Tell me something I don't know.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Seriously.

I want information about the band I didn't know before you told me. It can be about the music, the songwriting, the men, anything.

I've been a fan for a while, and I tend to pay attention, so keep that in mind.

I know jack about how to make music, and only slightly more about how to listen to it, so that may be your ticket into my good graces.

So.

Inform me. :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

The following songs were used as concert openers on Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky, Hawkmoon 269, Stand By Me, God Part II, In God's Country. Where The Streets Have No Name opened 24 of the 47 shows, the lowest possible number required to open a majority of shows.

during the recording of the joshua tree 'where the streets have no name' was apparently a major pain in the ass to mix/get just right. flood (the engineer working on it - a bit of a mad genius if you ask me) was losing it. he had the tape all cued up and was about to press the 'erase' button to scrap the whole thing. eno walked in (i think it was eno) and stopped him at the last possible second. were he a minute later, who knows....
:huh:

not quite correct, in "the making of the joshua tree" Flood tells it was Brian Eno that was about to erase one problematic version so they would have to start over with a new, but Pat McCarthy stopped it from happening

Although Shadows And Tall Trees and Another Day failed to make Boy Tour setlists, every single Boy-era b-side made the Boy Tour (Boy/Girl, Touch, Things To Make And Do). Boy/Girl and Things To Make And Do just survived into the October era.

Last edited:
Do you know why they abandoned Another Day (& Shadows And Tall Trees)?

Last edited:
Larry doesn't play drums on Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl. It is the drum track from A Celebration, only slowed down. The band had only two hours to record this song, so they had to be quick. In fact the lyrics and melodies were recorded in just two takes.

The line in God pt2 "Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight" is from Bruce Cockburn's song "Lovers In A Dangerous Time".

Also Like a song was only played live once, 1983-02-26 in Dundee, Scotland

Edge's wife Morleigh is the girl in the background of the With or Without you video. They filmed her stuff in LA and the band never meet her. It was about 5 years later that they actual met face to face.

Nisse said:
Do you know why they abandoned Another Day (& Shadows And Tall Trees)?

Not a clue at all. It surprises me they did, as they didn't exactly have a lot of material then!

Ok then!

I knew about Morleigh and I knew about the Bruce Cockburn reference, but those are still in the spirit of things.

The drum track one is my new favorite. :yes:

This is going well. You guys rule. :up:

Keep it comin'.

I could tell you loads of things about U2 you don't know....

...unfortunately none of them would be accurate.... :huh: :wink:

typhoon said:
Adam knows what the word "palimpsest" means.

Actually it wasn't Adam who said "palimpsest", it was the journalist. I remember because I had to crack out the dictionary when I read that interview.

Mind you, Adam could well know what it means anyway. He comes across as an intelligent fellow.

miss becky said:
Larry doesn't play drums on Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl. It is the drum track from A Celebration, only slowed down. The band had only two hours to record this song, so they had to be quick. In fact the lyrics and melodies were recorded in just two takes.
also, the drum tracks to elvis presley and america are ummm...i believe it's a slowed down version of a sort of homecoming, it may be backwards as well. if you have an lp of unforgettable fire and play the song at 45 speed, you should be able to hear it. then again if it's backwards then you need to have a record player capable of playing backwards...

The soul needs beauty for a soulmate-- "Always"

The soul needs beauty for a soul mate -- "A Man and Woman"

Sneaky Bono--lyric recycler!

Last edited:
Another Time, Another Place and With A Shout were cut from October setlists just one day apart.

Edge forgot the riff to A Celebration, thus it wasn't played much live on War.

Adam doesn't play bass on Race Against Time.

Larry plays keyboards on One Minute Warning.

"Edge forgot the riff to A Celebration, thus it wasn't played much live on War"
I don't think so. It was played at 5 War shows of the first leg and 21 times total. It was also a single. would edge forget how to play a one year old single, they could just rehearse it if the y needed? My guess it was simply cut because they didn't like it & that it wasn't a succesfull single.

Howie B ( dj , artist who produced Passengers & POP )
toured with U2 during popmart
for awhile...
till he was busted or arrested for something
i think , it was drug -related problem
after that , no more U2 for our fella

Back
Top Bottom