Thank You Larry Mullin Jr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Golightly Grrl said:
Larry is such a mensch. I love him.

hee hee, exactly! the whole band really. I mean, as much as it was Larry who articulated it last night, I think this is something the whole band feels. Did you see Larry in the back while Bono was talking, conferring with Edge? It was something the whole band believed and thought and Larry gave it a voice for us. I take back all the bad things I said about the ticket fiasco. Things didn't go as planned, they didn't go as well as we would have expected from a band that pays attention to the finest details when it comes to the fans. But we can't blame them for that -- their minds were in another place worrying about life and death when they made these decisions. So be it. That's life and sometimes life gets in the way of live.

jick said:

No band has ever reached out to their fans in primetime tv. Other bands would rather kiss the arses of their record execs thanking them.

No other band has violated protocol and rehearsals by going straight to the crowd in SNL (twice - in 2001 and 2004!).

No other band has had 100 record execs watch them rehearse for the Grammies.

No other band has played 3 songs in SNL, and played even more long after the show was gone.

No other band has had their King apologize so touchingly to their fans and admit fault like they did.

No other band has lasted more than a quarter of a century as a relevant influential force in the music biz.

No other band ....oh fuck it ...let's just go straight to the point...

There is only one U2.

Cheers,

J
:up:
Thanks for writing this. It's a good reminder for many and it's news for many others.

You know, the band could have just gotten up there and given the usual b.s. speech most award winners give and pretended there wasn't a ticket problem at all - but they didn't. They acknowledged it when the whole world was watching. You can't make a more public apology than that!

It seems like every time I'm ready to give up on these guys that they prove to me they really are worth my trust. :heart: Thanks, Larry!

jick said:

No band has ever reached out to their fans in primetime tv. Other bands would rather kiss the arses of their record execs thanking them.

No other band has violated protocol and rehearsals by going straight to the crowd in SNL (twice - in 2001 and 2004!).

No other band has had 100 record execs watch them rehearse for the Grammies.

No other band has played 3 songs in SNL, and played even more long after the show was gone.

No other band has had their King apologize so touchingly to their fans and admit fault like they did.

No other band has lasted more than a quarter of a century as a relevant influential force in the music biz.

No other band ....oh fuck it ...let's just go straight to the point...

There is only one U2.

Cheers,

J

Brilliant. Can I marry you?

Larry :bow: That was great. The fact that he apologized ON NATIONAL TELEVISION during a huge event... I knew the people here would go nuts over it. That was a class act, there.

sharky said:

hee hee, exactly! the whole band really. I mean, as much as it was Larry who articulated it last night, I think this is something the whole band feels. Did you see Larry in the back while Bono was talking, conferring with Edge? It was something the whole band believed and thought and Larry gave it a voice for us. I take back all the bad things I said about the ticket fiasco. Things didn't go as planned, they didn't go as well as we would have expected from a band that pays attention to the finest details when it comes to the fans. But we can't blame them for that -- their minds were in another place worrying about life and death when they made these decisions. So be it. That's life and sometimes life gets in the way of live.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's almost like Larry's been handed the task to deal with this. They're dividing labor. Not that I love Larry any less at all, but I think they're just letting him do the talking.

I want to give every one of them a huge hug right now. A friend and I were screaming at each other on the phone as the whole thing happened. It was... awesome. I think it went right over most of the crowd's heads.

The whole ticketing issue *is* messed up, though. Ticketmaster down to the last, small-time broker. It's only a shame that it was U2 who had to catch it in the teeth. But I guess that's what happens when you're the best.

I love them.

Im repeating what everyone else said to keep this post up near the top of the board..............

It is a life lesson; people screw up, real men apologize (u2) and similarly real men (fans) accept a sincere and honest apology and put it behind them. Thank you.

Dragonfave said:
Can any1 here supply a mp3 of Larry's acceptance speech from the grammy, please?? I missed that frickin' part........... :|

Me too, I read about it but I didn't actually see the thing.

Back
Top Bottom