Tenor Note on SYCMIOYO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
I was reading Bono's comments on U2.com regarding SYCMIOYO. He mentioned that he hit one of those big tenor notes that his dad would have been proud of. Do you guys know what note that is? I know it's the sing part, but which note is that?

many of the songs on htdaab have a high A as the highest note but the thing that makes this even more impressive is that he sustains it for several seconds as well as being extremely high. i also love the "YOUR the reason" shortly after the "sing" line, really powerful.

Yes, he sustains the A note it throughout sing, you're the reason I sing. This is the same note he actually hits during the high open voice of ISHFWILF. I remember Lanois telling him he's hitting a tenor note.

I was also listening to the Brooklyn Bridge version and you can hear the people in the background going "wow" when he hits this A note during SYCMIOYO.

well, not quite, but really really close. it's a half step off. but it's held for a longer period of time. actually i think his vocals at that part sound alot like ishfwilf. amazing stuff.

he did mention on the DVD that people told him that his singing hasn't been this good in years and that his father must have left him something (i.e. his tenor voice)

Funny thing is, his singing is all over he place on this record. The great thing is that it covers up for itself where it isn't too strong and shines when it needs to shine. Cool stuff. I'm excited to see the results after many nights on tour.

Bono is just exagerrating. A high A isn't that high. He hits that in Kite.

Also, I Still Haven't Found was played in the key of B for the studio version, so when Bono sings "stiiiillllll" in the chorus he actually hits an F# chord that is in the next octave already, so much higher than the A he hits.

Sure the song sounds moving and nice, especially the tenor part. But Bono's claim that he got his 80's voice back in pure exagerration. He sings very well for his age, but he is no 80's Bono.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Also, I Still Haven't Found was played in the key of B for the studio version, so when Bono sings "stiiiillllll" in the chorus he actually hits an F# chord that is in the next octave already, so much higher than the A he hits.

Sure the song sounds moving and nice, especially the tenor part. But Bono's claim that he got his 80's voice back in pure exagerration. He sings very well for his age, but he is no 80's Bono.

Cheers,

J

He didn't say he got his 80's voice back. I'll have to find the quote, but it's definitely not his 80's voice. I don't think he can ever get back to that.

Also, if you watch The Joshua Tree DVD, the A Lanois mentions is the highest octave Bono can hit before going to falsetto. It's definitely a compelling sound. I think it's more during the climbed part, but I'll have to check. The A in SYCMIOYO is definitely this same open voice vocal range. I don't think he can do higher before going to a falsetto.

Last edited:
in the last chorus of stay...the last time he sings "stay"...it's in full voice and it's an A#

edit: although if you compare the two notes ... it seems a lot stronger now. in stay it gets a little broken up. amazing...

Whatever the notes that Bono is hitting, I'm just glad that he has refound his ability to truly sing from his heart and soul.:yes:

I really love that story that Bono recently told of how he believes that his father's lasting gift to him was the gift of his (Bono's father's) voice.

Such a beautiful thought....I think it is true. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

No his voice is much better now then his 80s voice id rather have him being a singer then somebody that pretty much yells throughout every song. 80s Bono vocals were good but they are over rated. Bono is a much much better singer now then he was in the 80s as far as singing goes whether he has the range or he doesnt.

Anirban said:
in the last chorus of stay...the last time he sings "stay"...it's in full voice and it's an A#

Thanks for mentioning that. One of the all time great Bono performances. Gives me the chills just thinking about it. I think I may be coming down with the flu, but it usually does anyway.

That last chorus is pretty powerful on the Sydney ZooTV tape. I wonder if he hits the note fully there?

Every U2 concert where this song isn't played full band is a crime against music.

laz

Although this sycmioyo note is high, sustained and well sung etc, it's simply the feeling behind it that gets me, and it REALLY gets me, it's a very special U2 moment. He has the ability to come right out from behind his shell and completely expose his soul at times, and this note is one of those times. Thank you Bono, very inspiring!

jick said:

Cheers,

J

as usual you have no clue what the 'f' you are saying

cheers,

:down:

Okay, I had to pull out my CDs and a few concerts to put this together. I’ve already spent an hour going through stuff so it’s not complete, yet. I’m correcting a few errors that were previously posted and adding a few high notes that I could think of off the top of my head. Now, we need to determine a cut-off line. I think we should pick head voice notes above A because any good tenor should be able to produce an A without any problem. It is going above A where the line is divided between the men and the boys. Now, whether it’s the men or the boys that can sing above A is left for you to decide.

Hopefully somebody with more time will take this and then we can have a complete list of Bono’s highest notes. Then somebody will put together The Edge’s highest notes and the highest falsetto notes (Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, Lemon, AMAAW). Then, like good Interference members, we will see posts like “Bono’s Top 5 Highest Notes,” and “Best experience listening to a Bono high note” and my all time favorite “Why are Bono’s high notes on Pop so unde (or anything dealing with Pop for that matter).”

Bad is played in the key of A and many fans believe it to be Bono’s best vocal performance. Personally, I prefer the Dublin ZOO TV performance because it has a more mature sound. He hits a C# as he sings “I’m WIDE awake” in Bad. This is not falsetto folks. This is pure and unadulterated head voice. And let us also not forget that he was hitting that same note during the ZOO TV tour, except I think they were tuned down half a step. So, it’s really not the same note. But impressive none the less.

ISHFWILF is played in the key of Db. The chord voicing is D but the guitars are tuned down 1/2 a step. It was played in B in some of the live versions but not the studio version. The highest note he hits is an A# and he hits several of them during the verses and not during the choruses. The ‘still’ is a G#.

In Red Hill Mining Town he hits a C. “I’m hanging on, your ALL that’s left to hold onto…” I’m pretty sure I read that they didn’t perform this one much because it was so high for him.

Bono hits a C in Wild Horses, "Come on now love, don't you LOOK back."

Bono actually hits a B in Kite. “A man WHO sees…” But they play it a half step down in concert.

Stay is an A# as was pointed out. “STAY, and the night will be enough…”

It looks like Bono’s head voice threshold is between A#-B-C-C#. As far as the best note, we’ll have to let the populace decide. My personal favorite is Stay but the staying power of SYCMIOWO is very impressive. But, since it’s an A I’m not including it in my list.

Again, I’m sure I’ve missed one or two out there. Please flame me as much as you want for forgetting ‘this note’ and ‘that note’ because I simply don’t care—about the flaming; not the notes. If I didn’t care about the notes then why the hell did I spend an hour putting this together. Sheesh, get off my back people!

Last edited:
ADecentMelody said:

He didn't say he got his 80's voice back. I'll have to find the quote, but it's definitely not his 80's voice. I don't think he can ever get back to that.

Also, if you watch The Joshua Tree DVD, the A Lanois mentions is the highest octave Bono can hit before going to falsetto. It's definitely a compelling sound. I think it's more during the climbed part, but I'll have to check. The A in SYCMIOYO is definitely this same open voice vocal range. I don't think he can do higher before going to a falsetto.

I think he hits a B in Pride, besides the C# in Bad that someone already mentioned.

Oh yeah. Duh, Pride has a B in it. I know on the last tour they tuned down a full step. I didn't really notice until I was playing along on my guitar to a show and noticed it was in A.

This may be a little off topic, but what other "older" male singers are there that can still hit the high notes. Sting and Paul McCartney come to mind. But I feel bad for singers like Robert Plant that just don't have the magic they once did.

this is very debatable, but one could make an argument for a very screaming unclear D in spanish eyes, which would make it his highest ever. i personally think it's too "screamy" to call it an actual note but it sounds damn cool.

I have the book called "U2 the complete songs" and it has the vocal tabulation for EVERY U2 song up til 1999 so I could tell you exactly what notes he hits.
Actually in "Wire" he hits a D (yes a D!!!!) when he yells "COLD man, such a COLD heart"
But there are a couple of songs where there are LOTS of A's and B's, for example "Like A Song" and "God Part 2". These songs physically wear you out when you try to sing them!

U2utah2U said:

Bad is played in the key of A and many fans believe it to be Bono’s best vocal performance. Personally, I prefer the Dublin ZOO TV performance because it has a more mature sound. He hits a C# as he sings “I’m WIDE awake” in Bad. This is not falsetto folks. This is pure and unadulterated head voice. And let us also not forget that he was hitting that same note during the ZOO TV tour, except I think they were tuned down half a step. So, it’s really not the same note. But impressive none the less.

ISHFWILF is played in the key of Db. The chord voicing is D but the guitars are tuned down 1/2 a step. It was played in B in some of the live versions but not the studio version. The highest note he hits is an A# and he hits several of them during the verses and not during the choruses. The ‘still’ is a G#.

In Red Hill Mining Town he hits a C. “I’m hanging on, your ALL that’s left to hold onto…” I’m pretty sure I read that they didn’t perform this one much because it was so high for him.

Bono hits a C in Wild Horses, "Come on now love, don't you LOOK back."

Bono actually hits a B in Kite. “A man WHO sees…” But they play it a half step down in concert.

Stay is an A# as was pointed out. “STAY, and the night will be enough…”

It looks like Bono’s head voice threshold is between A#-B-C-C#. As far as the best note, we’ll have to let the populace decide. My personal favorite is Stay but the staying power of SYCMIOWO is very impressive. But, since it’s an A I’m not including it in my list.

Interesting info there, thanks for looking it up. For the musical ingnoramus(es), how do the notes go?
C - high C - is the highest isn't it? :confused:

What about the stuff he sings on Rattle and Hum? The "yeah yeah"s in Angel of Harlem? His lines in When love comes to town (my throat aches just hearing that) or the parts in God part II (the finish) or Hawkmoon 269 (also the finish)? And the ending of One tree hill?

Also, I think some of his HTDAAB moments are pretty great, the "I am, I am"s before the scream and the solo, the "dignity passes BY" in Crumbs, the whole of A man and a woman, and Original of the species chorus, and the "you've been keeping your love under CONTROL".
I like it how he really sings now as opposed to the maniac-like screaming in his 80's voice.

LOL, about the separating men from boys, l remember when he said "move over boys. we're men" when asked about boybands in 2000.

Last edited:
let's see - in original, those are A's. the "Heyaah's" before the scream in all because are A, A, and A-B-A so he does hit that B note briefly. the crumbs one is also an A.
the angel of harlem yeah yeahs are high Cs. i think wlctt are Bs.
yeah high C is not the highest note but it's extraordinarily high for a male singer. pavarotti was called something like the king of high Cs.
basically the sequence of notes on a scale is . . . A(1) B C D E F G A(2) B C D E F G . . . etc repeating in that sequence. so the first A here would be an octave below A(2). so if someone says a singer has a two octave range it means that if the lowest note they can sing is an F, there highest note is also an F but two full sequences above it, i.e. they can sing from F(1) to F(3). btw the parentheses notation is just to try and illustrate that notes repeat every 8 but it won't be the "same" note cuz one is higher or lower than the other. i hope this makes some sense. let me know if you want more clarification of the note system.

Just a quick question and forgive me if this has already been discussed on here. But on "A Man and a Woman" during the part:

"Brown eyed girl across the street
On rue Saint Divine
I thought this is the one for me
But she was already mine
You were already mine"

...there is some really high pitched falsetto in the background. Is that Edge or Bono?

also there are "in between" notes and those are the flats and sharps. so what i told you was the primary notes, i.e. the white keys on a piano. but there are also the black keys that are in between the white keys and so subdivide things a bit more.

for example, in between an A and B on the piano you'll have a black key and that's called either an A sharp or a B flat (same thing) and it's simply a note halfway between an A note and a B note.

Back
Top Bottom