That Mnemonic cover of TGBHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
Remember that one? It was weird, because it actually came out a few weeks before U2's version. Apparently, the band Mnemonic, from Singapore, had seen Bono and Edge performing the acoustic version on a British TV show, and had taken the tabs from that and recorded their own version. I thought it was really cool, and surprisingly not too different from the dark optimism of the U2 version on the MDH soundtrack.

I brought this up for two reasons. First of all, I think its pretty cool that a band would make a cover of a song before the actual release. And that it would sound so great.

Second, I kind of feel like that could be the direction that U2 is heading in for their next album. It could certainly be darker given the recent world events, but still have that pure band sound. I loved TGBHF, and was actually a bit disappointed when BD sounded nothing like it, though I've grown to love ATYCLB just as much. The point is, we all know they won't make ATYCLB Part 2, but I really think this could be the direction of the new album. I, for one, would be thrilled if it was.

I know there was just a thread regarding the sound of the next album, but I wanted to kind of tie in this underappreciated U2 song as a sort of foreshadowing. I know I could be totally wrong, but it's just a thought. Anyone else agree?

------------------
Change is the only constant

I hope it is a foreshadowing of the direction future songs could take. I think it's just brilliant. One of the letdowns of the tour for me was never hearing a full version of this song (NOT acoustic). It's edgy and different, but still very U2. TGBHF and WILATW are very promising signs to me.
smile.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

lol. I think it's a good topic. Discuss, people!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 12-12-2001).]

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Yeah, and the music from We Love You kinda reminds me of TGBHF, so that's two clues in that direction.

Oooh, nice call, JC. Yeah, it would be cool to see that show up on the new one.

------------------

Bono does seem to big on the whole idea of optimism in the face of adversity.. like Walk On and songs like that. But then again his big quote recently is that music shouldn't take your mind off the darkness, but rather take your mind through it.. so maybe some slightly darker music is in order. I know I wouldn't mind at all!

The other interesting thing about the Mnemonic cover is that it includes a verse that isn't in the U2 song

I agree, love TGBHF...it reminds me (in that same dark sort of vein) of "Night & Day" - the first few moments of that song give me chills when I hear it.

Would love U2 to take a little bit of a darker turn, and would love for them to rock out a bit more in the next album as well. I love ATYCLB, but felt that it was a bit mellow for my taste.

And 15 albums later, there isn't a ONE that I haven't loved wholeheartedly. I'm sure their next one will be absolutely brilliant, no matter what it sounds like. I for one, CAN'T WAIT.
smile.gif

So am I to assume that not many people have heard this cover? It's awesome, probably as good as the U2 version. Definitely check it out.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom