Tell me something I don't know.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thrillme said:

Ali was standing close to Adam one time, and he relieved himself. Not on her, just near her.

Still ... yuck!

Now, Adam, we know you've no problem with people seeing your willy, but no peeing on or near people!

beli said:

I disagree. I very much feel the middle to upperclasses can be socially more umm... emotionally unpleasant. I'll have to think of a better expression but embarrasing people can come easily to some people. As can being mean. Not that I'm suggesting Adams Mum is either of these things. I've never met her.

But I don't think we disagree at all. What I'm saying is that someone can be from a "good" background, i.e., with money and an education, but still have no "class". Real "class" goes beyond these superficial markers, and indicates how well one treats other people, as a human being, and without sneering down one's nose.

biff said:

Indeed. But a real woman of class would never have embarrassed a child by so obviously pointing it out, and making him ashamed in front of his friends.

Im pondering this. I think what you are refering to, at least in my English (lol), is someone "classy" as distinct from being of a certain class. A classy person wouldn't humiliate someone no, but a person of a certain class may well humiliate, embarrass, demean, flush heads down the toilet, publicly slander, demoralise........

biff said:

But I don't think we disagree at all. What I'm saying is that someone can be from a "good" background, i.e., with money and an education, but still have no "class". Real "class" goes beyond these superficial markers, and indicates how well one treats other people, as a human being, and without sneering down one's nose.

Yes. Agreed. We are indeed on the same wave length.

Lisa71 said:
Edge's wife Morleigh is the girl in the background of the With or Without you video.

and if you watch closely, about halfway through the video, the camera pans across her body, and you can clearly see her naked breast.

beli said:

Im pondering this. I think what you are refering to, at least in my English (lol), is someone "classy" as distinct from being of a certain class. A classy person wouldn't humiliate someone no, but a person of a certain class may well humiliate, embarrass, demean, flush heads down the toilet, publicly slander, demoralise........

I think this may be a question of stereotypes. We all know the image of the snobbish rich person, and the poor but somehow noble worker. The truth is somewhere (or perhaps nowhere) in between. In my experience of rich people, the more secure they have been in their position, the more open-minded and egalitarian they have been, not the opposite. Those who are barely middle to upper-middle class are the ones who must assert themselves, in order to show how superior they are to those who are in fact barely "below" them in rank.

KhanadaRhodes said:
k, i sent the boomerangs to both of you, thrillme and beli. :D

Thanks. Wow, trippy Boomerang II. Hmm I think I can make out Adam's voice, but blended with Bono and Edge's, interesting harmony going.

Speaking of Mummy Clayton, Bono once mentioned on stage that she was at a show and that she was one of the women in the world he really loved, or one of his favorite women in the world, or something to that effect. I'm sorry I don't have the exact quote, but I'm going to work in about 2 minutes and have no time to look it up!

More Adam info: he's recently received permission to make more changes at his house in Rathfarnsham. He's already built a watchtower there, and has an elaborate garden, including waterfalls.

thrillme said:

If you listen closely, at the very beginning of "Unforgettable Fire" the song, you can hear the sound of drum stick counting and "oh shit." Think it's Larry.

I've heard people talking about this but anytime I listen to this song I don't hear him saying "oh shit".

thrillme said:

If you listen closely, at the very beginning of "Unforgettable Fire" the song, you can hear the sound of drum stick counting and "oh shit." Think it's Larry.

I heard something at the end of it, but I can't tell if he says that.

Axver said:
The only live appearance of Stranger In A Strange Land to my knowledge occurred three years after its release, as a snippet in October 1984.

"10/28/1984 Vorst National - Brussels, Belgium
11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Wire, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, A Sort Of Homecoming, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Cry, The Electric Co. / Stranger In A Strange Land (snippet), Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride (In The Name Of Love)
encores: Party Girl, Gloria, 40
comment: Bono sings a line of Stranger In A Strange Land from the October album during The Electric Co. No other performances or snippets of this song are believed to have ever been done"
Now... is there a bootleg of this show?:drool:

I don't know if it was mentioned but Adam went streaking through Mount Temple once. :ohmy:

In the album version of "Please" you can definitely hear larry say "two three four" before he starts drumming again in the middle of the song...
But maybe that one's obvious...

beli said:
Lypton Village nicknames

Steinvic von Huyseman -> Huyseman -> Houseman -> Bon Murray -> Bono Vox of O'Connell Street -> Bono

Inchicore -> The Edge

Adam and Larry had unofficial nicknames in the Village. Adam was Sparky, and Larry was Jamjar.

Bono convinced Larry to add Jnr on the end of his name as it added the "jazz-blues band bit". "Adam Clayton just sounds black anyway".

:ohmy: What's Lypton Village?

I have something:
When Bono was performing in my home city in Perth on February 17th 1998 at the Perth Superdome(Shittest Venue on Earth) the entire floor was seated. I was one of them in the seats right near the Popmart b-stage. At the end of Until The End Of The World or LNOE Bono screamed into the microphone.. "we have to get rid of these fucking seats" pointint to the very front section of the audience. The next night on the new he said he was"pissed off because some of the audience down the front were rattling their jewellry"

thrillme said:
I know a website that could give more information about U2, perhaps more than anyone would wanna know, but posting it would kill the thread. ;)

Contrary to even published articles, and many a U2 fan, Adam's first vocals on a U2 recording was not "Your Blue Room" off "Passengers."

On "Endless Deep,"(1983), he sings the "where do we go from here, where do we go from here."

Also does some vocal work on "Boomerang II," (1984) a B-side from a "Pride (in the name of love) single. Never heard this song though.

Interesting stuff. I posted a question here about the vocals on Boomerang II, cos I suspected it wasn't just Bono on vocals, but I was told not to be silly! Looks like I was correct (smug grin)

beli said:

Adam has an English potty sense of humour (according to the same book). Adam and his brother used to put a sock on their willies and terrorise their sister.

Or something to that effect. I have just woken up and that was the last chapter I read before sleeping. :huh:

:yikes:

You must have had pretty weird dreams falling asleep after that! :wink:

Lesson, be silly!

Edit:

I have heard Boomerang II thanks to Khanada. Don't know if this is a slight on Edge, but I can't quite make out Adam's voice from Edge's, I think Edge is singing too. Voices blend together...only Bono's stands out clearly enough for me to pick out.

sniggirb said:
I don't know if it was mentioned but Adam went streaking through Mount Temple once. :ohmy:

Once? I get the impression from Bono that he's done that more than once.

Depending on how much stock you put in that U2 biography by Dunphy, while Adam was a bit of trouble maker, chatterbox, in school, a rebel of sorts, he was very polite to those scolding him.

He didn't care for the emphasis of one his boarding schools
put on sports, one time during a cricket game, he just sat down at his position. Moved to next position, sat down.

Wish I had the guts to do that, I hated football (American kind)during P.E. I didn't understand the concept, bored.

Towards the beginning of Lemon, you can hear something that sounds like "what song." Possibly Larry.

Last edited:
beli said:

The spaghetti incident - I, unfortunately, attended a finishing school and people were indeed shot to pieces for cutting up spaghetti. Its a real social no-no.

My mom (or should that be mum?) always used to cut up spaghetti (and she didn't give a rats ass if it was a social no-no). Of course I, being oh so posh, never cut up my spaghetti -- I just cram in a huge wad of it. :D

Sorry, Martha....I don't have anything of value to add to this thread. Evereything I know about U2 is pretty much already known by the entire world. :shrug:

indra said:

:yikes:

You must have had pretty weird dreams falling asleep after that! :wink:

lol. I don't hink Ive ever actually had a night dream about U2. Daydreams, yes, but sleeping dreams, no.

indra said:

My mom (or should that be mum?) always used to cut up spaghetti (and she didn't give a rats ass if it was a social no-no). Of course I, being oh so posh, never cut up my spaghetti -- I just cram in a huge wad of it. :D

lol. As long as you don't cut the spaghetti you're a "lady" in my books :up:

beli said:

lol. I don't hink Ive ever actually had a night dream about U2. Daydreams, yes, but sleeping dreams, no.

Hehehe. I only have dreams about The Church...but they are always just weird. :rolleyes:

lol. As long as you don't cut the spaghetti you're a "lady" in my books :up:

Thank you! :)

For some reason the only things I know that everyone else might not know have to do with sleeping arrangements in the early 80's.:huh:

They used to travel in a van (maybe bus, but I remember van) and they all used to set up their sleeping bags in the back of it.

(At least) One time in London they all shared a very small flat with two small rooms -- they all slept in the same room -- Don't know why. Could be alot of different reasons.

Larry and Bono used to share a room in motels. (I presume this means Edge and Adam shared one too) Bono said he and Larry were like the odd couple -- Bono's suitcase would "explode," while Larry was neat and insisted on sleeping in his sleeping bag on a bed with sheets, blankets etc.
Bono used to give him shit about that, so one night Larry got fed up and slept under the sheets. He woke up covered head to toe in a red rash. :D

*I know I shouldn't laugh at that, but I can't help it.*

Edit:

:dancing: HEY! I just realised! I'm THE FLY! :dancing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom