubgy and football so does that count?) also grew up on a diet of The Clash, The Dammed etc and if you've ever seen them in concert then what Bono did was ultra tame in comparison.
If he shouted at me I'd be surprised as it's generally out of character for him, but I'd probably end up shouting back at him :wink:

I agree that Bono was just having a bad day and screwed up there with the fan.

Just to put it into perspective: at least Bono's outburst are words of love compared to Kramer's outburst a couple of weeks ago.

craigp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K79B4z82Hw
halfway through before the solo, was the crowd pissing him off orwas that just a normal early bono rant?

Better late than never... only just watched this.
That was quite extraordinary. I don't think I've seen any video of their early shows before, unless you count UABRS.

Very strange to realise that's the same Bono we see today. :ohmy:

martha said:

You do realize that many of your "older, soccer moms" are 1. as old as Bono 2. fans from the beginning of the band.

It doesn't change anything.

Bear in mind dear that U2 came out of the punk era so some of us older mums (I don't know what a soccer mum is as such but my kids play rubgy and football so does that count?) also grew up on a diet of The Clash, The Dammed etc and if you've ever seen them in concert then what Bono did was ultra tame in comparison.

I don't think you'd like to see your dear bono acting all crazy like "other" rockstars at this point of your life. C'mon. Bono's a whole different deal.

martha said:

How the fuck do you know anything about what anyone wants "at this point" in our lives? :rolleyes:

Our lives?? HAHAHA Who the fuck is talking to you??

Unbelievable.

martha said:

You do realize that many of your "older, soccer moms" are 1. as old as Bono 2. fans from the beginning of the band.

RIGHT ON THE MARK MARTHA,

WE CERTAINLY ARE, EXCEPT THAT I AM A BASEBALL SNOWBOARDING MOM!

Bono has yet to surprise me yet with anything he has done. He is far from Diva er esque....gives more than any other rock star and I think when people start taking advantage in various ways, I would say he is entitled to a little ranting and raving now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom