Terrible War story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
My brother just emailed me and told me something terrible happened! His printer was stuck and he took it apart to see what the problem was. He found out it had been jammed up by *sniff* his copy of U2'S WAR which had fallen into the paper slot! :sad: It was destroyed :scream: He said it's his favorite U2 CD and one of his top 10 CDs of all time and he was really upset. He asked me if I'd get him a new one for Christmas. He knew who do task for U2;)

Has anything terrible like that happened to your U2 Cds?

yes I lost my 12/30/89 Disc 1 cd, I cant find it in my room anywhere. One day I was listening to it the next it was nowhere to be found. I took my room completely apart one weekend in order to locate it but I had no success.

Sorry about your brother's cd:hug:

I was playing Pop one day when my CD player started playing up. I hadn't cleaned it in ages and it was dusty, so I was blowing away the dust on the player and Pop ... when I accidentally spat on the CD, and when I tried to rub it off, I only succeeded in making things worse. Now it's very tempermental and doesn't like to play tracks 11-12 (two of my favourites), and half the time it'll just make strange whirring noises whenever I try to skip tracks. I need a new copy of Pop ...

Thankfully, that's the worst thing that's happened to any of my U2 CDs.

..... :eyebrow: I read "war" and was thinking, like something terrible happened to someone you know who was in the war in the middle-east....but, phew, it was only the CD.

The really sad thing is that sometimes when I hear about wars, I think about U2 first and then actual wars second ...

Axver said:
The really sad thing is that sometimes when I hear about wars, I think about U2 first and then actual wars second ...

Now that's funny..... I do the same in terms of dates.... as in when someone's talking about a movie that came out in '91 I think.... AB era.... or 87-88 as JT era..... :reject:

when i first saw the title, I thought, isn't this the wrong forum for this? Alright I guess, I haven't been that obssessed lately.

Hah yeah, I'll do that with movies ... or whenever anyone talks of going to the zoo, I think of going to ZooTV. Going to the supermarket always makes me think of Popmart. I'm always relating stuff back to U2 - at school one day, my friend started pointing out random objects and I'd relate them back to U2. That was quite amusing and fun.

"Light?"
"Ultra Violet (Light My Way)."
"Car?"
"Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car."
"Tree?"
"The Joshua Tree. One Tree Hill."
"Road?"
"'Like a freeway out' - Hawkmoon 269."
And so on ...

I'm a bit too much of a U2 fanlad, I know.

hehe i was like that in math class when the teacher started going on about elevation and deprestion....
started singing in my mind "ELEVATION whoo hooo" :lol:

Haha! I'm known to hum the opening of Seconds all through maths ...

And NEVER say 'a celebration' to me, or tell me it's 11 o'clock. That can be dangerous. And everything bad is good.

Originally posted by bono_man2002
hehe i was like that in math class when the teacher started going on about elevation and deprestion....
started singing in my mind "ELEVATION whoo hooo

And if you had been on PLEBA in 2001, it would be even funnier:censored:

Originally posted by bayernfc
Now that's funny..... I do the same in terms of dates.... as in when someone's talking about a movie that came out in '91 I think.... AB era.... or 87-88 as JT era.....

when i first saw the title, I thought, isn't this the wrong forum for this? Alright I guess, I haven't been that obssessed lately.

Me too, I can't help relating everything to U2 terms :crazy:

I thought long and hard about what to call this thread, I guess I picked the wrong one. I figured some might think it was the other kind of war for a minute until they checked;) or anyone who knew me must think surely she's been here long enough to go to FYM:lol:

my POP CD somehow got incredibly scratched up, and wont play beyond Last Night on Earth...

its my favorite CD too:mad:

but, I had copied them all to my computer anyway so I can just make another copy

lol I always relate U2 to things in my Chemistry class. It's such a boring class I have to make it fun somehow! Like for example Dalton's atomic theory= Dalton brothers
atom= adam
mole(a unit of measuring)= a mole digging in a hole...
nitrous oxide(laughing gas)= im ready for the laughing gas
Au and Ag(silver and gold)= if you want a way out...silver and gold

there's more but thats all i can remember

( i realize im a dork) :reject:

I posted about this a while back - I once took a tuna salad to work for lunch, and in the same bag was my U2-7 CD. When I went to get it out, the tuna juice had leaked all over the cd. It still smells a bit fishy now, several months on :yuck: :|

That sucks about the CD! Your poor brother. :( :hug:.

I got a Rattle and Hum CD from a store that sells used CDs as well as new ones a long time back-turned out my copy was a used one, and once it gets to "God (Part II)", from there on out the CD skips. It's funny, when I look at the CD, it doesn't look like it's been misused-maybe part of it's been chipped at or something, I don't know-but no matter how hard I try to clean the CD, it still skips. :(. And that makes me mad.

bayernfc said:
Now that's funny..... I do the same in terms of dates.... as in when someone's talking about a movie that came out in '91 I think.... AB era.... or 87-88 as JT era..... :reject:

Same here on everything.

I've been relating practically every single thing my family's discussed as of late to U2. For instance, today, my mom was looking through a sports catalog thingy or whatever, and she asked my dad, "Do you want a Patriots sweatshirt?", and my dad said no (he's not a Patriots fan-they beat the Rams, his favorite team, in 2002), and I said, "Yeah, sucks that they lost, but you know that that's the game U2 played at, right?" And then my dad, who, ever since U2 lost to Justin at that TRL awards thing earlier this year for Best Live Performance, has been teasing me about that, joked, "That's probably why they lost." :p.

And then there was a Rams game at the Sun Devil Stadium a while back...and, well...you know what I thought of when I found out that's where they were playing. :).

Those who talked about classes-I remember getting a smile on my face every time my geometry teacher would talk about the edge of a shape.

Uh-huh, I'm not obsessed at all, nooooo...

Angela

:ohmy:

If anyone says a word from a U2 song I go off singing it... usually 'Seconds' it seems... and any other U2 song. I seem to get into 'Desire' a lot (candle, room, fever, guitar, fire... all of them!).

I'm so sorry about your brother's loss! I hope he recovers :hug:

I guess my biggest loss concerning my U2 property is probably the time "Boy" went AWOL. It was the last U2 cd I had ever listened to and was surprised by how awesome it was! Then...BAMF! It was gone. I couldn't find it! I looked everywhere for that disc, but to no avail. Eventually, however, I happened upon the CD whilst cleaning the comp. room. I was so happy! I played it over and over again. Ah, what bliss cometh into thine ears :drool:

But anyhoo, heheh, yeah, I can be quite obsessed about the band at times, as well. Sometimes it even rubs off on people! For example, my ex-girlfriend couldn't help but smile everytime in math class when the term "U squared" appeared in an equation (she knew my obsession with the band and always thought it was funny).
Also, this female friend of mine went to Ireland over the summer, where upon her grandmother told her about the band members of U2 owning the Clarence Hotel. heheh, she was telling me all about it the following school year :p

That is all...

...and there was much rejoicing...

Sorry :(

I got him a new one. :)

Seconds is one of his favorite songs, he can sing the whole thing word for word, with the USSR, GDR and all that. He wanted them to revive it for the Elevation tour.

Off topic, I was thinking listening to that song how in those days we still feared Nuclear War, accidental or intentional, and that's what it was about. Now that's not the big problem in the world anymore, but for years we lived with that. (those of you younger folk won't ever know what that feels like, and that's good!) That's why U2 went to Berlin when the wall came down, to celebrate the lifting of the old Cold War thing, as the book said to celebrate 'the end of the world they grew up in.' And wasn't it funny when they accidently got stuck in the pro-Commie rally?;) :lmao:

U2Kitten said:
Sorry :(

I got him a new one. :)

Seconds is one of his favorite songs, he can sing the whole thing word for word, with the USSR, GDR and all that. He wanted them to revive it for the Elevation tour.

That's good. :).

And I :heart: "Seconds", too. Excellent song. :yes:.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
Off topic, I was thinking listening to that song how in those days we still feared Nuclear War, accidental or intentional, and that's what it was about. Now that's not the big problem in the world anymore, but for years we lived with that. (those of you younger folk won't ever know what that feels like, and that's good!) That's why U2 went to Berlin when the wall came down, to celebrate the lifting of the old Cold War thing, as the book said to celebrate 'the end of the world they grew up in.' And wasn't it funny when they accidently got stuck in the pro-Commie rally?;) :lmao:

Yeah...the nuclear war scare-that's one thing I'm definitely glad I missed out on, for the most part (I was born just a few years before the end of the Cold War). Hopefully my generation will do whatever it takes to prevent that kind of scare from occurring again.

LOL, yeah, it was funny when they got caught up in that rally. I'm really liking that book. I'm just fascinated by how the new Europe affected them personally and professionally. So much chaos, so much change...added a whole new level of meaning to that tour.

I think one of the most interesting parts of the book that I've read thus far was when U2 was playing in Germany, in that Olympic Stadium that Hitler used to use, and they had the images of the old Nazi regime and the history of Europe on the screens, and the burning crosses turning into swastikas, and Bono was goose-stepping and everything. Just the sheer amount of guts it took to pull all that off...wow.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Yeah...the nuclear war scare-that's one thing I'm definitely glad I missed out on, for the most part (I was born just a few years before the end of the Cold War). Hopefully my generation will do whatever it takes to prevent that kind of scare from occurring again.

:yes: :up:

LOL, yeah, it was funny when they got caught up in that rally. I'm really liking that book. I'm just fascinated by how the new Europe affected them personally and professionally. So much chaos, so much change...added a whole new level of meaning to that tour.

I think one of the most interesting parts of the book that I've read thus far was when U2 was playing in Germany, in that Olympic Stadium that Hitler used to use, and they had the images of the old Nazi regime and the history of Europe on the screens, and the burning crosses turning into swastikas, and Bono was goose-stepping and everything. Just the sheer amount of guts it took to pull all that off...wow.

Angela

That's our Bono! :yes: There is so much good stuff in that book. Every time I look at it seems like I find something I missed before.

I think about U2 dates when I think back to something that was going on "yeah, I did this and it was two months after I saw them on the JT tour" or "I'd just gotten Zooropa when I wrote that term paper" , etc, etc.

U2Kitten said:
That's our Bono! :yes:

Yep. Leave it to him to think up something like that.

That guy never fails to amaze me.

Heh, I did feel bad for Edge, though...after the concert, he was talking to Flanagan and everything, and he was saying that he was scared out of his mind while that stuff was going on onstage :hug: :edge:. Not that I blame him. I'd be nervous, too.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
There is so much good stuff in that book. Every time I look at it seems like I find something I missed before.

:yes:.

Angela

My copy of Achtung Baby, my favouritr record of all time has been damaged for 3 years and I still have not got round to replacing it. It got scratched in my personal CD player on holiday in Goa in 2000 when me and my cousin were negotiating a particularly bumby and pot holed stretch of road on the way to a typically weird and trancey beach party (ah the memories). Anyway a tip for knackered CDs. I read somewhere that if you smear bio yoghurt on a cd and leave it for a couple of days for the organic mould to grow, when you play it back its supposed to totally weird out the music sonically on playback. Will try it when i have a new copy of AB. If anyone tries it and it works please post results, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom